UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

+12
odo banks
chris63
RA
Ringdrotten
Orwell
halfwise
Bluebottle
Lancebloke
Nagual
malickfan
azriel
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by odo banks Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Yes, zombies....

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm

its at times like this when I think democracy is over-rated, I mean I wonder what the French thought as they saw the rabid Sans Culottes rampaging through Paris, I bet they didn't think ooh la la ere eez ze democrazee ooray! I bet they thought oh shit I am going to have some Farage-alike grinning and knitting at the foot of Madame G. The peasants are notoriously thick and easily distracted by Bread and Circusii or Gogglebox on a Friday night.
The insular racist OAPs have screwed the Youth, but as you said, the Youth have their heads too far up their I-pads to notice, and the ones that did notice were too young to vote.
Now Govageddon has shafted Boris, and Theresa May is busily shafting her Remain position, the country waits another slap in the face by truly pissed off European leaders, or Farage just explodes with swivel eyed glee, which ever comes first.
Meanwhile In Turkey.....
they are fucking desperate to be allowed to join the club, the most important club in the world, whilst the English....NO. HALF THE ENGLISH, NOT IN MY NAME YOU FOOLISH FUCKERS!!!!...are stranded outside with their snotty bigoted noses pressed up against the windows of power in Brussels moaning about the lack of cheap holidays to Benidorm.

you couldn't make this shit up.
not to mention all the internet numpties saying we have taken back control of Britain, forgetting the British ARE FUCKING EUROPEANS, what are the Anglo-Saxons, the Celts, the Normans? we are a mix of German ,Danish, French, and Dutch with a dash of Viking and Roman thrown in for good measure. We are about as European as it gets.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Someone famous - I think - once said something like: "Democracy isn't a great system, but it's the best we've got." And I agree, but this all shows us how unpredictable and unreliable (in the common sense area) democracy can be, and, also, how bad my memory is... Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 pm

ooh la la ere eez ze democrazee ooray!

Laughing

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Democracy is only good at preventing the worst possible catastrophes. I think representative democracy at least gives those elected some time to concentrate on the facts of the matter; the referendum is a terrible way to make most decisions.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:24 pm

BORIS IS GONE. F You OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY! slap laugh

Shakespeare would love this stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Orwell wrote: I have an emergency suitcase packed and an airplane ticket to Britain (just in case the wrong mob win here!), but now I'll have to think up somewhere else to flee to... America's out of the question...

There's only on sane choice: Canada. Good leadership and good beer. Nod drunken
That's where my backpack and I will be heading if things go horribly wrong in November.
Plus, Trudeau has just made Marvel Comic status cheers
http://www.fastcompany.com/3061046/lessons-learned/5-leadership-lessons-from-canadian-prime-minister-justin-trudeau?partner=rss

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 UJpDi UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Excellent choice, Dave. And it's far enough away from France that no ticklish questions will be asked about why I have a French surname and can't speak French. And Quebec is nice this time of year, I believe... Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Just found out some trivial Trivia Smile.........
"Thersa May who may well be our next Prime Minister was born in Eastbourne in 1956, her Father Hubert Brasier was a Chaplin and they lived in the Chaplins house at All Saints Hospital"
Tommy Cooper the comedic magician lived here as well. Lots of well known people have, I tell yooooou, we can breed them down here you know, oh yes.........

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:BORIS IS GONE.   F You   OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY!  slap laugh

I fucking called it a few pages back. Fucking coward!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Orwell wrote:Excellent choice, Dave. And it's far enough away from France that no ticklish questions will be asked about why I have a French surname and can't speak French. And Quebec is nice this time of year, I believe... Nod

Great! I'll meet you there! pub
I'm sure Leelee will be happy to sponsor us Forumshire refugees Very Happy

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 UJpDi UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 18 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:53 pm

I guess I'm prepared to repent all of my sins... Though I'll have to do the repenting in Canada, as I won't be able to repent all of them by Saturday night. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:BORIS IS GONE.   F You   OH HAPPY HAPPY DAY!  slap laugh

I fucking called it a few pages back. Fucking coward!!

Just so.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:57 pm

azriel wrote:Just found out some trivial Trivia Smile.........
"Thersa May who may well be our next Prime Minister was born in Eastbourne in 1956, her Father Hubert Brasier was a Chaplin and they lived in the Chaplins house at All Saints Hospital"
Tommy Cooper the comedic magician lived here as well. Lots of well known people have, I tell yooooou, we can breed them down here you know, oh yes.........

And I hear she can be quite hilarious... Not publicly, mind, as that will never do... No

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:20 pm

you know when something is so bizarre you are speechless? apart from this weeks politics, there was this today. Shocked Jewish MP gets heckled at ANTI SEMITISM RALLY, yes that was a JEWISH MP. Rolling Eyes Shocked like. wat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-ruth-smeeth-jewish-mp-accused-of-colluding-with-media-a7111061.html
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:41 am

That's gross. I think the anti-Semitism stuff hurt Labour in the local elections a couple months ago, deservedly so given the tepid response.

A little surprised about Boris backing out (apparently the event had been billed as a campaign launch which made some of the liveblogs amusing reading), but it makes sense given the shit situation the next PM is gonna be in. Can't believe the leadership election is gonna be Gove vs May (plus others). Whenever I hear about Gove all I can think about is Kafria's epic rants against him during his tenure as Education Secretary. Not that any of the stuff I've heard about him since has done much to change that impression.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 am

Boris did not expect to win the Brexit vote, was caught with no plan, and took the easy option. I was not surprised at all. Did you see his face when he realized the Brexit vote had won? Shock? Horror? Yep.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 am

I wonder if he thinks he can ride this out and run in a future leadership contest instead.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 am

He is such a punk. I don't get why anyone is surprised about him backing out. As soon as Cameron resigned and said the next PM would have to do the dirty work it was obvious (almost as obvious as the immediate backtracking of the leave campaign the day after the vote).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 am

Whenever I hear about Gove all I can think about is Kafria's epic rants against him during his tenure as Education Secretary- Eldo

{{I do miss Kafria- wonder what she and little (all grown up now I suppose) Squach are up to- hope all is well with them both.
The National Union of Teachers referred to Gove from the podium at their Conference as a 'demented Dalek on speed'. Which is funny right up to the point where he might be our next PM pale

Orwell- you are welcome in Scotshobbitland once we break free from this madness in a couple of years time- but you can't bring Odo, or any of the Banks in fact- we do have some immigration policies you know!

Noticed an interesting thing- o the BBC news page late at night- usually between 11 and 12 pm- they put up a section highlighting the following mornings newspapers- they don't have the actual full paper- they get sent a facsimile of the front page.
Now I noticed two nights ago that all the Scottish papers were leading on Sturgeon talking to the EU- all the right wing press negatively- what was interesting was three of the four right wing papers had exactly, word for word the same headline- but when I checked the same again in the morning before work all three had reworded their headlines to be different from each other- same negative thrust but no longer the same wording.
This smacks of the Tories feeding their friendly press the angle to take right down to the headline- before the papers realised they had all written the same story down to the headline, then a hasty bit of rewriting before print.

Talking of Sturgeon in Europe- she needs to get tough on the Spanish I think- yes they have concerns over internal uprisings, but they also have one of the largest EU fishing fleets, and Scotland as some of the largest areas of EU fishing waters in which Spain currently enjoys the luxury of fishing in. As always, there are compromises to be made- but you've got to have a bit of the stick too to make them see that!

Boris- oh Boris you complete floppy haired, upper class twat! Now also a coward, a backslider, and a man of no substance.
But some of the most cutting has been said by his own side- I thought Heseltine's summing up of Boris was suitable cutting-

'Frankly contempt. He has ripped the party apart, he has created the greatest constitutional crisis of modern times, he's knocked billions of the value of the nations savings. He is like a general that led his army to the sound of guns, and at the sight of the battle abandoned the field to the claims of his adjutant that he was not up to the job in the first place. I have never seen such a contemptible and irresponsible situation.' }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:11 am

Lancebloke wrote:He is such a punk. I don't get why anyone is surprised about him backing out. As soon as Cameron resigned and said the next PM would have to do the dirty work it was obvious (almost as obvious as the immediate backtracking of the leave campaign the day after the vote).

That's all true, but I dunno if he'll ever get another chance where he's this close to the Leadership. Depends on how bad the long-term fallout from Brexit is, I suppose. Either way, I think that the coward label he's earned now is gonna stick with him. He seems to be hedging his bets against that, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Rooster and feather duster comes to mind. You know, before and after. Hot air and deflation also comes to mind. Good riddance.

(I'm only just now starting to ask myself: why am I so stirred up by all this Brexit stuff? Maybe I've been subconsciously respecting the English all these years and never knew it! Shocked )

And thanks for the invite to a Liberated Scotland, Petty. I hope the family connection of McOdo to McBanks isn't held against me? Btw Odo tells me he would never want to go to Scotland due to some filthy Scotshobbit slur on the Bankses about a coal scuttle or something. He also said the issue was bigger than Brexit could ever be, though he did not explain what he meant.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:12 pm

The thing with Boris is that he thought he was the new Churchill. even wrote a book about him which Churchill's son promptly savaged. Boris believed his own English eccentric myth, but the difference between Boris and Winston is the fact that Winston had an iron will, he was completely ruthless and had the cojones to back it up, Never Surrender in fact.
On the other hand Boris has absolutely no backbone he flim-flams about in search of power ready to back stab and back down at a moments notice. He is a chancer of the worst sort, because he has led a country into disaster, for nothing, he is finished and rightly so. its our fault for not being able to see his Little Finger qualities until it was too late. When he was mayor of London I used to find him quite funny and a bit endearing with his floppy hair, I just didn't understand the beast beneath, ironically I think even Boris is surprised at what he has unleashed, but he damn well knew the lies he was peddling and went on regardless.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Well.. this has all turned out rather well, hasn't it..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm

Orwell wrote:Rooster and feather duster comes to mind. You know, before and after. Hot air and deflation also comes to mind. Good riddance.

(I'm only just now starting to ask myself: why am I so stirred up by all this Brexit stuff? Maybe I've been subconsciously respecting the English all these years and never knew it! Shocked )

And thanks for the invite to a Liberated Scotland, Petty. I hope the family connection of McOdo to McBanks isn't held against me? Btw Odo tells me he would never want to go to Scotland due to some filthy Scotshobbit slur on the Bankses about a coal scuttle or something. He also said the issue was bigger than Brexit could ever be, though he did not explain what he meant.

I heard we are getting a suitable immigrant points system like you Ozzies have, and the Scottshobbits are getting breathalyser points system.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next