CC12 35
Norc
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 Empty Re: Tales of Home [2]

Post by azriel Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 pm

I liked the reindeer racing, that looked fun but, the cruelty shown to the deer made me feel utterly SICK ! They are wild animals & probably doing that for a reason ? Humans are SUPPOSED to be able to think clearly & rationally ??!! There must have been a better way to disengage that deer without hitting it with a fucking spade ! my initial thought was "you fucking bastards!" did the deer feel threatened in some way ? it is a MALE deer no ? I would report that to the RSPCA if that was in my country. & even IF it was ME being gored, I still wouldnt half break its neck ! or hit it with a spade, Sack them ! sack them all ! Zoo's are meant to take care of animals ! Im not moaning at you Norc, just some people PISS ME OFF, as these zoo staff have !

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah.  Stupid.  If for no other reason than the shovel blows only make the reindeer feel more threatened and angry. You want to try to calm those situations down, not get into an arms race.That's how people and animals end up getting killed needlessly.Mad
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:34 pm

That wasnt very lady like language was it, but I get angry when people do stupid things to animals !
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 pm

yeah, i agree. it's a male reindeer and he's with females and calves, so ofcourse he feels threatened by humans, he tries to chase them off. and hitting it with a spade is just stupid, as David points out it just makes it more angry. no, what you should do is take the antlers and turn it as you at the same time "trip" it, then get on top of it. and reidneers should not be kept in zoos. where i live they don't even have males and females together, all males i believe, therefor they don't attack each other or humans, they have nothing to defend or fight for. 

reindeer racing looks superfun, i'de like to try it Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:15 am

Norc wrote:where i live they don't even have males and females together, all males i believe, therefor they don't attack each other or humans, they have nothing to defend or fight for. 
 Very Happy

So you're saying that the males aren't naturally violent, it's the females that put them up to it?  Hmmmm.....
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 am

As I mentioned yesterday I was on one of the islands today- Rothesay or the Isle of Bute, depending how offical you are being. Prince Charles is Duke of Rothesay.
Sadly this wasnt a day out and I had to grab photos as I could between grafting- the grafting however ionvolved making over 300 deliveries so I did get about a bit!

It started as a normal Scottish summer day- low thick cloud a strong wind and sudden temperature fluctutations.
The way there looked like this- I had to take these out the car window as we sped by!

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0014_zps4efa3cba

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0013_zpsf4e41397

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0017_zps445bb1ec

Due a weird quirk of geography and road planning Rothesay is very roughly south of where I live, so naturally to get there we went north!
Eventually we got to Colintraive, a small area of intensely farmed land that has rich soil.
This is the ferry from there to Rothesay, and yes that stretch of water is as short as it looks- doesnt stop the buggers charging you 21 quid to get across in a car though. Evil or Very Mad

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0024_zps157d064d

Rothesay marina- as seen from too far away!

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0030_zps2659f300

Looking back from the island to the mainland-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0028_zpsfcf774bd

This might help give you some bearings to previous stuff I have posted- if you look in the distance you will see the power station chimney I pointed out as a notable landmark when I posted the pictures of Highland Mary statue in Dunoon.

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0042_zps138471ab

More looking back- and a nice iron cast gate for Halfy -

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0053_zpsba544bc0

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0055_zps487d4d11

Something you get a lot of on Rothesay, thanks to the Gulf Stream (not that youd have noticed that today) are palm trees-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0049_zps1e6a44cb

Ok enough scenery for now- probably the most striking thing about Rothesay is how rich so much of it is- a surprising amount of people live in places like this-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0040_zps7e42ea7d

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0032_zps53ac034e

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0043_zps79a9e9ee

or this

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0045_zpsd546c287

or this

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0044_zps43afee8f

or this

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0083_zpsb666a813

or this

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0078_zpsac87d594

Fancy houses have fancy gardens too and greenhouses of weird stuff, like this-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0066_zps749b84e2

And freaky looking trees like this-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0034_zpsdeda4ac3

And you dont tend to get something as common as a doorbell either-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0048_zps9b7f3377

A tree I liked in a garden-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0038_zps4644b399

When you have spent all morning delivering stuff to doors that are the worng end of huge drives and gardens the last thing you want to see on your delivery list is this-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0061_zpsda032e95

And that was lunch time- rest of day to come! Including- cows, fields for David, a cute gull and a big bloody gull, oh and I get searched by police in the middle of Rothesay High Street. Evil or Very Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 am

I love the little insights into your world ! Ive got a friend who's family are Scottish, his father was high ranking in the army, anyway, Iain (my friend) speaks SO fondly of his younger life in Scotland, uni, countryside, his family home, etc. Il have to pick HIS brains one day...& as his like me, picking brains WONT take long ! I really enjoy looking at photo's of peoples home towns etc, its fascinating !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Azriel- glad you are enoying the pics- and my tale of an exictiting day out!

Now, where was I? Oh yes. Lunch and police!

We had lunch in a cafe- its was a lovely cafe where we met up with the ladies, got ourselves a seat and tried to order- only to discover they couldnt do bacon rolls, as they had run out of bacon, and they couldnt do sausage on a roll, as yup, they had run out of sausage- no square sausage, in a Scots cafe! Evil or Very Mad  So we had to get them to fry something else instead.

This is the main town from above, where we had lunch-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0086_zps6f0095e4

And from the waterfront-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0091_zpsbb1e2f47

Theres a ferry terminal there too, but not one that has boats sailing to Dunoon- we get the crappy expensive Cointraive one. Evil or Very Mad

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0059_zps51c2f4fc

So with lunch finished I discovered I had left my baccy in the car, and the person I was with, who I had only really just met that day properly, wanted to get some stuff from his car.
So we went back to where the car was parked in the main street whilst the women waited on our return.
When we got there it was too find a police car parked next to it and two young (they are getting younger cops arent they?) and very tall coppers unfolding themselves from within it.

You know how I menioned earlier it was a bit windy? Well what with making deliveries there was a lot of stopping and starting, lots of getting in and out of the car ect everywhere from the breezy shorefront to the wind swept farms on the hills.
Unfortuntely the tax disc was loose, and at some point, unnoticed by us, had been blown right out the car and was no longer there- and it was this had caught the polices eye.
So as the person I was with was the driver and I was a mere passenger I stood by whilst he gave his details, licence ect to the police, smug in the knowledge it was nothing to do with me.

The police were very nice, to start with, they told him to get a replacement, to notify our local police in Dunoon, and as we were only on the island for a day they would let him off with the ticket and we could be on our way, as soon as the checks came back giving him the all clear- then the radio crackled and they got his background check info- turned out my driver had previous for drug convictions. Nothing major, just silly stuff getting caught with bits of dope for personal use.
By the time the women came to find us we were standing in the High Street, emptying our pockets (I have pockets like Doctor Who too and warned the cop when he asked me to empty my pockts- 'that this might take a while') and then were physcally searched.
And of course, now they wanted my details too to run checks on, not helped by him pullling out a roll up from my pocket which was supsicoulsy fat (it was in my pocket as I had tried to roll in a strong wind and the result had not been good, so I had abondend smoking it and shovedin my pocket)- it did however look suspicously like a joint, even though it wsnt. Fortunetely I dont have a police record so that came back clear. And closer inspection of the rol up seemed to convince the cop it was just baccy in there.
Eventually they let us go with a lot of warnings and caveats, actually it was mainly I think because the women were staring at them in a disconcerting manner (they are good at that Scots women) and we got back to doing our job.
And that was lunch in Rothesay.

Afternoon saw us heading upwards mainly- to the houses and farms on the hills around the town-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0077_zpsbd73a3c6

A field! For hay I think? :scratch:Farmer Dave- any idea?

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0072_zpsab75b501

Cows- the big one was a great starer- cows are great at staring-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0071_zpsefcd9273

Also lots of little wods and copses doted about-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0063_zpsd457bb15

Sadly I always found this- a baby gull-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0087_zps25f99b8e

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0088_zps993974e8

It was in a garden, and I have no idea where it could have come for, there was no one home to ask them to hep, and I didnt have tme to do anything for it, that and its parents were dive bombing me continually- and gulls are quite intimidating when they divebomb to protect their young! So I had to leave it to nature and fate I am afraid.

Sadly (or luckily you might be thinking) my camera was running out of batteries and I only got a few more pics- this is the main church as we made our way back towards town from behind it-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0089_zpsead5ef01

Looked like God was home (well it was a Sunday)

A piece of advice if you ever holiday in Scotland- dont eat chips on the shore front, unless you really like seagulls!

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0096_zps0c5af0d6

Lastly- and just for Mrs Figg- something from her youth (or is that her middle years?) - Victorian lavs! No really, I was so impressed I did something I have never een considered doing in my life- I took photos of the inside of a Gents!

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0092_zps250a1707

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0093_zpsc2f4c145

And yes those are solid marble urinals- the wealth of Empire when a public bogs looked like this! If I hadnt been so bursting for a pee Id have gone elsewhere- it felt like pissing on art.

So there you go, a day that started with an expensive ferry, was punctuated by a lackof fried food and a police search, and ended in a lovely place for a pee- typical sort of day out in Scotland really all in.

ps out of all the doors I delivered to yesterday- that was the weirdest-

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 PICT0057_zpsb2eb325c

It was covered in quotations- all sorts- philosophers, writers, everything really from Blake and Shakespeare to Churchill.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 pm

''Lastly- and just for Mrs Figg- something from her youth (or is that her middle years?) - Victorian lavs! No really, I was so impressed I did something I have never een considered doing in my life- I took photos of the inside of a Gents!'' Petty

OI!! watch it Sunshine! Mad

those were fascinating Petty, I really enjoyed your photos. Razz but who are these 'ladies'?? Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks Mrs Figg- I knew youd appreiate the Victoriana! Very Happy
As to the ladies, well, um, I'll get back to you on that!

{{{{Sofa }}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Suspect hmpfff!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:51 pm

what on earth is a baccy? also, i like how you must seem like a tourist Very Happy taking photos of everything. and what deliveries did you do? and what's a tax disc? wait... i think  i know. it's the thing you have to carry around at all times in your car?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:16 pm

baccy is tobacco, and the tax disc is the bit of paper stuck on your windscreen with your car insurance on it.

I hestitate to think what Petty is delivering. maybe its genetically modified haggis, or deep fried plums. Shrugging

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm

oh..ok. i think i understand Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 pm

tax disc Norc

Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 Imagesvvvn_zps30008e65
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm

oh.. we don't have those, well we do, but not there, we have em on the plate.
Tales of Home [2] - Page 26 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFqbjhgRC5JbWT5T5yLQEzgdGJ6_cGUa7whT1ytUCFdrqH_mXWWw
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm

You vikings and your funny ways.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

We've got things both on our plates and on our windshields.  Can't be too thorough about these things.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Rothesay police certainly cant be! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm

I love the farms! And the plumbing!Thumbs Up
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Im back there tomorrow and will be covering more of the island, away from the main town and out into the wilds- I will try to get some good farm pics for you.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

That was a fun story ! liked the photo's also. I miss the old "pull chain" loo's, Real old wooden seats, smooth as a babies bum ! That clanking sound as you pulled on the handle, Ah, the good old days Nod

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Im hoping torrow's tales will have less police in them! Evil or Very Mad
This is why i dont go to the islands- if Im not back here in my barrel tomorrow night Im probably in a burning wicker effigy. Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm

you can put one of your 'ladies' in it. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Um, actually, em, tomorrow there will be just me, and, the, um, two ladies.....

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next