Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Norc Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm

it is. that one at least.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Sounds like two recordings spliced together, which is not all unusual, but as others have pointed out splicing it in the middle of a word is a bit more unusual (Or at least if its not unusual its not normally done so clumsily that it sticks out so much).
I tend to have sympathy for the editing guys in these situations as they have to work with what they get, and I assume there was some problem with the sound recorded for that bit, or from the Coven still rewriting the script even after the actors have finished doing all the acting and long since gone home.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 pm

I think the original line must have been "with every victory this evil whips butt". Hence saving the initial consonant from the best take.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:40 pm

The original line must have been, "With every frame this movie just blows."

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Cue random Crabbit, came across this interview with Jed Brophy posted on TORn:

http://critics-associated.com/features/interview-with-jed-brophy/

This stood out to me:

I hear you are a keen Tolkien fan. Even before the making of The Hobbit there were talks about a film version of The Silmarillion – although at the moment it does not seem likely. What are your thoughts about that? Would you like to see it?

Yes of course I would love to see it but to be honest I am not sure even Peter and Fran and Phillipa and all the amazing family of film makers they work with could do justice to the scope of the material. It is so complicated and non linear and so full of incredible landscapes and peoples. For me it really works as a book. I also think we should honour the wishes of the author on this one. It is childish to assume we can force the issue. Some things should stay as they are and for me it will always be one of my favourite pieces of literature

So now they want to honour the wishes of the author...(which I wonder Christopher or John Reul...).

Grr.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:53 pm

That's just cuz they can't get their filthy hands on the rights to it. If they could WB would be all over it. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:58 pm

bungobaggins wrote:The original line must have been, "With every frame this movie just blows."
"With each new movie, Peejers' ego grows larger!!!"

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 pm

One thing I wondered about the Barrels on the river scene was the 'go pro' handheld shots, they were clearly shot by lower definition cameras, but they didn't upscale them for the film, maybe they were random inserts by spare cameras in reshoots? Or did the editors get lazy(ier)? I recall reading an interview with Jackson or someone where they said they spent alot of time toning down the colour scheme of DOS to make it look less artificial (which it did, at least in terms of picture quality) so why did they miss this? Hmmm.

I dread to think what Peejer will do to Dr Who if his deal goes through...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:32 pm

I heard a bunch about the Go Pro shot (or shots? I thought there was only one) so I was on the lookout for it my second time in theatres. To be fair, I saw it in 3D, which can make the image fuzzier in general, but I couldn't really tell which shot was supposed to be the really bad one. Sure, things get a little indistinct when there's water splashing on the camera, but I think that'd be true even with better ones, especially considering how much it was moving.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Perhaps, but I saw it in 2d on a normal screen and it was pretty clear that they stood out...or maybe I (and everyone else) was imagining things, I probably won't watch DOS again until the EE comes out (more out of a sense of morbid curiosity and duty than pleasure) so I guess I'll take you word for it.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

On a side note how accurate was my nickname for film 2:

The Tauriel: Desolation of Canon. I wrote that as a sarcastic joke when I joined...but looking back it was scarily accurate.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm

malickfan wrote:Perhaps, but I saw it in 2d on a normal screen and it was pretty clear that they stood out...or maybe I (and everyone else) was imagining things, I probably won't watch DOS again until the EE comes out (more out of a sense of morbid curiosity and duty than pleasure) so I guess I'll take you word for it.

I've heard enough people say that there was one (or more) really obvious low-quality shot in the barrel scene, so I can believe that it was there.  But it just wasn't noticeable enough for me.  Or maybe I blinked at the wrong time or something, though I was trying not to. Shrugging

malickfan wrote:On a side note how accurate was my nickname for film 2:

The Tauriel: Desolation of Canon. I wrote that as a sarcastic joke when I joined...but looking back it was scarily accurate.

I had figured it was more of a serious prediction based on the trailers than a joke. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:49 pm

I didn't even watch the trailers (I saw one by accident in the cinema), but I was banking on most of the rumours being rumours. I used to have that as my signature on TORN, a few people were under the impression I was taking the mickey out of negative viewpoints, apparently sarcasm is lost on them.

Still at least that bodes well for Billy Connoly's mohawk and armoured war pig in the BOFA!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Here's the clip that shows the GoPro shots. It's fairly obvious.

But in case you can't find them, they occur at 0:15 and 0:22 and 0:34. Video quality is pretty shitty, but once the DVD is released it will be even more apparent.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 am

I mean, I noticed that they looked different, but I think it's more just the extreme amount of movement that makes them look so rather than a glaring difference in video quality (though obviously that's hard to judge in compressed YouTube form). Then again, you can't really get that handheld look with a pair of RED cameras filming through mirrors, or whatever the contraption they used on TH was, so it does make the Go Pro shots more jarring than they might otherwise have been.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:15 am

the go pro doesn't have any filters on i think, it's more blue, and it has a shitty quality...... very hard to miss.

but i guess they didn't want to take those expensive 3D cameras underwater.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 am

No excuse for Peejeers to get lazy, (as he will) & not use decent under water cameras. He's that fond of bragging about his toys ! Richard Attenborough & Nat. Geo use good under water camera's ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:05 am

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/benedict-cumberbatch-39-smaug-motion-capture-wasn-t-144700470.html

i feel bad about ben now.. he kept saying in every interview that he also did mo-cap..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

Just another to add to the long list of stuff PJ pissed money away on to no good effect.  Mad 

I wonder if he will ever make a film where he has a clear vision of his aims at the start and is not still making it up two years after its supposed to be finished?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

No, it makes sense. A human body can't be used to simulate a dragon, but using his movements to sync the dragon movements with the voice is very useful. I wouldn't say BC's mo-cap was wasted, though simple video may have done as well.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Heh, it's sort of the opposite of Gollum in LOTR where they hired Andy Serkis to do voice work and never intended for him to do mocap, or stick around for more than a couple of weeks. Razz

Halfy is right, though. I too wondered to what extent Cumbabybatter could really sync his movements with that of a dragon.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Either C-bums didn't understand to what extent his mo-cap work would be used, or he was not informed about it, because he kept pushing that mo-cap narrative during press junket interviews.

It does make sense that they would only use it for reference.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 am

well, now it does..
In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Tumblr_n16ml2GzRO1r1eamko3_500
In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Tumblr_n16ml2GzRO1r1eamko1_500In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Tumblr_n16ml2GzRO1r1eamko2_500In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 Tumblr_n16ml2GzRO1r1eamko4_500

more here 
http://muchadoaboutbenedict.tumblr.com/post/77028270205/deareje-new-thehobbit-smaug-more (and a video)

i see now.. that's not ben... that's a dragon.. Shocked
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 am

Well what I am seeing there is more of Smaug's personality coming through in those few gifs than I saw in the entire finished product in the film.
Shame they didn't use more reference from him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Comes out April 7th (i think)

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 2 034

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/18/hobbit-virtual-poster-exclusive/

Last edited by chris63 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next