Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by David H Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

bungobaggins wrote:"I think of this third movie as a psychological thriller with action scenes interspersed in the middle of it."

Okay, so now The Hobbit is a psychological thriller? He really is just pulling this shit out of his ass.

bungobaggins wrote:When I hear "psychological thriller" I immediately think Hitchcock.

Don't you see? It'll be just like Vertigo, only with giant battles, and dwarves on goats so you don't get bored!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm

David H wrote:

It'll be just like Vertigo[/quote]

So...I'll get confused, angry, tired and left with a big headache?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 pm

malickfan wrote:

So...I'll get confused, angry, tired and left with a big headache?

I'd call that getting off easy! Razz 

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:09 am

David H wrote:Don't you see? It'll be just like Vertigo, only with giant battles, and dwarves on goats so you don't get bored!

Oh, boy. I can't wait. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 am

bungobaggins wrote:"I think of this third movie as a psychological thriller with action scenes interspersed in the middle of it."

Okay, so now The Hobbit is a psychological thriller? He really is just pulling this shit out of his ass.

I assume he's referring to the decline of Thorin's state of mind, but really it just makes it seem as though PJ has no idea what a psychological thriller is.

And I assume the tightness relates to pacing and the narrative, though "tight" has to be a relative description at this point.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:09 am

Tinuviel wrote:Hopefully by "tight" he means no loose ends. My hope is everything gets tied up in the first fifteen minutes so we can just watch the storyline play out as it should. I have a feeling this one will be easier for him because all of the characters come together, so there can only really be one story line. No more subplots!

So Radagast, Tauriel, and Azog all come running around different corners, crash into each other and fall over flat on their backs with little chirping stars circling round their heads...and that's the last we hear of them.  Meanwhile, the story continues as it should have before being so rudely interrupted two films ago.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:00 am

Well yes, it is obviously a relative tongue-in-cheek "tight" that we are speaking of here. Comparing Battle of the Five Armies to Transformers 4 is beginning to look more and more appropriate... Kudos on that I guess, you whorish magazine.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Petty: get to work pronto!

http://www.thehobbitfancontest.com/us/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Can I go by boat?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 am

I have to assume it premieres in mid december, so you have 2.5 months to get to New Zealand. Maybe we can send Dave around to pick you up?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:30 am

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 ParallelNearCapybara

take the panama canal

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 am

Blimey Shocked

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Wishful thinking but in the new "teaser" they have Bilbo saying something about those who did not make it as soon as the scene with what looks like Tauriel comes on. I'm hoping this means the elf wench will die (hopefully a nasty painful death) in this last film call me cruel but I think she was the worst part of film two. Right behind the horrible script, terrible acting, and made up sub par fanfiction that graced the majority of the film.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Aaaagreed Sin ! Thumbs Up

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Not agreed!
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Goldblum1

The worst part was the sorrow-inducing malformations through which the Smaug and Bilbo scenes were subjected. They could have been as memorable as the Gollum bits form the first film, but instead they were awful.
That and every last thing that happened in Lake-town from beginning to end.

Edit: I only mention the Gollum bits from AUJ because it's so popular among fans of the movies. Personally, I didn't think that section of the film was all that amazing. Additions like "If Gollum wins, we eats it whole" were just not very good, at all. It just doesn't work in the wider context of Goblin-Town anyway.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Really, you think Tauriel was worse than the Smaug fight at the end, the marginalization of Bilbo, or, the bizarre transformation of Lake-town into the mini-USSR (and the main focus of at least a third of the film)?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Agreed, at least she's pretty. So, you know, you have something nice to look at it onscreen. Instead of just dwarves for miles interspersed here and there with comically-grubby Lake-towners.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:05 pm

The whole thing was terrible, but if I had to pick one thing above the rest it would be the Smaug fight/golden statue.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Well we did vote on the worst part of the film, and I'm pretty sure molten Smaug won. And Tauriel's character isn't so bad as the situationas she's put in by the script. I'm down for female action, so I'm kind of looking forward to Galadriel at Dol Guldur if not for a small little taste of something from Beren and Luthein. But they screwed up Tauriel by making her in a love triangle. Remove maybe one or two lines said by her regarding Kili and it would seem far more platonic that it was. Whatever. At this point, I hope she dies in a way that doesn't make her a martyr and doesn't make Thrandy send Legolas to the council in the next several decades.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 38 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a draw or something?

Anyway, perhaps it's easier to keep it at "These movies have had several weak moments." Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a draw or something?

Anyway, perhaps it's easier to keep it at "These movies have had several weak moments." Razz

Wouldn't 'these movies have had several not weak moments' be more accurate Cool

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 pm

Ah, you're saying the weakness permeates the movies in such a way the good parts are actually the exception.

Well... that's certainly one way to look at things. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 am

Or "These movies have managed to not give Purists heartburn for widely separated periods of about 5 seconds or so at a time."

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Alternatively.. "The logo at the beggining looked kind of alright."

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:50 am

"Now and then you catch yourself becoming slightly less bored. This is usually accompanied by another long chase sequence, but the brief moment is almost worth it!"

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next