halfwise
Forest Shepherd
18 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Empty Re: Tales of Home [9]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
I have had experiences of other major cities that interested me far more. An interesting city in my mind is Barcelona, which is so many things at the same time. Gorgeously situated yet polluted, cosmopolitan yet surounded by small neighborhoods that function like their own microcosmos, historic yet in part touristic to rival Venice.

If you know where to go off the tourist trail, Barcelona is probably one of the most vibrant and interesting cities in the world. If you follow the tourist trail, you'll see gorgeous architectoral areas, but not a real city, and probably as many germans as catalans.

have you got any hotel recommendations for Barcelona, I am thinking of going for a weekend as its not that far.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I only visited once, and it didn't sit that well with me. I assume certain aspects of New York are different by the way you experience it, but I found it somewhat cold, (admittedly it was February) standoffish, offputting, and alienating. I admit that you might have a different experience if you have a sense comfort both with where you are and what to do there that I perhaps lacked at the time. Perhaps there is something under the surface I didn't get too.

Everybody makes the same mistake of visiting New York in the winter.  It's bleak and ugly in the winter.  And you need to stay off the tourist route.  New York's energy is about the bustling streets; all you get in the winter are a bunch of pissed off tourists.  

Come in late spring or fall (not high summer, another mistake.  Europeans tend to come in August just because that's when they are on vacation, the sweltering dumbasses) and plan your time around the parks.  Battery Park, City Hall Park, Highline Park, Madison Square park,  Central Park, Fort Tryon Park, Teardrop Park (try finding those last two in any tourist guide).  Use the bike share program to get around, and subway.  If you take a cab even once in New York, you are doing it ALL wrong (again, this is the biggest mistake people make).  Take pictures in the parks until you want a bite to eat or drink, then explore nearby. (harder to do with Central Park)

I'll allow you to do one Broadway show, but you really want to do the Jazz clubs instead (which are alas a dying breed).  Not the one's you've heard of.  Go uptown, where people will talk to you.  Or look for more offbeat stuff, like Blue Man Group.

For the most part it's not a beautiful city - that's why you stick to the parks.  And you'll find people quite voluable but only if you are in neighborhood bars.  Otherwise they're all trying to get somewhere because something is always happening.  You have to dig around and find what's happening.  I seem to do a better job than most at keeping my eyes open.

With all that being said, I totally understand where you are coming from.  It's not like the cities of Spain where nearly ever corner is a new vista, and where you just happen upon great things like flamenco dancing happening.  You need to bring a laptop and put in some effort each day searching out what you are interested in.  The good things is you'll nearly always find what you are looking for; the bad thing is you have to work at it a bit.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:00 pm

{{ Well that's probably summer over! Back to normal Mad }}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0051

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ Well that's probably summer over! Back to normal Mad  }}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0051

I assume you were crabbit about summer being there too?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm

halfwise wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:I only visited once, and it didn't sit that well with me. I assume certain aspects of New York are different by the way you experience it, but I found it somewhat cold, (admittedly it was February) standoffish, offputting, and alienating. I admit that you might have a different experience if you have a sense comfort both with where you are and what to do there that I perhaps lacked at the time. Perhaps there is something under the surface I didn't get too.

Everybody makes the same mistake of visiting New York in the winter.  It's bleak and ugly in the winter.  And you need to stay off the tourist route.  New York's energy is about the bustling streets; all you get in the winter are a bunch of pissed off tourists.  

Come in late spring or fall (not high summer, another mistake.  Europeans tend to come in August just because that's when they are on vacation, the sweltering dumbasses) and plan your time around the parks.  Battery Park, City Hall Park, Highline Park, Madison Square park,  Central Park, Fort Tryon Park, Teardrop Park (try finding those last two in any tourist guide).  Use the bike share program to get around, and subway.  If you take a cab even once in New York, you are doing it ALL wrong (again, this is the biggest mistake people make).  Take pictures in the parks until you want a bite to eat or drink, then explore nearby. (harder to do with Central Park)

I'll allow you to do one Broadway show, but you really want to do the Jazz clubs instead (which are alas a dying breed).  Not the one's you've heard of.  Go uptown, where people will talk to you.  Or look for more offbeat stuff, like Blue Man Group.

For the most part it's not a beautiful city - that's why you stick to the parks.  And you'll find people quite voluable but only if you are in neighborhood bars.  Otherwise they're all trying to get somewhere because something is always happening.  You have to dig around and find what's happening.  I seem to do a better job than most at keeping my eyes open.

With all that being said, I totally understand where you are coming from.  It's not like the cities of Spain where nearly ever corner is a new vista, and where you just happen upon great things like flamenco dancing happening.  You need to bring a laptop and put in some effort each day searching out what you are interested in.  The good things is you'll nearly always find what you are looking for; the bad thing is you have to work at it a bit.

To me, NYC has always come across like a less appealing version of London, which I also dont like a huge amount. The only thing it seems (to me and in my limited experience) to have extra is the skyline.

I am not sure if I will visit again for personal travel as there are so many other places to visit, but I may do for work so might be asking for a tour!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm happy to serve as tour guide for any forumshirelings!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I assume you were crabbit about summer being there too?- Lance

{{ Suns too bright Mad all the marks and suspicious moulds show up on my kilt Mad the Thing in my fridge gets agitated, and if you pass out mid-buckie it evaporates or bloody wasps drink it!! Mad Mad Mad }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 am

{{Weather might have got crapper again but the sunrises are still good. What amazes me is the variety you get in the lighting within the space of an hour or so.

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0052

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0054

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0061

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0063

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0068

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0069

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0072

Cruise ship heading up the Clyde, get a nice sense of the size of the buggers when you see it beside the buildings

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0076

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0095

and because it's spring. }}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0111

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0112

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0116

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0120

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0130

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

Ooooh ! I so love Bluebells ! cracking pictures Gromit Smile

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Those are the Texas state flower. Not supposed to be running rampant over distant shores!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 am

Typical...

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Img_2013

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Img-c210

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 2016-010

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm

I tried my own translation, but failed. Not enough data.

So I did google: "[What] it was. What the hell."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Not bad. Gotta use the å. Vår = spring. Var=was

(I like the Swedish version of this meme best. Not sure why.)

... And now we're thawing again.
Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 Img_2014

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 04, 2019 12:02 am

{{ Well as if my life didn't seem surreal enough as is, I am currently at work in a hotel crammed to the rafters with Christian nudists! Shocked I kid you not. Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 04, 2019 12:43 am

Well, I suppose they are more spiritual than your normal run of Christians.  

From what I've seen nudists don't seem too focussed on the concept of beautiful bodies.  Overweight and undergroomed as a rule.  More about freedom than the slavery of workouts and the razor.   For your sake I'm hoping Christian nudists are more in the line of viewing the body as a temple?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 04, 2019 12:54 am

For your sake I'm hoping Christian nudists are more in the line of viewing the body as a temple?- Halfy

{{No No More an open display of saggy flesh, droopy boobs, hanging bottoms, flabby stomachs, waggling willies and an unpleasant all permeating body odour undercurrent No Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 am

Ah. Still nudists then. My sympathies.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 04, 2019 10:11 am

{{At least the weather has taken a turn for the better again, so they wont be cold! And midgies arent out in force yet so they should be spared that- midgies and nudity do not match!

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0149

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0154

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0166

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0173

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0174

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0177

and more Brexit distractions!! pale

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0207

plus the lighting produced a really cool lilac flecked sea, which you don't get very often.}}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0215

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:For your sake I'm hoping Christian nudists are more in the line of viewing the body as a temple?- Halfy

{{No No  More an open display of saggy flesh, droopy boobs, hanging bottoms, flabby stomachs, waggling willies and an unpleasant all permeating body odour undercurrent No Mad  }}

But all that winking silent and I don't mean Wink that kind of winking.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 am

{{{ Winking is what I try, with both eyes at same time and then not opening them again till they go away Mad

Trip across the Clyde yesterday, not much time for taking pictures but got some of a nice building-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0130

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0132

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0133

Its got a lot of statues...

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0135

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0136

..including what I suspect are some rather, um racially stereotypical ones Suspect and a horny guy! Suspect Suspect

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0148

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0150

Nabbed a few pictures on the way back too. }}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0157

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0159

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0170

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0183

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0192

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0204

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed May 08, 2019 3:11 am

Bloody heck, is that a rather large erection on the African-looking fellow, or are my eyes being slutty and deceitful?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am

{{ Um, maybe it counts as a positive racial stereotype! Smile Or he's the star of the 1800's version of Blacked! Shocked

But yeah theres more than one morally dubious old statue carved into that building. Though in fairness to the architect and artists I am not sure there is not meant to be a knowing irony in these figures seeming to have to literally bear the building up on their shoulders, given it was built off their backs and labour. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 08, 2019 1:40 pm

{{ Seems anytime I happen to be passing along the sea front there is something on the move, been that way for about a month now Suspect }}

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0265

Tales of Home [9] - Page 21 DSC-0268

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 08, 2019 2:02 pm

The warships are out taking pictures too, I see.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Dat building is one giant willy. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next