Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Wiki said the site went up in 1999, that's ancient by internet standards.

And I usually stay out of the default subreddits, and stick to the ones I'm subscribed to. Something like this is more likely to be brought up in the defaults where discussion tends to meander and turn to seedier things.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by azriel Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:14 pm

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Catseen_zps1805e563

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:15 pm

You know, I've never seen "Two Girls, One Cup." And I'm proud of that fact.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 pm

thank you for letting me know it exists, so I know what to avoid!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:25 pm

I guess this is one of those moments where I say thank God for my adblock.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 pm

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Bane-mask
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 pm

I could not unsee that during the entirety of TDKR. And when she started fiddling with the "finger" bits at the end... Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:36 pm

And people say IM warped  Rolling Eyes 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:41 pm

So after the High Fells scene, Gandalf and Radagst are outside having a burping contest and Gandalf says that Azog is a "commander of legions" and he's working with Sauron.

How do you know that? How do you know he's working with the enemy. He could just have a personal vendetta against Thorin.

Bay-eornnen says that there's an alliance between the Moria orcs and the Necromancer, but he doesn't say that Ass-hog is the leader of everything.

Where is the evidence that he's collaborating with Sauron. The audience saw it earlier when Ass-hog had a powwow with Sauron's fart cloud, but you didn't.

Wait, what's that on the ground. Is that the script? Did you read the script too?

Hey, answer me thing-in-the-mouth-face. What's wrong with your face???

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Hey, answer me thing-in-the-mouth-face. What's wrong with your face???
 Laughing 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Azog seems to run around the colder parts of Middle-eart without a shirt on, a lot. Do you think he runs around with hard nipples the entire time?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:30 pm

I think it's more than apparent at this point that Boyens and Walsh doesn't do logic very well.

There are large logical faults in the LotRs movies that were introduced by their "improvements".

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 pm

how do i logic

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:01 pm

I assume that was meant rhetorically. scratch  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:05 pm

bungobaggins wrote:how do i logic

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:53 am

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 1486715_10151933656069821_225000286_n

the movie made more sense and was more enjoyable the second time Very Happy i think i might be in love with thorin.. and kili... and bard.. and fili..and Ori.....and.. er.. Azog.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 am

Nice Game of Thrones tie-in there Norc.  Smile

I don't understand how you can like Azog though! Mad Mad
Bard, I get; Kili I can imagine; but Azog? And Thorin?!

No mention of Thranduil!!

Wow.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Really2

I'm glad you liked it more the second time around though, coolios.

The second time around I saw Stephen Colbert, noticed what you said about Bilbo being shocked with himself for killing the mutant grub, and was subtly mad about all the little stupid things that I saw.

By the way, why couldn't Cumberbatch play a character who's face we can see? That would be awesome! Cumberbatch as Bard, or as a slightly sinister Wood-elf, or some random Lake-towner who makes disparaging comments about the dwarves!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:how do i logic

lol!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 am

So people are getting around to seeing it for a second time and I haven't even gotten around to seeing it yet.  Embarassed 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 30 Empty What a load of rubbish this film was.

Post by Kafria Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Having decided I really wasn't over keen to see he film I hadn't made plans to see it. Unfortunately as part of the Christmas festivities my mum and squach wanted to go and see it, so reluctantly I went. (After Squach had made me promise not to moan throughout.)

I was as good as my word until we were safely back in the car and my response was simply, what a pile of balls!

Have since read through this thread, I had been avoiding it.

Unlike most people I though beorn could have been brill, if given anything decent at all or true to the character to work with. Again in contrast to most I really didn't like thranduil at all, it felt too much like a sulky fifteen year pretending to be grand. Yes I intend to run for cover after posting this  Sofa 

I actually felt sorry for Evangeline. I thought actually she did really well, but was doomed by the insistence of the love story bit. Without that I don't mind the addition at all. I enjoyed Bard, I'm curious about the dislike of the family, no it doesn't add to the story, but it is simply a background, didn't worry me.
The dragon in the mountain is largely best ignored, there should simply be the stench of roasted hobbit and dwarf if there had behaved that way.

On the melty gold statue, I assumed that the statue had been under construction before the dragon came, but not finished. The furnaces were used to fill the stone mould, the outer edge hardening enough due to the cold stone so it held it's sharpe momentarily before the residual heat of the molten gold inside turned it back to liquid. Daft, unlikely, and the gold would have dropped instead of spurting out, but a possible logic?

On a side note, I did keep half an eye on edit possibilities and came out b depressed. I am not surprised the initial edit is less than an hour long, it might be possible to forgive the extras if the rest was in any way true to the book, but it is clear a vast red pen has been taken to the book to allow time for the extras.

Far more interesting to me was the fact that this is the first 3d film I've seen, and I was surprised by a couple of things. Firstly is that little thought seems to have gone into depth of focus as the scenes move, it works best were you move throughout the depth of the image naturally, in the case of the hobbit in the slower scenes not the quick camera moves. Secondly is subtitles, invariably in the nearest foreground, completely out of focus with the depth of the action you are watching and really disorientating. I feel to make it work well, and it could and should, filmmakers or at least Jackson need to be a little more careful of shot composition.

Oh and a belated happy Christmas to all, hope the festive season has been good to all.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Welcome back Kafria!  cheers  We have missed you and Squach.

For me the biggest problem with DOS is that whole sections of the book and whole characters like Beorn are swept aside or rushed past solely in order to make room for PJ and the Covens completely un-Tolkien like flights of fancy and pure fan fiction.
Its one thing to add stuff or to alter something for pacing or changes to medium, but there is no excuse for PJ ditching the original story just to fit in more of his own made up nonsense.  Evil or Very Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Bendydick Cumberbumber should have been Thranduil. Lee Pace was good but Cumberwumber would have given him gravitas and scaryness. Only problem is Cumber looks horrible in blonde wigs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Is it my turn to say "Something crabbit this way comes. pale " this time, Figg?  Laughing 

I actually think Cumberbatch might have been an interesting casting as Bilbo. I don't really see why they needed a cuddly lovable actor in the role.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Forgot to mention, I suddenly had a false logic moment in the middle of the film.

As Gandalf visits the empty tombs of the Nazgul I suddenly thought that in a truncated timeline this was possibly logical, if these were meant to be direct sequels then the tide needs to be turning and the set up for LOTR needs to be starting. It was only a few minutes later that I went, but there's still 60 years for this to happen in. If you assume that Bilbo is already old, Frodo is at home waiting to set off in  a year or two then what is happening in the films is horrible, but logical. Shows how much the time cut in LOTR is seered into my brain.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Kafria wrote:On the melty gold statue, I assumed that the statue had been under construction before the dragon came, but not finished. The furnaces were used to fill the stone mould, the outer edge hardening enough due to the cold stone so it held it's sharpe momentarily before the residual heat of the molten gold inside turned it back to liquid. Daft, unlikely, and the gold would have dropped instead of spurting out, but a possible logic?
I'd say no. And I refuse to entertain any notions of rationalizing such a ridiculous scene that ends being a waste of everyone's time, including the viewer's.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next