Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

cheers Chris. I was wondering where you had got to.

Nice to see Bilbo on the cover, somewhere.....

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm

If I didn't know what a hobbit was, I'd assume from that cover that it was a synonym for wizard.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

I wonder if they'll have another "live online event" or otherwise start the TABA marketing shortly after the DVD release.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:cheers Chris. I was wondering where you had got to.

Nice to see Bilbo on the cover, somewhere…..

Spending a little less time on the computer these day's, been fixing the back yard up

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 1497943_10201000753694870_694481831_o
In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 913916_4651526859990_1677941346_o
In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 1523729_10201000751334811_356088321_o

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Dang, lookin' nice, Chris. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm

Looking really good Chris! Much more interesting than mine...

I think I'll wait for the EE/when I'm drunk and surfing youtube to watch DOC again...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 am

Eldorion wrote:I wonder if they'll have another "live online event" or otherwise start the TABA marketing shortly after the DVD release.

I remember the live event for DOS. It was the tipping point for me, and what made me change my mind about this whole Hobbit movie endeavor.  Very Happy Smile Laughing Sad Mad Razz Evil or Very Mad 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 am

I mostly remember even the highlights being incredibly dull and it seeming like neither PJ nor Jed Brophy really wanted to be there.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:16 am

Looking good Chris (and the garden!)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 am

Nice garden Chris ! I can feel the warmth pervading thru ! (lucky sod) I cant wait to get out in mine, minus the Eskimo outfit & wellies  Mad

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:14 pm

The UK steelcase cover for DroS. Maybe its like a game of Wheres Wally? But with Bilbo? Is he in the background somewhere?  scratch 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 905d2519ed7f_zps504a75bb

I still think they should have changed the name to 'Some dwarves, a wizard, and oh yeah occasionally a hobbit'
I suppose I should be grateful they have stopped insulting Tolkien by putting his name anywhere near this nonsense- in fact its absent all together. Sadly not so PJ- "From the director of Lord of the Rings Trilogy"- more like 'from the director who also destroyed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy comes an even worse abomination"

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Maybe it's a variant cover? (Not to give any leeway to Jackass)

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Not sure as the site that image is from is all greek to me  Shrugging (Actually I think it might be Greek!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm

These articles/reviews should give you a few laughs, or a massive crabbit attack:

http://kalimac.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/stupid-hobbit-tricks.html

http://www.scifiwright.com/2014/02/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-tolkien/

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 pm

From the second article:

I loved the first Hobbit movie and hated, hated, hated the second.

Really? AUJ and DoS were so different as to mean the difference between love and hate, hate, hate?

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Glad to see someone actually taking Olsen to task. He's used his soapbox to promote the movies for years. Obviously he's entitled to his opinion about them but he spreads a lot of misinformation in the context of his defenses of the films.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 pm

I found this description of Olsen to be very accurate.

usually a sober if unimaginative scholar

I tried listening to his Hobbit lectures on iTunes and found it to be quite dull.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Personally I tolerated a slim majority of AUJ (Until Trollshaws the film is excellent IMO, it actually feels like a film about you know a hobbit...) though I can't grade the film as a whole (it's too much of a mess) I was at least ambivalent about it. DOC I was bored/angry thoughout, I'm not sure if this was an improvement or not, but at least I had a clear feeling!

I've heard very mixed things about Olsen, as far as I can tell he seems less a scholar than an excited bloke with too many facebook friends, I haven't listened to his lectures, but I find him pod casting about the Hobbit films together with The Silmarillion as if they are somehow equal, rather nauseating.

It put me off buying his book, which again I've heard mixed views about.

And how do we know if these films are what Tolkien wanted or not? I at least am being Crabbit largely on my own terms.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 pm

The huge problem with DOS is that there is no first, second or third act; no beginning, middle, and end. There is literally no story arc. The climax is immediately thrown away when it turns out they didn't kill Smaug and the conflict isn't resolved. I know that filming middle films is hard, but TT at least had a resolution. DOS said f*** it, let's just throw a million things at them so they're confused enough to watch another film!

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:22 pm

Tinuviel wrote:. DOS said f*** it, let's just throw a million things at them so they're confused enough to watch another film!

Exactly! Especially if it's in 3d, then the the confusion is extra shiny!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

That second article was pretty entertaining (outside of a few oddities and errors) and it really underlines the monumental (literally) stupidity of PoS. It does almost, almost, make the first movie seem watchable.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Radaghast wrote:From the second article:

I loved the first Hobbit movie and hated, hated, hated the second.

Really? AUJ and DoS were so different as to mean the difference between love and hate, hate, hate?

A lot of AUJ was good, I thought. They had stuck as close to the book as I had dared expect where they actually followed the book's storyline. It was all the added stuff that ruined it. I think Petty's edit showed how much they'd actually kept from the book, and that the movie wasn't all bad. With AUJ, as Petty's edit shows, it is possible to separate the added stuff and that which is based on the source material. In DOS there's nothing left from the book, it's all a mix of new and better ideas to improve Tolkien's story.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 pm

I guess AUJ does look better by comparison, but the LotR films look better in turn by comparison to AUJ and I still don't like those Smile

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:40 am

malickfan wrote:
I've heard very mixed things about Olsen, as far as I can tell he seems less a scholar than an excited bloke with too many facebook friends, I haven't listened to his lectures, but I find him pod casting about the Hobbit films together with The Silmarillion as if they are somehow equal, rather nauseating.

It put me off buying his book, which again I've heard mixed views about.

And how do we know if these films are what Tolkien wanted or not? I at least am being Crabbit largely on my own terms.

I wasn't aware he was podcasting about the movies. I rather enjoyed his book podcasts. Not brilliant, but some new ideas. I'm surprised he liked the movies, though perhaps that was only the first one, which did have quite a few salvageable bits, especially early on as has been noted.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next