Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 am

bungobaggins wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:What magic?

ah of course!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:09 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:There is no talking fox. Reread that section and you'll see it's only the fox's thoughts, nothing more.

I know that, but "the fox whose thoughts we can hear" doesn't work so well in a pithy (and sarcastic, as anyone who's read my other posts about the movies should know) comment. Wink And the fox's thoughts are still way more sophisticated than one expects from a fox, so it's close enough for my purposes.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:02 am

bungobaggins wrote:In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Smaug_Pgs22_23

maybe he should'v had six limbs...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

Eldorion wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:There is no talking fox. Reread that section and you'll see it's only the fox's thoughts, nothing more.

I know that, but "the fox whose thoughts we can hear" doesn't work so well in a pithy (and sarcastic, as anyone who's read my other posts about the movies should know) comment. ;)And the fox's thoughts are still way more sophisticated than one expects from a fox, so it's close enough for my purposes.
Ah of course. Sorry about that.
Of course in the film, Pippin has less overall sophisticated thought than that fox did in his brief book cameo.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 am

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 1969135_10152294161208478_1237001538_n
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 am

pale Errrr, he looks like hes gonna kill someone at an Ice hockey game

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am

haha yes.. or he really hates that fluffball..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm

As someone quite insightfully said, who needs a dragon when you have Benedict Cumberbatch.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Ah of course. Sorry about that.
Of course in the film, Pippin has less overall sophisticated thought than that fox did in his brief book cameo.

lol!

And it's no problem; you were of course correct and I'm the last person to complain about someone correcting others' facts. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:47 pm

I'll take Richard Boone over Derelict Cabbagepatch any day Razz

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Hmm, that was better than I remembered (not having seen the animated Hobbit in years), but I don't think I'd put him above Cumberbatch. The Smaug performance was probably the highlight (or one of them) of both versions of The Hobbit though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm not about to award any points to this horrendous film, so Cumbersome loses by association Very Happy

Also, his voice was altered making it practically unrecognizable, thus making me curious about the praise. Any decent voice actor could have done as good a job or better. I can't recall hearing this much (if any praise) over a vocal performance, so I'm wondering if there isn't some cult of personality thing going on here; as if it's more about him than the character. And even if it was the best vocal performance ever, it's wasted on this terrible movie.

Then there's the motion capture: first of all, why? And second of all, never mind, I don't care Razz

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 pm

lol!

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Well there is certainly a faction of people dedicated to Cumberbatch no matter what (not that I'm naming any names here Rolling Eyes) but I think a lot of people just wanted to find something nice to say about the movie and Smaug was a pretty impressive creation (both visually and audially) despite the problems with how he was utilized (and the size factor).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm

I wanted Smaug to be more reddy-golden, well, more red than gold but, goldy red, with more red than gold. So yeah, red with a touch of gold. But more red, if you see what I mean

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:What magic?

I take it you dont think the Talking Purse was magical?  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm

For me it had more to do with the Smaug Bilbo scene in it's entirety. Shrugging 

That was the one moment where I felt the movie slowed down enough to allow for some contemplation and the one time I felt the spririt of Tolkien seeping through. Thoughts of what might have been and so on. Not that it didn't have it's issues as well. And Cumberbatch, by association, gets a fair bit of credit from me for that.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm

radagast, did u watch the video i posted a link to? there is some behind the scenes stuff with benedict, before the sound was "altered"
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:35 pm

This link?

http://muchadoaboutbenedict.tumblr.com/post/77028270205/deareje-new-thehobbit-smaug-more

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Oh, I missed that.

That was a lot more similar to the finished product than I expected.. Shocked I might even say preferable to..

And for all the talk about his motion capture work being used or not, it obviously had a large impact on how the voice came out.

And he obviously put a lot of work in. I can fully understand that he's proud of that.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:09 pm

I might have appreciated the effort more if it was to create a scene closer to the book Shrugging

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Well, we agree on that Radaghast. Nod I would too.

All the while I'm saying it was easily my favourite part of the movie, I'm very open to the fact that it still had it's issues.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Like Smaug not being red enough ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Haha, yeah.

And Bilbo only going down once not twice, not wearing the ring, the Saurons eye bit. A whole range of issues seemingly.  Laughing 

Still my favourite scene though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

I just saw a snippet on youtube where it is in French, sounded so much better ! thats the secret, watch the fooking thing in French I say !  Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next