UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

+12
odo banks
chris63
RA
Ringdrotten
Orwell
halfwise
Bluebottle
Lancebloke
Nagual
malickfan
azriel
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Shouldn't trust the words out of most politicians mouths. Even the ones who really believe in what they say in the beginning get caught up in the big bun fight and lose their way sooner or later.

At this point, I have no idea who I would vote for in the next election. Most of the policies they talk about end up being something completely different if they get through at all so I normally look for who I think would represent the UK the best and at least give a go at standing up for what they believe... and be taken seriously.

So far all the potential Labour leaders look like a waste of space. I don't know enough about May yet... see how she does. UKIP.... never! They have fucked things up enough as it is. Greens.... not if Natalie Bennett is anywhere near (not sure if she quit recently).

Who is left (and don't say Lib Dems).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Talking the talk without walking the walk was a hallmark of Cameron's "compassionate conservatism" (admittedly with the notable exception of same-sex marriage); expecting May to be more of the same.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 pm

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion/553733/theresa-may-s-husband-peter-may-the-style-file.html

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{She has given all 3 of the crucial jobs around Brexit to leavers- Boris got Foreign Secretary, Davis Davis got the Brexit brief for the negotiations and Liam Fox doing International Trade- n other words he has to get all the trade deals the Brexit side promised would happen.
If it does go all wrong she can turn round and say 'It's not my fault, l I appointed the three remaining lead Brexiters to the job.' }}}

as a cunning plan that's not too shabby. Surprised
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:23 pm

if she means what she says and follows through I will be very impressed. I actually quite like her already, she has got rid of Gove, Crabb and Morgan, IDS nowhere to be seen. she has got the thumbs up from me already just for that alone. with Boris she is doing the classic Machiavelli, keep your friends close but your enemies even closer. canny woman. cant believe I am being positive about a Tory, but compared to the alternatives.....
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Interesting interview on the legal case on the application of art 50.

https://www.facebook.com/legalcheek/videos/1085558648189961/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Thought they were saying "Lord Panic" and I thought it seemed a very fitting name for the present circumstances. Razz

Definitely an interesting video. Wasn't aware of the legal challenges being mounted. Can't see it succeeding, though, mainly for the political reasons mentioned in the video.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Yeah, there would have to be a popular movement for either houses' to change the outcome of the referendum, I think. But we are kind of seeing that, with the amount of people opemly stating they have changed their opinion when they realized the realities of the decision, the duplicity of the leave campaign and the straight up lies they were told. Perhaps the lords or the commons could step in, as the majority in both are for staying as far as I gather. Mainly though, it is important, as the interview says to keep the governemnet to the letter of the as anyone else. (Which sadly is one of the things the EU will no longer do for the UK.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 am

Bluebottle wrote:But we are kind of seeing that, with the amount of people opemly stating they have changed their opinion when they realized the realities of the decision, the duplicity of the leave campaign and the straight up lies they were told.

To be honest I only ever saw like maybe a dozen tweets or interviews where people said that, but the media kept re-posting them over and over again until this narrative of widespread "regrexit" set in. Opinion polling seems to suggest otherwise, though, which is also in keeping with what we know from psychology about how people tend to form and maintain beliefs.

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/749691514373206016

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 IKOI0Ub
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm

really unfortunately it doesn't matter anymore, its done and too late for regrets. those who will slowly come to realise they were sold a lie are going to have to deal with that knowledge. the rest of us will have to deal with Boris on the worlds stage being called out by journalists for being an idiot.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm

It's a razor thin margin. Seems that all either side needed was a better campaign in order to win.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:24 pm

The better campaign happened, and it was Boris. Rolling Eyes

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 UJpDi UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I hope Boris gets his comeuppance one day for all that he did. Thankfully most of the others have.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm

I hope they all get their just desserts ! But, in the meantime its us that suffer their incompetence & we will not get recompensed for their stupidity. They, on the other hand will get a good Pension, have a very cosy house thankyou very much & fook off abroad when the heat of argument rubs the back of their necks. Us ? cant even afford a day trip.
"Going 'T back O' me garden" as my gran used to say. Holidays ? whats them ? I dont think an ex MP's standard of living decreases by much. They ride along on their so called "fame", eat good food at £200 per head & still run the old jalopy ( top range Audi or BMW or Merc )

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Talking of holidays... 2.5 weeks to go (sorry Az... I just can't wait!!)
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Thats ok Lance Smile Where are you off too ? Smile

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:23 am

Going to see some Princesses in their native homeland of Orlando.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:28 am

Have a good time, Lance! Wave

I wanna go back to Orlando one day and do Disney this time, though the expansion to Harry Potter World is luring me towards Universal again...
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:53 am

Have a nice holiday Lance Smile Wave

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:57 am

Not going yet.... still 2.5 weeks. Counting down the day though.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 am

Eldorion wrote:Have a good time, Lance! Wave

I wanna go back to Orlando one day and do Disney this time, though the expansion to Harry Potter World is luring me towards Universal again...

Well are there for 3 weeks so will be doing the different parks again as well as some beach trips, space centre and some chilling out.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:14 pm

Lance: look up Wallaby Ranch right outside Orlando. You can take a tandem hang gliding ride, and if you get hooked even take enough lessons to go solo. Will take up all your time and cash though. But a tandem ride each is surely worth doing. Got a few friends down there.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Where do they launch from.... it's so flat!?!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Pulled up behind an ultralight, then release from tow at about 600 meters AGL. If you seem comfortable your tandem pilot will let you take control for a few minutes in the air. If you seem really comfortable he may do a wingover or two.

If you have a knack for it, a 20 tandem package may get you to a solo flight. But of course they are very careful with the first solo - you may show up early mornings for a week and not get the dead calm air they require. I'd show up for the morning, then go off to Orlando once the air starts to get rowdy.

Anyway, it's a fun place, plenty to do if you have to wait for weather.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Whilst I do think their are understandable concerns about how Mass immigration has effected certain areas of Wales and England, the increasing xenophobia seen in the media makes me rather uncomfortable and frankly a little embarrassed...for hundreds of years Britain had no issues with immigrating in huge numbers to and annexing by force other countries...I get the impression some Brits only have a problem with a political union if they aren't in charge...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next