Ian Mckellen

http://www.2kiwis.com/2012/06/25/ian-mckellen-at-the-opera-house/
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

News from the set [2] - Page 27 Empty Re: News from the set [2]

Post by Tinuviel Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm

I saw the new trailer in front of Brave, and I was confused as to why they were playing it in front of a Pixar movie. The parts taken out are when Gandalf is fighting Thror and the troll scene, and is replaced with more shots of Bilbo hiding and poking his head up. I was confused as to why those parts were removed, but now it makes sense (after reading the previous posts)

News from the set [2] - Page 27 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 am

Off-topic (naturally, it's Forumshire Laughing), but what did you think of Brave, Your Maj? I had thought about going to see it since it's from Pixar but I've heard almost nothing but mixed and negative reviews since it opened. Question
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 am

It's not very good for Pixar. The story isn't very unique and the characters are pretty flat. If I ever hear the word "fate" again, I'll probably smack someone! Although I was thinking of Petty quite a bit, since there were so many men in kilts... Moon The bests parts for me were her hair and the music.

News from the set [2] - Page 27 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:13 am

Mock Hobbit movie to start filming next month

http://www.examiner.com/article/mock-hobbit-movie-to-start-filming-next-month
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 am

wouldnt it be funny if it was better than the PJ version?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 pm

When Pj's comes out how are we supposed to know which version is meant to be the joke one? scratch

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:10 pm

:facepalm:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Slight update about Comic-Con. The official schedule was released and The Hobbit is confirmed to be discussed at Warner Bros.' preview from 2:30-5:00 on 7/14 along with Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim and Zack Snyder's Man of Steel.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks. It's on my calendar and I'll be checking the online gossip that evening. I wonder if they'll be showing a more polished bit of the HD 3D. If they can't sell the Comic Con fans on the new format, they might want to reconsider how they release it.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

News from the set [2] - Page 27 Empty Re: News from the set

Post by RA Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm going to be at Comic Con. Do any of you think there's a chance that they will show the ten minute preview that was previously screened? I want to see for myself if the business with Radagast is as it was described.
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Wish I was! Have fun RA- their website doesn't give away any details so I can't help you- Eldo seems quite clued into the comic-con thing so he may he know more.
Are you going to the whole thing? There's some sort of Doctor Who screening on the last day.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm

ooooh I bet they do R.A, as they have all the TORNers to please. maybe they will show it but a finished version, it would certainly start a positive buzz to counteract the negative one recently.
I hope you have a great time there it sounds amazing. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks guys, it looks like it's going to be fun. Not sure yet how long I'm going to stay because my cousin got me the tickets. He's really into comics and Stan Lee or someone is supposed to be there. Should be fun!

Hopefully it's the finished material. I don't know how the PR staff would explain a second negative reaction. I think it's going to look nicer than before. Or at least I hope so.
RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 pm

David H wrote:Thanks. It's on my calendar and I'll be checking the online gossip that evening. I wonder if they'll be showing a more polished bit of the HD 3D. If they can't sell the Comic Con fans on the new format, they might want to reconsider how they release it.

If they're showing footage then I hope they've cleaned up the effects/color grading since the footage they showed at CinemaCon. I don't know if the PJ fans on this forum can take another case of hype whiplash like that. Razz

Edit: beaten to the punch by RA. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:I'm going to be at Comic Con. Do any of you think there's a chance that they will show the ten minute preview that was previously screened? I want to see for myself if the business with Radagast is as it was described.

I haven't heard any specific word on what will be shown, so we're counting on you to report back. Very Happy I wish I could go but it's just too far to fly for me. I'll have to get my annual dose of geek culture from Otakon in Baltimore at the end of the month. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:15 am

Will do Smile
RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 am

Entertainment weekly is running a Hobbit edition, heres an extract-

'To expand the classic J.R.R. Tolkien book so that it could support two feature films, Jackson drew from a range of Tolkien’s writings, adding characters not present in the Hobbit book, including Orlando Bloom’s elf Legolas and Cate Blachett’s elven ruler Galadriel. “In the movie we want these characters to have story lines and a little more substance than they do in the book,” Jackson explains. “Almost everything we’re doing is from Tolkien somewhere, whether it’s in the book or the subsequent development that wasn’t published in The Hobbit itself.”
Adds McKellen: “A lot of people weren’t even born when we were filming Lord of the Rings and only know the movies from watching them on DVD…. They’ll see Middle-earth on the big screen in The Hobbit, and I guarantee there will be a lot of minds blown wide apart.”

Bold added by me- someone want to tell me where I can find the bits where Tolkien wrote about bunny sleds, birds in Radagasts hat, Dwarves riding pigs, and Nazgul tombs? I think those bits must have fallen out my books somewhere. scratch
If you are goinig to just make stuff up PJ at least have the f***ing balls to say so and don't insult us by telling us its all Tolkien. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 am; edited 3 times in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am

Hugo Weaving talks Hobbit (is it just me or does the word 'diplomatic' spring to mind)

'Yeah! In some ways, it was a lot of fun to go back and be on a Rivendell set again with Ian McKellan. It was really lovely to see some old friends and old faces again, and to go back into a similar world, which is tonally a little bit different. You’re in the same world, but the story has a different tone. Peter [Jackson] and Fran [Walsh] are just lovely people, and there’s a particular frustratingly wonderful energy about working on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The project is so massive and there are so many people. It makes it frustrating for everyone because things just take time and you don’t know what’s happening. You don’t know what’s going on, despite all the best intentions, but the people are so lovely that you just accept, “Well, this is the way this particular world is.” You live from day to day and from moment to moment, doing the best you can. There’s a delightful atmosphere there, so it was lovely. I’ve literally just come back from there a couple days ago, having done post-production on that, so it was really nice to see everyone again.'

Presuambly from that opening line in other ways it was not fun at all?
And on 3D

Yeah, absolutely. I think the 3D will work incredibly well for The Hobbit. I don’t think it does for everything, and I don’t think it should for everything. To some extent, 3D is just a gimmick, but sometimes it works wonderfully well. With something like Cave of Forgotten Dreams, the Werner Herzog film, you think, “Why is this in 3D?,” but it’s actually wonderful in 3D. It’s a documentary, but it works incredibly well. And then, there are some other films where you think, “This might be in 3D, but the way in which it’s been put into 3D or the way in which it’s being used is too obvious or it seems gimmicky.” I don’t get a lot from the 3D experience, generally, but for certain films, I think it works really wonderfully well, and I suspect The Hobbit will be one of them. For that particular world, I think it’s probably a really fabulous natural exploration of it. With some other things, the 3D doesn’t work so well. I’d rather see something like Last Ride or a small film on a flat screen, rather than with black glasses. That’s impressive enough, as it is.

Doesn't sound like he has seen TH in 3D to compare it directly or that he is huge fan of it in general.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 am

That business about everything being from Tolkien somewhere is a brilliant tactic on Jackson's part.

Think about it, It's just vague enough for the average Joe to believe. Those who know it's not true will have their work cut out for them trying to convince others. An example, when the Two Towers came out on DvD, I saw the excuse that the Faramir scenes didn't have enough tension mysteriously used by everyone. Even people who professed to have not liked the books or only," read them once a long time ago." That's funny, you only read the books once a long time ago, yet you're offering analysis and criticism on something you vaguely remember.
Now people are likely going to just say," Oh well it's still Tolkien." Still... it's expected Jackson would use some sort of excuse.
Now, to prepare a list of counter-arguments to systematically debunk Jackson's excuse.
RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:22 am

That business about everything being from Tolkien somewhere is a brilliant tactic on Jackson's part.

All they have to do is repeat the mantra "we tried to preserve the spirit of Professor Tolkien's book" and people will believe it. It worked for LOTR and I'm sure it will work again. The filmmakers actually convinced a large portion of the fandom that their film was as faithful an adaptation as could ever be made.

Now, to prepare a list of counter-arguments to systematically debunk Jackson's excuse.

http://eldorion.com/tolkienpurism/ Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:51 am

Sterling work young Eldo. I salute you with the Tyrant salute (a raising of the hand as if to drink buckie- best perfomred whilst holding actual buckie drunken ). Although I could add more on the purist side, nevertheless, well thought out and presented essays I heartily recomend to all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks Petty. Very Happy I know they're not quite as pure as you are. Wink Actually, I wrote them a while ago (I think I was 15 for most of that time) when I was more argumentative and they're not completely reflective of my opinions anymore. I think I've loosened up a bit. Still, I spent a lot of time on it and I'm pretty proud of the end result, so I've left it up. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 am

Wow. I guess I don't have to get started compiling counter-arguments. You've already done it Smile

Great job Eldorion! Really well put together and informative.
RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:39 am

wow, I'm impressed Eldo!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down