Radaghast
feanor 1999
Bluebottle
21 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Future releases [2] - Page 9 Empty Re: Future releases [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Oddly enough Lady Macbeth is the role Karen Gillan most wants to play, not I assume opposite the now very ancient Sir Sean though.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 02, 2014 9:19 pm

I think if the accents get too Scottish it might end up a bit Corporal Frazer from Dads Army.  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 9:25 pm

James McAvoy played the part to great acclaim on stage, I dont see why if you get the quality in it should sound odd- not even sure why a play about Scotland set in Scotland would be odd if the people had scottish accents- that just seems sensible and normal to me. (He also mind you did a tv version I loathe- Shakespeare retold- where all the dialogue is altered and modernised  Mad )

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 pm

well it could go ''weeeere all doooooomed''. If the original was in Scottish it would sound more natural, but its Shakespearian English, its like listening a poem by Rabbie Burns, it sounds better with a Scottish accent because it was written by a Scot in Scottish dialect.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Sorry Figg but that sounds barmy to me. A thing doesn't have to be written in Sots for it to be acted by a Scot. Modern scottish drama is not written in Scots its written in English.

Thats like saying David Tennant should not have bee the lead actor in Broadchurch because its not all written in Scots. Its ridiculous.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri May 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Sounds like a great idea- take the most famous wordsmith in history and remove all his words  Evil or Very Mad 

Oh, I'm sure Francis Bacon wouldn't mind.  Trollface 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Sorry Figg but that sounds barmy to me. A thing doesn't have to be written in Sots for it to be acted by a Scot. Modern scottish drama is not written in Scots its written in English.

Thats like saying David Tennant should not have bee the lead actor in Broadchurch because its not all written in Scots. Its ridiculous.

:facepalm:  you are missing my point. we are not talking about modern Language or modern actors in modern tv shows. we are talking about Shakespeare. if you are not careful it can turn hammy. it would sound ridiculous in a Scouse or Geordie accent too. Its not because I am against a Scottish accent or Scottish people adapting it for Scottish people to hear, but for everyone else we expect it to be in received English. Thats why mel Gibson didnt use his American/Ozzy accent. Only stars like Pacino can get away with it.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Any Shakespeare can sound hammy if its badly acted- I dont see accents as relevant to that. And if a play is set in Scotland, with 90% Scottish characters then Scottish actors seem not just appropriate but sensible and right.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun May 04, 2014 7:57 am

Spoiler:

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 04, 2014 1:16 pm

I love these cynical reviews RA !  Very Happy

Future releases [2] - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Any Shakespeare can sound hammy if its badly acted- I dont see accents as relevant to that. And if a play is set in Scotland, with 90% Scottish characters then Scottish actors seem not just appropriate but sensible and right.

so you are saying Romeo and Juliet should be acted only by Italians with an Italian accent?  Laughing  ''ei Julie whatta youa doin uppa that balcony''  Rolling Eyes 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun May 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Romeo, Romeo, Itsa youra Cornetto I wanta, Si !  Very Happy

Last edited by azriel on Sun May 04, 2014 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Future releases [2] - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Laughing 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Basically yes, but less cornetto ad.
Not on stage, part of the magic of a play is can be put on wherever you can get enough people to play the parts.

But film is an entirely other medium with different rules and conventions.
So yeah, if a contemporary film is set in South Africa we would expect South African accents and find it odd if there were not.
The same rules of film should in my view be followed when putting Shakespeare on the screen.

This would also have the effect of opening up Shakespeare parts to far more nationalities of actors than the usual half dozen English actors who pop up in every single major Shakespeare film.  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 2:23 pm

I still think Shakespeare should be in a received English accent. Like high fantasy should be in an English accent. Game of Thrones uses regional accents for North and South, but the dialogue is neither very modern or high falutin so it works. But all great fantasy films need to have an English accent to be taken seriously. Boromir with a Bronx or French accent wouldnt work imo. I think the same is true for classics. If they were written that way. Obviously the English accent has evolved since Shakespeares day, but I am not keen on this modern revisionism which sometimes seems like pc pandering. Shakespeare is difficult enough without having to strain your ears to understand a Glaswegian accent.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Shakespeare never set a play in Glasgow.

It would be more Inverness for Macbeth. And whilst I do seem to recall you having much to say about Amy Pond I cannot ever recall you ever saying that you could not understand any of her dialogue because of her accent.

There are plenty Scottish actors have become famous on the world stage. Sean Connery played everyone, no matter the characters nationality with a Scottish accent (which also irritated me in Hunt for Red October and Highlander in particular).

But there are plenty of Scots sit down every week to watch Coronation Street, EastEnders, Holly Oaks ect and they dont seem to have a problem understanidng regional english accents. Why is it so tricky the other way round?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Highlander...yeah, what was that all about anyway?
They set the a story in the Scottish Highlands, they even choose that as their title, and then you cast a....... Frenchman??
Ah, but then you have the good fortune to sign the world's best known Scottish actor to make up for it, and so you cast him as a .......
....Spaniard. Suspect 
It's hard to watch. It's just painful.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Actually the weird French/Scottish hybrid accent works fine for the character. At that time period the Auld Alliance with France was on the go and it was not uncommon for Clan Chief to send their heirs to be raised and educated in the French Court.
The main character isnt the direct heir but he is a direct member of the ruling clan family, being the cousin of the Clan's heir.

But casting a Scotsman to play an Egyptian with a Scottish accent is just weird and crabbit inducing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 5:19 pm

I watched part of the first TASM and it seemed okay-ish, but I had to go and never much felt like finishing it.  The reviews of TASM2 haven't really changed my mind. Razz

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun May 04, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Actually the weird French/Scottish hybrid accent works fine for the character. At that time period the Auld Alliance with France was on the go and it was not uncommon for Clan Chief to send their heirs to be raised and educated in the French Court.
The main character isnt the direct heir but he is a direct member of the ruling clan family, being the cousin of the Clan's heir.

So let me make sure I understand your argument:

It's OK that the main Scottish character has a heavy French accent, because it's possible that his cousin might have gone to school in France once? scratch 

{{{ Forumshire: I'm worried about Petty. He's been spending so much time on TORn, I'm afraid he's starting to reason like them! Shocked }}}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun May 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Very Happy 
I think his argument went more along the lines of MacCleod (was that his name?) possibly having grown up in France.

Either way, a Frenchmen trying to put out a Scottish accent would certainly prompt a modern New York cop to comment on the strangeness of his accent.  Razz 

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

It would be more Inverness for Macbeth. And whilst I do seem to recall you having much to say about Amy Pond I cannot ever recall you ever saying that you could not understand any of her dialogue because of her accent.

Because her accent is posh middle class quasi English Scottish, thats why. It hardly classes as Scottish.  Rolling Eyes 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun May 04, 2014 6:45 pm

I agree that it lacked the vibrancy and rolliness of a good strong accent.
Then again, there are only so many voices in which one can yell out: "Doctor! Doctor. DOCTOOOOR!!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 04, 2014 8:36 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon May 05, 2014 6:29 am

Well, surprise surprise. A couple of the writers on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 also were writers on Star Trek: Into Reference. Rolling Eyes

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next