Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by RA Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 am

That was pretty good.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah. Smile I hope they cover LOTR one day, either through HITB or a full Plinkett review.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Anyone else get one of those emails for a survey on DrOS? Same lot did the one for AUJ I know some others filled in.
I did this one too in full on crabbit mode  Twisted Evil 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Can't say I've gotten any e-mails about a survey, but I don't remember if I filled one out last year or not. scratch
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

It offers you a load of statements like "The film fully captures the feel and spirit of the book" or "The film misses the point of the book by adding what amounts to fan fiction" and you assign them on a grid depending on how much you agree or disagree with the statement.

Incidentally whats the symbol in your sig Eldo?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:24 pm

That sounds familiar; maybe I just didn't give them my e-mail or something. Shrugging

The symbol in my sig is the Flag of Maryland, which was previously the coat of arms of the Calvert family, which founded Maryland as an English colony. Maryland is somewhat unusual among the US states in that we love our flag and put it on fucking everything.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

I saw this survey on reddit the other day. I'll post the link here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/comments/1y6ltx/a_study_of_audience_responses_to_peter_jacksons/

Direct link to the survey.

http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit2/

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah thats the one Bungo  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 am

Surprisingly, the DVD cover features Bilbo prominently.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 91VJiRLZzmL._SL1500_

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 am

That's actually not bad. Better than most of the DOS posters and has continuity with the Bilbo-centric design for the main AUJ poster and DVD cover.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Why is the money falling?

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:27 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Why is the money falling?
It's floating actually. Rising off the ground. It's magic.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:28 am

The coins do look pretty dumb. The only rationalization I can come up with is that they're bouncing around because Smaug is rampaging.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Box office update: DOS actually opened really strong in China and reaches Japan at the end of this week. Those are its last two markets. Scroll down to "Around-the-World Roundup":

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3787&p=.htm

Domestic: $256,644,000 28.7%
+ Foreign: $637,100,000 71.3%
= Worldwide: $893,744,000

I don't think it's quite going to get to a billion (most of its markets, including the US & Canada, are pretty much done), but it could get close depending on how it holds in East Asia.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Hmm, is that good news or not? Not feeling massively crabbit today. I wouldn't be that surprised if it just crossed a Billion, China and Japan are quite big markets nowadays for 'Hollywood' films, I guess having a huge Dragon in 3d is a selling point, throw in a probable release just before TABA and I can see DOS ending up with $980-$1040 million worldwide.

I still say AUJ only crossed a Billion coz it wad advertised as a LOTR rehash, once people saw what they were getting, it did now favours for the box office of it's follow ups.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Peter Jackson's face when DOS doesn't cross the billion dollar mark at the international box office.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:42 pm

Bungo -- lol!

malickfan wrote:Hmm, is that good news or not?

Depends: do you want the film to do good, bringing more prestige to PJ's name and increasing the chances for spin-offs in this franchise in the neat future, or do you want it to crash and burn and everyone to acknowledge the films' flaws? Razz

Not feeling massively crabbit today. I wouldn't be that surprised if it just crossed a Billion, China and Japan are quite big markets nowadays for 'Hollywood' films, I guess having a huge Dragon in 3d is a selling point, throw in a probable release just before TABA and I can see DOS ending up with $980-$1040 million worldwide

I think it's certainly going to get close to a billion. China is probably the biggest and most important emerging movie market, and Japan is nothing to scoff at either. The question is how well the film will play there. DOS opened significantly higher in China than AUJ did (I think this occurred in several European countries as well). It will be interesting to see if how it fares over the next few weeks.

I still say AUJ only crossed a Billion coz it wad advertised as a LOTR rehash, once people saw what they were getting, it did now favours for the box office of it's follow ups.

AUJ was also kept in theatres longer than normal so that it crawled over the billion mark (and the $300 million mark in North America), and it only barely made it to either. I was definitely expecting AUJ to benefit from pent-up demand for more Middle-earth while the sequels would suffer, but AUJ opened so much lower than the LOTR movies (especially if you adjust for inflation) and DOS' drop-off has been comparatively light that I'm not sure how many people were alienated by AUJ as opposed to just being uninterested in The Hobbit to begin with. I haven't put that much thought into this, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 am

very interesting Chris, very labour intensive, Im half amazed the actors could act with all that green screen going on ? In fact, Id find it a boring pain in the arse ! Whats there to relate to ? How meaning full can a conversation with a bit of foam be ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 am

it's a bit difficult to find a real dragon..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Yeah, I know, dragons are a bit thin on the ground  Wink but, everything else  Shocked It just looks like hardly any other substantial 'thing' is there, its all boxes or props or green screen ? even the buildings arent there ? It looks to detached ? to alien ?
The Dragon was the best thing in it !! Cumbywumbybum actually gave it life, I liked the voice, I liked the sneering way he spoke  Smile So, wumbily cumbily gets two thumbs up !  Very Happy

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Smaug is still not as scary as the T-Rex in Jurassic Park I dont care how much tech they threw at it.

obviously Cumberpatch was great  Sofa 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Yer right Figgs  pale When Jeff Goldblum was hurt in the back of that jeep & he said hurry up, I was saying fooking hurry up to !  affraid Was a good T-Rex in the scare department !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:41 pm

I thought Smaug's head looked just like the T-rex when he kept it relatively still and wasn't whipping it around. I had nightmares about Smaug coming, and I was in Laketown every time. Then again, I had that nightmare before the movie came out. That T-Rex gave me nightmares too. I guess I'm just terrified of Giant reptiles  Shrugging 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 4 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next