Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 pm

The sister said Bilbo was a girl and after a little discussion the older sibling just went with it and he/she discovered that the story floated just as good- Norc

I think a lot of things would work that way, I gave earlier the example of Ripley in Alien having been written as male and them not changing the dialogue, Sigourney Weaver brought the feminine side to the role through her interpretation, not the writing.

And whilst I would not have  been happy with an adaptation on screen where the lead was female, as I think Bilbo represents universal ideals as it is, I think its a good idea if you are reading the story to a little girl who wants a little girl in her stories to change the gender.
As Bilbo is universal it wont change the meaning or the story a jot. And you would have a story where the girl is not needing rescued by princes (only old wizards) and is not trying to win a prince either.

"i both agree with figg and Petty"- Norc

How dare you! A consensus! How can I be crabbit in a consensus? Evil or Very Mad  I blame Eldo for this sort of thing  Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Norc Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:28 pm

well, that was exactly the point i was trying to make when i mentioned Bilbo being female, it doesn't make any difference because the "message" is universal.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:45 pm

so if we see Sauron in this movie.. or the "necromancer".. will he look like Benedict? like can that adorable dork be scary? *points at avatar* --->

maybe Very Happy
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Tumblr_n9ha8tPbrx1s52vkgo1_500
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Shocked Sofa drunken 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Norc wrote:haha, you thought i was just another witless fangirl Laughing there is more to little norc than meets the eye ;D

Hey know, I remember our march across Rohan distances thread.

{{{Yes, I recognize those quotes. Wink}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Great drawing Norc,  Very Happy  I feel confident Crumblebum can play 'menacing' if asked to. He may seem sweet & cuddly but, as me mum said "its the quiet ones you have to watch out for"  Nod

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:

I have a flight in the morning so I'd better get to bed myself!

That's no way to travel the mid-west! You have to drive, silly! Mad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 am

Do they even have airports in the Midwest? scratch
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 am

Chicago...

Minneapolis...

{{{Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Laughing}}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:46 am

They've got plenty! Milwaukee, Columbus, St. Louis, Indianapolis. Don't sell us short!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:50 am

And I think a lot of writers can learn a thing or two about Gender Neutrality from reading Tolkien. He's very good at it. Also, he's good at making female characters who are strong because they are feminine (like Galadriel or Luthien) or men who are strong because they are humble (Aragorn or Faramir). He's not making any character be anything extraordinary in terms of gender role, but they are extraordinary because they are so true to themselves. Which of course goes back to Bilbo never really changing who he is in the story but changing how he sees the world. And he's so easy to get along with because who doesn't like food and comfort and feels completely and utterly confused when thrust into new and frightening situations? Gender doesn't even apply there.

What would Bilbo's name be if he were a girl? Begonia?

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:55 pm

well said Tin, totally agree Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 pm

Nod  yeah thats true.

what about Bilbona or Bilbetta?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:40 pm

how about Bilbo being a girl's name too? Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Bilbao?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Bilbeena

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:24 am

I was thinking flowers, since all the female hobbits are flowers? Begonia is the only thing I thought of with a B

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 am

Ooh that's actually a good one.

There are a few gemstone female Hobbits though, right? At the very least there's Pearl Took. I can't think of many gemstones that start with B. "Beryl" maybe, but I'm not really sold on that as a Hobbit name.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 am

I was thinking flowers would be better, Briony ?

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Cracked.com quotes the following from the AUJ Appendices, but I don't know if it was taken out of context.

Peter Jackson wrote:For a long time I thought that going back to the amazing experience of Lord of the Rings would be a good idea. But, ultimately, I've come around, because films are stressful and hard to make ... if somebody came up to me and said, 'You know, we can carry on pre-production for another six weeks,' I would just say, 'No, no, hell no, let's just start shooting.'

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-behind-the-scenes-features-that-show-why-movies-went-wrong/

It's quoted in support of an argument that The Hobbit films suck because PJ got old and tired (which I don't entirely agree with), but I think it's indicative of the broader cultural shift surrounding the movies since the initial premiere.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am

I think its clear enough from the end product his heart has never been in these films, he is just offsetting his own disinterest by playing with his new toys. Probably the only thing about these films he is enjoying.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 am

That and his paycheck.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 am

Tolkien was only ever a talking point, at most, in my opinion. A fan of his work would not so heavily and so gleefully alter the story, themes, and characters.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 am

Or the language.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Tolkien was only ever a talking point, at most, in my opinion. A fan of his work would not so heavily and so gleefully alter the story, themes, and characters.

It's been pretty clear that PJ doesn't like the story of The Hobbit, mostly because of its "simplicity."

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next