Elthir
RA
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
25 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 26 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by parzival Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Eldorion wrote:His videos are great too.  I'm in tears here. lol!

"Words that flow from a whip's crack"? That's some quality copy.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 26 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:49 pm

I have a friend who is a member of BAFTA, he asked me if I wanted a free ticket to the London premier of BO5A next tuesday. Shocked
It was very kind of him to ask me.
I would have loved to have had the chance to tell PJ to watch this space come 17 December. Twisted Evil
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I have a friend who is a member of BAFTA, he asked me if I wanted a free ticket to the London premier of BO5A next tuesday. Shocked
It was very kind of him to ask me.
I would have loved to have had the chance to tell PJ to watch this space come 17 December. Twisted Evil

Two people I know have tickets to to the pre-film meet and greet on the red carpet at the premiere in London, it's the third year in a row one of them has gone to London after signatures, he owns a copy of the book but wants to read it after the films 'I don't want the films to ruin the book for me, as they'll probably be better anyway.' This guy read The Children of Hurin and complained 'There wasn't enough action, Turin was a A-hole the dialogue was really old fashioned, it would have been more interesting with hobbits' needless to say he 1) doesn't understand my issues with the way Jackson has adapted the books, 2) he's totally fine with Jackson doing whatever he wants with the books 'Tolkien's been dead for ages, why should we care about what his family thinks, New Zealand is culturally middle earth in many peoples eyes anyway' (paraphrased), 3) He was also under the impression the Tolkien Estate were arseholes for suing New Line for the money they were legally owed and delaying an adaptation of The Hobbit after expressing concerns about how it would be adapted. Apparently doing their job of protecting Tolkien's literary legacy is a bad thing if it reflects negatively on the films Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

*He has a point about Turin...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Turin's supposed to be an asshole, though. The whole point of the book is that Turin's own actions bring grief upon him as much if not more than the machinations of Morgoth. He gets called out for being a self-centered douche by several characters, too.

No argument about it being written in an archaic style, though. LOTR is to some extent as well, but it's far more contemporary.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Eldorion wrote:Turin's supposed to be an asshole, though. The whole point of the book is that Turin's own actions bring grief upon him as much if not more than the machinations of Morgoth. He gets called out for being a self-centered douche by several characters, too.

No argument about it being written in an archaic style, though. LOTR is to some extent as well, but it's far more contemporary.

Yeah exactly, I think he assumed it would be a rollicking action adventure like the films (admittedly the Alan Lee illustrations and timing of the novel didn't help) with larger than life heroes, personally I like that Turin is a asshole, much the same way I prefer Thorin in the book, the grumpiness and 'tragic flaws' make them easier for me to picture as real people, Aragorn etc may be cool, but he's a bit...boring. I understand his point though, it's not exactly the normal read for a 18 year old male, it's just a shame he can't look past the films and assess the books as what they weren't intended to be, not what the films have made them become.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Soon The Hobbit (sic) movies will have all been released and they can pass into (well deserved) obscurity. At least all this talk about PJ's abominations can soon start to fade away... That's the only thing I'm looking forward to with Number Three's release. The end is in sight... Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:09 am

What's the earliest people are going to see it? Out of my competative nature, I always go to the midnight showing, but this year they're holding them before hand, at 7pm. I'm going to one in IMAX 3D at 11pm because I have a final due by 10pm.

And I'm in the middle of Children of Hurin right now and Turin is such a dumb ass Rolling Eyes

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 26 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:07 am

Well the official premiere is tomorrow, but I believe there have already been advance screenings for the press. The fan contest winners saw the film a week or two ago, and a number of British theatres are screening it in at the same time as the premiere as a special one-day thing. But otherwise, the release dates for the majority of countries are between December 10 and 19, though in most cases you can go the night before at like 7 PM or 10 PM for what used to be known as midnight screenings. Also, in the US (where the official release date is December 17, so actually the 16) they're doing marathon screenings of all three films on Monday the 15th.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:33 am

Also, in the US (where the official release date is December 17, so actually the 16) they're doing marathon screenings of all three films on Monday the 15th. - Eldo

Are Americans being punished for something! Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:15 am

Americans, of course, are easily pleased --- they even have Adam Sandler. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:22 am

Laughing

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:48 am

From a post on ToRN by poster Dcole4 who says they have seen the film (I rather hope they havent given the description Mad ).
Basically they like the first half and the build up, then it all goes horribly cgi pear shaped-

Spoiler:

Oh dear oh dear  Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:From a post on ToRN by poster Dcole4

Jesus. Shits falling apart fast over there. If what he said is true, this is 10X worse than expected.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:23 am

SPOILERS.......FFS Fili........what the effen hell. Killed on display to taunt Thorin, so much for his heroic protecting Thorin with body and shield. Eff all Beorn obviously he doesn't turn the battle and once agian a Legolas action orgy to get all the fangirls and fanboys so inclined all hot and bothered. If this is all correct then there is no curse in the tounges of elves, dwarves, men or even the black speech of mordor to descibe what a steaming pile of last nights dinner the writers and director are.

With all of the significant stuff that seems to be held back possibly for the EE I am seriously wondering if some numbnuts marketing shite head has decreed this is essential to max out the EE sales to all us Tolkien nerds figuring that the mass public don't give a toss about the finer details (you know, the stuff actually in the book).

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:35 am

I have no idea how reliable the source is, but actually it all sounds depressingly likely given the cgi crapfest we have had to endure so far and how 'reinvented' the entire story has been.

Seems like PJ is going out on a new low if its all true.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 am

update- apparently the poster is reliable and did a similar early review of DOS last year that was entirely accurate.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:52 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:update- apparently the poster is reliable and did a similar early review of DOS last year that was entirely accurate.

I don't doubt any of it. CGI Dain sounds perfectly shitty. It all sounds exactly like it should for the ultimate final hurrah.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 am

parzival wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:update- apparently the poster is reliable and did a similar early review of DOS last year that was entirely accurate.

I don't doubt any of it.  CGI Dain sounds perfectly shitty.  It all sounds exactly like it should for the ultimate final hurrah.  

yep, just commented on the site"by tolkien fans for tolkien fans"(yeah right) and someone gave me the typical PJ reach around expert reply "you sound like youve already made up your mind about this movie"

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:36 am

Well to seriously labour an unpleasant metaphor- if someone serves you up for dinner two plates of steaming shite, and then you get told they are making you a third, and its described to you, and the description sounds exactly like a pile of steaming shite, I dont think its too great a leap to suspect you are about to be served up yet another dinner of steaming shite!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 am

That sounds atrocious.  Why is it that every time I think my expectations have sufficiently bottomed out, I have to find some new way to lower them again? Mad

The TORn guy does say that he thought the first two-thirds of the film were great and that most or all of his problems were with the final third.  That's something ... maybe (unlikely).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 am

You are ever the optimist Eldo! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 am

Well it's like ... on the one hand, I don't want to delude myself into thinking these movies are going to be something they're not. But on the other hand, I want to try to enjoy the experience of its release and the opportunity to say goodbye to a big part of my childhood. But so far I've had trouble getting very interested because I'm so uninvested. I'm sure once I see the film I'll enjoy analyzing and critiquing it with you guys and on other forums, though. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:43 am

One of the few blessing to being older Eldo is these terrible films were never a part of my childhood. And that I am very grateful for indeed (I got the original SW trilogy! cheers ).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:45 am

Well I had HP, LOTR, and Pirates, in addition to watching Star Wars on home video. I think I made out okay, though I'm sure you'd disagree. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next