Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:02 pm

bungobaggins wrote:It's been pretty clear that PJ doesn't like the story of The Hobbit, mostly because of its "simplicity."

There are plenty of people who like LOTR and not The Hobbit -- and vice versa -- which I can understand given how different the stories are, even though I personally love them both.  However, in the case of PJ, I think it's become clear that he only ever had a very surface-level appreciation of LOTR, and that's probably part of the reason why he was much less enthusiastic about The Hobbit the book.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 pm

A valiant attempt at improving a much-maligned action sequence from AUJ by removing everyone's least favorite character, but unfortunately there's too much shit in that scene for me to consider it salvaged.

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 pm

If you're going to take out Radagast, why not just take out the Wargs? I liked Petty's traveling sequence a lot better.

God, what a boring "action" sequence. It's funny how Howard Shore's music tries to over compensate. Laughing It's like "duh-duh-duh" this is really intense, you should be scared. And I'm like...

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 36G14Bk

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 pm

It sounds a lot like the Rohan theme from TTT to me, but my mind might be playing tricks one me given the landscape of Rohan and the similarity to the warg battle from the earlier trilogy.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm

It does all start to sound the same at some point. Laughing

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:00 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 pm

All I can say is, what a difference a (third) year makes... It must be bad if even the director/producer sounds like he doesn't give a shit !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:A valiant attempt at improving a much-maligned action sequence from AUJ by removing everyone's least favorite character, but unfortunately there's too much shit in that scene for me to consider it salvaged.

It's still so awful.
I mean, the distance inconsistency is still there between how far away the wargs and orcs are.

"Where's Gandalf!?" <-- panicking idiot
"He's abandoned us!" <-- Dickishly panicking idiot

Gandalf pops up, "This way you fools!" <-- Don't you mean, "Fly"? pfft.
 Rolling Eyes 

And of course Thorin gets a long pointless shot of his shining, and ringing, steel phallus.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Am I the only one who can't yet bring myself to re-watch the movies? Every time I go to pick up my copy of AUJ...I just can't...

Radghastly getting even more bewildered is one thing, but as Petty pointed out, how the hell did Gandalf get over the stone gaints tearing up the mountains , then precede in just the nick of time to exactly the right cave where and co were being 'entertained' by Dame Edna's Rock Solo?

Convenient...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm

The exterior of the mountain being damaged so badly was a pretty big plot-hole, but I think some mystery can be allowed Gandalf's sudden appearance. Book-wise I suppose he must have followed the goblins secretly, but he is a wizard and I never minded his sudden reappearances much.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I dont think there is an issue in the book- Gandalf is there when they are captured and sees where they are taken, it wouldn't take much to work out that they had been taken for interrogation.

But in the film he doesn't know where they have gone, and when he tries to follow he would find the path is gone and half the mountainside seemingly collapsed in an avalanche of some sort.

The last thing you would expect him to think is that they took shelter in a cave with a false floor and were taken captive.
Especially a cave Gandalf can no longer get to as the path to it no longer exists. Not like he can fly, wizard or no.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 pm

The logical outcome of Gandalf's reasonings probably would have been that the entire company was buried under rock on the valley's floor. Good point Petty.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Sadly there are a huge amount of these sort of illogical things in the film- like how Radagast crossed the mountains so fast from the edge of Mirkwood to Trollshaws (seemingly overnight) and how he did it on his ludicrous bunny sled when we are shown the only path over is single file in most places.

How did they outrun wargs when they left the Trollshaws?

Did they run all day to get to Beorns with Beorn and wargs chasing them- if so how did they outrun either of them? If not why when the chase starts is it dawn and why when they arrive does Gandalf tell them to get some sleep for the night when it probably shouldn't be more than an hour after dawn when they arrive?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 am

These movies are like a headache to sort out at this point honestly.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyd Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

The guardian of the galaxy was a way better movie then these two crappy hobbit movies.

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:40 pm

So I've heard!

By the by Petty, while you're on a roll... how about finishing DoS? Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:11 pm

ThorinOakenshield.net has scans of the most recent Empire feature up on their site.  It's interesting, if not exactly news to anyone who has watched the video diaries.  The information that jumped out at me were these tidbits about the running time (PJ is currently editing BOFA).

http://thorinoakenshield.net/2014/08/01/battle-of-five-armies-article-in-empire-magazine/

He already has a working cut of film three. Apart from the to-do of the forthcoming battle sequence (which we'll come to), he has only a few shots left to chisel into shape. Without credits, The Battle Of The Five Armies currently runs to a positively jaunty two-thirty -- an entire 15 minutes shorter than Transformers 4.

"This one has got more of a thriller feel to it," Jackson elaborates, perfectly happy to shorten a Hobbit. "I think of this third movie as a psychological thriller with action scenes interspersed in the middle of it. It has got a very tight narrative structure. Three-hour movies don't tend to be thrillers."

His actors may have long departed, but the director is still giving himself options. He will keep watching and cutting his film, determined to get it down to a "lean machine" of two-twenty ("but don't hold me to that!"), while simultaneously elaborating on sequences as he does. Only James Cameron can boast a comparable technical freedom. Jackson can literally fix things in post.

AUJ and DOS were 169 and 161 minutes long, respectively, according to Wikipedia and IMDb, but I don't know if this figure includes credits or not.  I certainly wouldn't complain about BOFA being shorter, but I am surprised that it's even a possibility that a Middle-earth movie will clock in at under two and a half hours.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:15 pm

The hardcore fanboys really turned the 3-hour-plus Middle-earth movie into some sort of strange fetish.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 pm

PJ wrote: It has got a very tight narrative structure.

I swear he's listening to us!   Shocked 

OK then, that'll  be the standard I'll hold him to when I watch BO5A: a tight narrative structure.  I hope he can  pull it off, but I have my doubts... Rolling Eyes

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Hopefully by "tight" he means no loose ends. My hope is everything gets tied up in the first fifteen minutes so we can just watch the storyline play out as it should. I have a feeling this one will be easier for him because all of the characters come together, so there can only really be one story line. No more subplots!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I think by tight he means...

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Tuco-Goes-Tight-Tight-Tight-On-Breaking-Bad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:38 pm

"I think of this third movie as a psychological thriller with action scenes interspersed in the middle of it."

Okay, so now The Hobbit is a psychological thriller? He really is just pulling this shit out of his ass.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I feel that all the BS Ive read so far just proves to me Peejers does not know what the flying fook hes doing. Hes SO lost the plot & grip on daily reality, & is covering up & papering over his wild fantasies by pretending to re invent The Hobbit under a different guise. A Psychological what ?? .........Valium time ! And not just for me  Rolling Eyes 

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 pm

When I hear "psychological thriller" I immediately think Hitchcock. Peter Jackson, you ain't no Hitchcock.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 pm

I dont rate Peejers highly at all. If I see a film advertised on TV & the director mentioned is Scorsese or Coppola then Il show keeness, but, not PJ. He just aint got it. LOTRs was 'it' for me where he's concerned. It was the golden key that fitted the lock & opened the door to my fantasy but, I wont be rushing to get my coat to see anymore of PJs films.My distaste for what he's done with The Hobbit has clouded my view where he's concerned. He may have got a bucket full of things altered with LOTRs but he's totally fooked up The Hobbit beyond repair.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next