Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 am

A quarter of the shots, geez

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 am

Jeez, talk about ruining it for the actors. All the realism that helped Lord of the Rings work was tossed out for this.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:23 pm

call me old fashioned but this cgi is ruining cinema. It seems like the handmade sets and skills that made LOTR so real are slowly suffocating under the weight of plastic shiny effects. The only saving grace is still the costumes and prop department, but how long before they cgi clothes on the Actors.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:38 pm

How long before they CGI the actors ?? Wont be long & real, flesh & blood people will be made obsolete, only for Theatre. Im with you Figgs on this. Its getting out of hand now with this CGI. I far more enjoy Ray Harryhausen's attempts at mythology than all this green,blue,pink,purple shit ! I still wonder how the holy heck can actors relate to nothing but a screen or prop like a ball ??? how can they possible find any depth or emotion ? theres no interaction, & even cock ups raise a smile & you get social connection with your friends & fellow actors ! But this ?? Nah, Im not enjoying it as much as the manufacturers said on the tin I would ! Mad

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Not that big a surprise really having seen the movie. The 3D as well gave me that feeling. In short, there wasn't a whole lot in the movie that looked real.

And I agree completely on the acting to a plastic ball, Azriel. It seems some people only see progress there and not it's fallbacks. The strain it puts on the actors and their performances.

And am I wrong in saying that perhaps exactly what the acting performances in DOS was lacking was emotional depth?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:02 pm

the thing is I can fully understand the heavy use of cgi for films like Gravity or Avatar,without cgi those films are nearly impossible. But for Tolkien the closer to the earth it gets the better imo. By earth I mean real people actually walking on real grass, real wind on real trees, real horses (grey) galloping towards real wooden sets like in Rohan.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm

It isn't the CGI that is the issue, it is the producer that is the issue. CGI can create things that are impossible to do otherwise. You can't, for example, build a fleet of starship and blow the shit out of them just yet.

The issue is when it is taken too far. Textures and colours and the way things move and flow in CGI is all done with mathematical algorithms that just cannot match the same complexity in life just yet. So, you end up with what we see so much of now... stuff that could look amazing that just looks unnatural.

BTW - still not seen this.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 pm

I still have the feeling it's going to look incredibly dated just in 5-10 years. Shrugging  That's always the way when using the latest technology.

But you are right of course, in certain situations CGI is very effective. It's the overuse and using it in situations where the drawbacks are huge as well, yes.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:25 pm

CGI is hugely effective as an addition to a scene. Altering a background, or adding stuff in. Its when its front and centre and is everything on screen it falls apart and you end up in the uncanny valley.

My own preference is for model work supplemented by cgi. The ST franchise is a good example, models still look better than cgi ships, but the best is model ships supplemented by cgi.
Cgi alone lacks a sense of weight, of solidity.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:28 pm

azriel wrote:How long before they CGI the actors ?? Wont be long & real, flesh & blood people will be made obsolete, only for Theatre. Mad

This is my other big concern.  I occurs to me that a major reason for making great actors like McKellen, Blanchett, and Lee, (not to mention Bloom, Weaving and the others) act against a green screen may be economic.

Now that they have nearly perfect digital models of everybody, the LotR prequels and sequels can be dragged on indefinitely, long after all the actors are dead and in their graves. Evil or Very Mad  And at very little cost, just some royalties to the heirs No .
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm

People are much harder- and we are a some ways off convincingly doing that.
With objects and animals its easier to fool the eye, but humans are so good at reading other humans that we spot as false cgi people pretty quickly.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeh.. It is facial expressions that never seem to translate well. Even the best examples are a way off.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Beowulf was an interesting example of that- technically it was superb in its time yet the eye is not fooled entirely. (For some reason fat faces same more realistic than thin ones)

An earlier example that was also technically impressive but had the same 'uncanny' feel to it was the Final Fantasy film Spirits Within-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:People are much harder- and we are a some ways off convincingly doing that.
With objects and animals its easier to fool the eye, but humans are so good at reading other humans that we spot as false cgi people pretty quickly.

You mean like the White Council?
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:24 pm

I mean like most of the film!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I mean like most of the film!

My point exactly.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Not only did the CGI look cheap IMO, but it was insanely obvious. I'm thinking about Legolas in particular here. What he's doing isn't cool because I'm fully aware that he's not even doing it, that its a CG version of him. At least in LOTR I couldn't tell most of the time when he was real or fake!

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 pm

no matter how perfect cgi becomes the eyes of the characters are still dead.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 pm

I agree Tin- there is an awe involved in seeing humans perform extraordinary deeds- like watching a great circus act- but when you know its all cgi there is no awe, there is no wonder because there is no reality to it. Its dull and boring instead of exciting and worse there is no sense of danger because there is no danger.

A great exemplary of this are the Bond films- they made their name with incredibly difficult, real world stunts.
When they started using cgi it all fell apart and they wisely went back to using real stunts.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm

CGI is fine until it replaces creativity and ingenuity. Jackson really changed from the Lord of the Rings to now. Not just in how he treated the source material, but a bit in his directing as well. The models are gone, the real actors are gone for some of the orcs like Azog. His self restraint is gone, replaced with callous ego.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm

His self restraint is gone, replaced with callous ego. - RA

But that was just the same with LoTR's- scratch  I distinctly remember saying so at the time!  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 pm

nope
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Blah Blah Blah bloody PJ! etc I can't even be bothered to be properly crabbit anymore, maybe the TABA trailer might have some effect on me...

Incidently, Figgs, what do you think Jackson got right with LOTR in comparison to The Hobbit? Were they purely better films (even Petty would agree with that-to an extent), or stronger/bolder adapatations.

We've had this argument before, and whilst I think LOTR are very good (or at least daring, well made, entertaining) films, much of the approach Jackson took with The Hobbit is evident in the earlier films-stupid jokes, over extended fight sequences, erratic pacing and rewriting character arcs for hollywood convention-they are equally tastless adaptations in many regards, they just succeed more on their own terms, doing more interesting things in the process.

Azog chasing the Dwarves, the love triangle between Planky, Cranky, and pass me a hanky I'm going to throw up (Legolas, Tauriel and the Cheeky midget with something down his trousers) and the Dwarves vs Smaug fight all seemed...obvious to me, as if Jackson was ticking the boxes needed for a paycheck.

Personally for me the very fact that Jackson wrangled $280 million out of New Line to make LOTR in the first place shows a certain lack of restraint! Yet 10 years later with much more clout he's become so much more easier to anticipate...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Planky, Cranky, and pass me a hanky I'm going to throw up  lol!

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Beowulf was an interesting example of that- technically it was superb in its time yet the eye is not fooled entirely. (For some reason fat faces same more realistic than thin ones)

Gawd, did I ever hate this movie  Mad 

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 10 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next