UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

+12
odo banks
chris63
RA
Ringdrotten
Orwell
halfwise
Bluebottle
Lancebloke
Nagual
malickfan
azriel
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by halfwise Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Very Happy The Ministry of Silly Walks going off a cliff really does put the brexiters in their place. It's an impressive statement that the New Yorker would make that their cover page.

(It's also comforting that the venerable New Yorker has so far survived the collapse of print media.)

Bluebottle wrote:UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 ClvnULTWkAACHXT

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Empty Re: UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain)

Post by halfwise Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Also from the New Yorker:

BRITISH LOSE RIGHT TO CLAIM THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMBER
By Andy Borowitz , JUNE 24, 2016

LONDON (The Borowitz Report)—Across the United Kingdom on Friday, Britons mourned their long-cherished right to claim that Americans were significantly dumber than they are.

Luxuriating in the superiority of their intellect over Americans’ has long been a favorite pastime in Britain, surpassing in popularity such games as cricket, darts, and snooker.

But, according to Alistair Dorrinson, a pub owner in North London, British voters have done irreparable damage to the “most enjoyable sport this nation has ever known: namely, treating Americans like idiots.”

“When our countrymen cast their votes yesterday, they didn’t realize they were destroying the most precious leisure activity this nation has ever known,” he said. “Wankers.”

In the face of this startling display of national idiocy, Dorrinson still mustered some of the resilience for which the British people are known. “This is a dark day,” he said. “But I hold out hope that, come November, Americans could become dumber than us once more.”

Andy Borowitz is a New York Times best-selling author and a comedian who has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He writes the Borowitz Report for newyorker.com.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Suspect bloody hell it just gets worse.

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:34 pm

3,273,000 and counting! Razz

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

three million really pissed off people. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Luckily, the European Court of Human Rights has its basis in the European Convention of Human Rights which is a Council of Europe effort. So, it should, in theory, not be effected or affected by this vote. (I wonder if those leave generals remembered to communicate that.. Rolling Eyes)

True, but the Tories want to withdraw from the ECHR and replace it with a British Bill of Rights. It was in their manifesto last year alongside the Brexit referendum promise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_British_Bill_of_Rights
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Labour's deputy leader seems to be taking a neutral position on the Corbyn coup so far (The Guardian)

And this is what a lot of people were saying when Corbyn was elected, but I guess the referendum has driven it home even further:

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 4KUXWhgl

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/747079358129541121
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:04 pm

So about those 3.4 million signatures on the petition

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

Links and screenshots (and a lot of whining about the BBC) >here<
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:40 pm

3,480,000 Razz  that's what I call a protest vote. it was only supposed to hit 100,000.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:11 pm

halfwise wrote: Very Happy  The Ministry of Silly Walks going off a cliff really does put the brexiters in their place.  It's an impressive statement that the New Yorker would make that their cover page.

(It's also comforting that the venerable New Yorker has so far survived the collapse of print media.)

Bluebottle wrote:UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 ClvnULTWkAACHXT

Reminds me how much the Pythons poked fun at  the Right Wing Establishment... Like that Yes, Miinister scene playing all over the net, this is Brittain showing it's sense of humour. Brexit is not at all funny. The more I think about it, the more I shake my head.

Something at a tangent, there was some violence that occurred in Melbourne between Nationalists and what I assume are far Lefties, not related to Brexit (at least directly), but it threw up for me the underlying danger Brexit underwrites. The Nationalist (read Nazi or quasi-Nazi) momentum gathers pace in Western societies, and so that of their enemies, the staunch Communists. Fascists and Communsts like nothing better than ideological wars worth fighting and dying for. History tells us that. So Trump's loving this, as is Putin, as is that other player, the extreme Religiionist like ISIL (and don't imagine that extreme Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism won't join in at some stage). Religion is full of intolerance and haters too. Let's not be fooled here, Brexit is all about instability. No, the sky hasn't fallen... Not yet...

The Centre Right-Centre Left Moderate (me, that is), needs to stand up to these fools, and not delude ourselves saying, "Oh it'll sort itself out," (broadly speaking, "Democracy will win out"), like the Germans did when the Brownshirts were activating, and do it while we can do it peacefully. Moderates tend to be live and let live, but sometimes even Moderates need to stand up and be heard. The only good thing to come out of this is the young people of Brittain who voted with their heads and hearts and with wisdom. Hope burns eternal.

Last edited by Orwell on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 am

And now even Boris is going back on what he said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/i-cannot-stress-too-much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/

:facepalm:

At this rate I might be better off moving to Nepal for real.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:05 am

Boris is a moron. Sounded very persuasive when it was all care and no responsibility.

How do I go about signing that petition, Mrs Figg? I am a member of the Commowealth. Why didn't I get a vote!!!!! Mad

(I would have voted twice if I needed to. Very Happy )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:09 am

I leave for a bit and it seems like the world is falling apart now  lol!

Eldorion wrote:So about those 3.4 million signatures on the petition

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

Links and screenshots (and a lot of whining about the BBC) >here<

I've been looking at that petition and it doesn't seem to be legitimate if the source code is to be believed.

Spoiler:

Most of those signatures don't appear to be from the UK.

Only about 350,000 are from the UK

Spoiler:

Some 13,000 are from France.

Spoiler:

Overall I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the referendum, but I think it's wrong for there to be a re-vote. If the vote was to stay in the EU, I'm sure those who voted to stay would be upset if the leave group wanted a re-vote until they got the vote they wanted.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:30 am

I guess it's one of those of democracy things. If surveys show that 70% of eligible voters would have voted to remain, but 30% were too lazy or complacent or too trusting that enough 'others' would have voted sensibly to get out of bed, then democracy would demand a re-vote. Maybe a Party seeking election could run on having a referendum like Cameron did. That's how democracy works. But would the EU want a pack of xenophobic backward-lookers back?

Btw, though I'm loathe to give advice, being of the older demographic who has betrayed them, I suggest all young English folk emigrate to France and seek citizenship down the track. Why waste young people's energy and creativeness and willingness to progress on a pack of xenophobic backwards-lookers?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 am

This whole Brexit thing makes me think of this

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:21 am

Orwell wrote:

Reminds me how much the Pythons poked fun at  the Right Wing Establishment... Like that Yes, Miinister scene playing all over the net, this is Brittain showing it's sense of humour...

Just so, Ra. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am

Hello RA Very Happy Oh how I love "Yes Minister" Very Happy And that clip was spot on. Oh what a mess this all is. A big fat storm in a teacup. This has to be the wildest "I cant make my mind up, can we do it again" period in the history of British Parliament. I feel the vibes of panic more now than before the vote. Has everyone had the chance to have their say ? what about Ex Pats living in the Costa Del hotashell ? Prisoners? the homeless ? Any other of Britains so called Empire ? Could they not afford a stamp to Queensland to ask Brits over there what they think ? I heard on the radio that people who have worked & lived in foreign climes are now asking for Nationalization to these country's. How ironic that A Brit wants to be a legal based German after 2 world wars to keep Britain British Smile

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:29 am

Has the world gone nuts, Azriel?

Britain out without any of the outs having a plan?

Trump on the way in, or at least worrying the shit out of people like me that he is on the way in?

ISIL still not finished?

Is it about time for another world war? Certainly, it's time for the reactionary amongst us to plough forth and go to war on behalf of God, Fascism and Communism!!! You know, while democratic countries have thrown away their rudders and left themselves to the whim of whatever personal political fashion is 'in' for you at the mo!

Maybe even Moderate live-and-let-lives like me should get a gun!  Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:00 pm

{{{{{RA!!! cheers It's great to hear from you again Nod at this time of national meltdown and disaster! Mad

Lost count of the Labour resignations now- think its over 30. Don't see how Crobyn can survive this now- got to admit didn't expect Labour to implode this way at this time. But at this rate his cabinet is going to consist of him, Diane Abbot and 20 boiled eggs with smiley faces painted on them}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Dear Olly, the world was always nuts Smile we just werent fully paid up members Smile

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:58 pm

the fascists are now attacking Polish people on the streets, you know the Polish people who fought by us side by side in the 2WW. Churchill would be ashamed of Britain today.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

I have written to David Lammy MP telling him he has my 100% support. the only voice of sanity I have heard in this madness.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I have written to David Lammy MP telling him he has my 100% support. the only voice of sanity I have heard in this madness.

Thanks Mrs Figg. It's good to hear that there are some voices of sanity. The shouters and wailers tend to monopolize the press (the Donald Trump effect). I'd appreciate the names of other people who seem to have a clear vision of a way forward even if they don't agree. I'm getting tired of quotes from Boris dominating the headlines. Suspect

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 UJpDi UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:51 pm

{{{With all the Labour resignations here are the vacant jobs Corbyn has to fill now-

Shadow cabinet:

Shadow first minister of state
Shadow business secretary
Shadow justice secretary
Shadow housing secretary
Shadow energy and climate change secretary
Shadow work and pensions secretary
Shadow Scotland secretary
Shadow attorney general
Shadow leader in the House of Commons
Shadow minister for women and equalities
Shadow Wales secretary
Shadow cabinet minister for mental health
Shadow culture, media and sport secretary

Labour front bench

Shadow business minister
Shadow Home Office minister
Shadow foreign minister
Shadow housing minister
Shadow defence minister
Shadow education minister
Shadow minister for civil society
Shadow minister for local government
Shadow DEFRA minister
Shadow Scotland minister
Shadow Wales minister - source BBC

Sturgeon is in talks with the leaders of Gibraltar over a deal, which could also include NI, to stay in the EU by dint of just taking over the UK membership when England and Wales leave.
This would mean having a border with England- but hey Leave have screwed that one already as there will have to be a border in NI anyway, so what the hell, if we need a border to stay in we will have to have a border. }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 pm

What's the meaning of all this "shadow" this and that?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm

{{{The Party that wins the election creates a government- which consists of the backbenchers, and the front benches- on the front benches you get the PM and the Cabinet and other important ministers.
The party that lose the election get to sit on the opposite benches, they too have backbenchers and a 'Shadow' Cabinet, and 'shadow' ministers for each of the roles of government. They speak for the opposition on those department matters, and in theory when the Opposition becomes the government they have people already briefed in those positions ready to take them over.
Its just called shadow because the roles shadow the government ones, but dont have any actual duties or power or substance.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm

Sturgeon has impressed me through both referendums as a clear voice and a problem solver. It's a shame she's not in charge further south. The folks in Westminster seem a bit too quick to resign when the job gets difficult. Rolling Eyes

UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 UJpDi UK in/out referendum on the EU (Brexit vs Bremain) - Page 14 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next