Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Smaug is far too big- just making him stupidly big does not make him scarer- I would argue in fact the opposite, smaller, the size he is in the book, is more intimate, more personal.
By making him so silly huge they lost something from the personality and the intimacy of the conversation with Bilbo (apart from the non stop sliding about after the Areknstone debacle  Mad )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 pm

And too nimble for his size. And short of two limbs  Mad 

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:27 pm

And those too!  Evil or Very Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah, he really wasnt right, in comparison with the caves etc, & I actually thought there was to much treasure ? I know he was meant to be a hoader & lover of treasure but hey, how did he get it all there ? a Tesco delivery late one night ? cheap rates cos Smaug ordered online during after hours ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Like the avatar Bungo

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

The treasure is massively oversized and the design has it's issues too, but the Bilbo Smaug scenes are still easily the best in the movie to me.  Shrugging 

And Benedicts performance has not a little to do with that.

Shame they were so short really.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm

And who needs an actual dragon when you've got Benedict Cumberbatch?  Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 pm

it takes a lot to wow me these days, and Smaug just didnt do it for me at all. It actually left me bored rigid. I saw it in Italian so I didnt hear Crumblybums voice mores the pity.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Far, FAR too much treasure.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Smaug is far too big- just making him stupidly big does not make him scarer- I would argue in fact the opposite, smaller, the size he is in the book, is more intimate, more personal.
By making him so silly huge they lost something from the personality and the intimacy of the conversation with Bilbo (apart from the non stop sliding about after the Areknstone debacle  Mad )

Hmm, I disagree. Making him bigger than he was in the book (though I don't recall any description of his size at the moment) wasn't the problem. The problem was the left-out and changed dialogue. The scene was still good, but a few things ruined it for me, like the massive amount of treasure, Bilbo not wearing his ring. Extremely Crabbit 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 pm

You are right in that, Ringo. But it was still my favourite part of the movie.

I rather wish they had taken the time to have Bilbo go down twice like in the book. But it seems it was more important to get in stuff like this.  Rolling Eyes 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Tumblr_mzslvjc6tT1tqu3ngo2_500

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Tumblr_mzslvjc6tT1tqu3ngo1_500

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Yeah Laughing

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 am

Indeed. I was very much annoyed by Bilbo's only going down once... And then being followed down by the dwarves as well!
And then of course all the hurdley-furdley that followed with gold-smithing Smaug a new skin.
Subtlety thy name shall never be Peter Jackson's Hobbit.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:22 pm

I can't help but wonder what Smaug would have looked like if they went down the red/gold colour scheme suggested by the book, it would look rather bold in 3d.

Subtlety will never be Jackson's strong point, but based on the Smaug fight neither will set pieces...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 pm

The people who took the pictures of the Smaug airplane agreed, since they used red and gold lights to make him look much better. Nod

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 CIz6bdN
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 pm

"What?! It's supposed to be golden? Oh, I'll give those bloody purists a golden dragon if that's what they want."

Peter Jackson at a DOS script meeting?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Now I think about I'm kinda glad they didn't feature the talking purse, they probably make him into a flesh eating minion of Azog's or something.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:27 pm

The purse would have been to much like Harry Potter I reckon, & I dont want any of that nonsense when Im immersed in Tolkien  Evil or Very Mad

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:45 pm

I never really thought much about the talking purse. I kind of thought it wasn't literally saying, "Ere! Oo' are you?" but just making a noise of some sort (like a squeaking noise maybe). Even if that's not the right interpretation, the movie could have done something like that. Even a talking purse isn't that much of a leap in a world where magic exists.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 pm

I walked out of FOTR once I realized that they'd cut the talking fox and I've hated PJ ever since. F You
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 pm

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 5 Smaug_Pgs22_23

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 pm

malickfan wrote:Now I think about I'm kinda glad they didn't feature the talking purse, they probably make him into a flesh eating minion of Azog's or something.

having heard the crude humour in AUJ/DOS its probably better not to have a Talking Purse, they would have ruined the magic
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 pm

What magic?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:What magic?

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 am

Eldorion wrote:I walked out of FOTR once I realized that they'd cut the talking fox and I've hated PJ ever since. F You
There is no talking fox. Reread that section and you'll see it's only the fox's thoughts, nothing more.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next