Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the Master's dining on testicles. I seem to recall reading this would be a part of the film. If they cut it, I guess it's a small mercy.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Radaghast wrote:No offense taken. My s/n is intentionally misspelled—And my avatar speaks for itself, I think Smile

Raddy is actually much more tolerable in this film, but it comes at the expense of Gandalf. No
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Surely we all must have seen this coming. Ever since the opening scene of FOTR Jackson has been locked into an accelerating ever climbing curve of departure from the stories. I can't imagine still how he can go further than his latest efforts... But I know in my guts that he will.  :facepalm: 
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

How jam packed with action is TaBA going to be?

Smaug to attack Laketown and die.

The Dol Guldur plot doing whatever PJ decides Dol Guldur plot is going to do.

The Arkenstone jazz. It was implied that Bilbo picked up the Arkenstone whilst talking to Smaug wasn't it? I assume they didn't show it deliberately to add tension.

The Bo5A including more eagles, bears, wolves, orcs, men, elves, dwarves and goodness knows what else.

And the back again part.

Considering how much action they managed to squeeze from floating barrels, the next film could be 150 minutes of madness.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Radaghast wrote:One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the Master's dining on testicles. I seem to recall reading this would be a part of the film. If they cut it, I guess it's a small mercy.

I completely forgot about that. There is a scene where the Master is eating but I didn't notice any testicles (there were no food close-ups anyway). Perhaps they thought better of it, or maybe they're just saving it for the EE.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Petty think of it as a slapstick comedy and you will enjoy it more.

2 things I think even you MIGHT think was an improvement was them establishing the importance of The Arkenstone early on (I am familiar with the Whole 'Was the Akenstone a Silmaril?' argument but I still think it comes out of knowhere in the book) and Bard's role (I kinda like he appears out of nowhere and saves  the day in the book...but this sure as shit isn't the book anymore).

And Ringrotten I will certainly watch TABA at least once, beyond possibly being Christopher Lee's last major role and being (hopefully) stuffed full of noisy action (at this point It's all I'm expecting anymore-let's hope it's at least coherent and well directed) It's always interesting to see Tolkien's work interepreted by others, even if it only ends up showing why he is the superior storyteller.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Radaghast wrote:No offense taken. My s/n is intentionally misspelled—And my avatar speaks for itself, I think Smile

Raddy is actually much more tolerable in this film, but it comes at the expense of Gandalf. No
Maybe, but he'll forever be seared in my mind with scenes of silly dying pixelated hedgehogs and ludicrous sleigh-pulling bunnies Mad

Oh, and let's not forget the bird shit  Mad 

Last edited by Radaghast on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Carcharoth wrote:How jam packed with action is TaBA going to be?

I'm expecting something that makes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 look slow-paced and contemplative.

Hopefully TABA doesn't end quite as abruptly as DH2, though. They'd better have the auction at the end! {{{It will probably be cut so that old Bilbo and Frodo show up again, especially since they had no appearances whatsoever in DOS.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:31 pm

My guess is Sauron skips off to battle with Azog and the White Council chase him to the Lonely Mountain. In this way we almost get to see The Battle of Six Armies, or The Enhanced Battle of Five Armies. A year ago I would've laughed at my own prediction, now I'm not so sure Shrugging

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:32 pm

malickfan wrote:2 things I think even you MIGHT think was an improvement was them establishing the importance of The Arkenstone early on (I am familiar with the Whole 'Was the Akenstone a Silmaril?' argument but I still think it comes out of knowhere in the book) and Bard's role (I kinda like he appears out of nowhere and saves  the day in the book...but this sure as shit isn't the book anymore).
I don't get the thing about the Arkenstone.  It gives Thorin the right to rule? Doesn't the death of the dragon and his lineage do that? Seems to me just another ridiculous change.

Last edited by Radaghast on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:35 pm

I can't imagine that the auction will be there. If Jackson felt the Scouring of the Shire was an anticlimax, then what is an auction supposed to be? And you're probably right about Bilbo and Frodo, Eldo. To hell with Peter Jackson and all who ever lent their pen to the writing of the script.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Ive enjoyed reading all these reviews from all the brave souls that went to see DOS. There should be an "Audience Participation" award cos you guys bloody deserve it ! Each one of you sounded at first like road accident victims, dazed, stunned, fumbling weakly about. Then,as the initial shock wore off & your senses came through, you all gave coherent, clear, sensible reports. Well done you lot ! Instead of a "George cross" medal there should be a "Im VERY Cross" Medal ! You could wear it with pride, of coming out alive from a Cinema sitting of another PJ ego trip.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:If Jackson felt the Scouring of the Shire was an anticlimax...
Wow, if he thinks that, then he really doesn't understand Tolkien  Shocked 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:My guess is Sauron skips off to battle with Azog and the White Council chase him to the Lonely Mountain. In this way we almost get to see The Battle of Six Armies, or The Enhanced Battle of Five Armies. A year ago I would've laughed at my own prediction, now I'm not so sure Shrugging

Yeah, I have little doubt that the armies Gandalf saw marching off while he was in his cage were heading towards the Lonely Mountain.  After all, Azog (and also Bolg) is merely a servant of Sauron in the movies, as seen by him being summoned back to Dol Guldur despite his desire to chase Thorin.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't know if he ever said that, but what other reason might he have had? I could even agree that after the four hours RotK already last for, another hour with the Scouring would have been too much. But as Petty has shown us, there would've been plenty of time for the Scouring as well had the writers not added so much of their own ideas.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Radaghast wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:If Jackson felt the Scouring of the Shire was an anticlimax...
Wow, if he thinks that, then he really doesn't understand Tolkien  Shocked 

He's been saying that for years. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 pm

them establishing the importance of The Arkenstone early on - Malick

But the only thing the Akenstone is important as is a physical representation of greed and avarice and its pretty good at that. It doesnt have to be some magic thing that inexplicably turns all other dwarves into a zombie who must follow whoever holds it- what the hells that about?  Mad

He's been saying that for years.- Eldo

And Ive been saying for the same amount of years that he doesnt understand Tolkien! I win!  cheers (Ah bollocks but that means I get shit adaptations  Evil or Very Mad wish I could have been wrong! )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Carcharoth wrote:My favourite part in Erebor was when Thorin said 'if this is to end in fire, then let us all burn together' and then they hastened to spilt into 3 or 4 groups and run around divided Very Happy

Laughing I didn't even think of that! And they really didn't need to stand and fight. They could have just GONE BACK THE WAY THEY CAME AND HID AND COME UP WITH A DESCENT PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched this one review that made a good point (though around here I don't think it's sufficient). He said that people have to accept that these aren't the Hobbit but rather prequels to Lord of the Rings. He said that Tolkien fans should be happy because they have their original story and now they get to see a new one. Essentially, he's saying that the movies are fan fiction, fulfilling any "what ifs" that fans had about the source material.
I know I (guiltily  Crying or Very sad ) wanted more tie-ins to LOTR when I read the Hobbit when I was nine, because I saw no reason why there shouldn't be. So I guess that's why I was able to enjoy this bastardization of the book because it felt like I was seeing a younger-me's fantasy put on the screen.

That being said parts of it were still atrocious and couldn't even fool that younger-me that enjoyed some parts.

Tauriel would have been a great female role model if she didn't fail the Bechdel test and wasn't so manipulative with Legolas  Evil or Very Mad 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:My guess is Sauron skips off to battle with Azog and the White Council chase him to the Lonely Mountain. In this way we almost get to see The Battle of Six Armies, or The Enhanced Battle of Five Armies. A year ago I would've laughed at my own prediction, now I'm not so sure Shrugging

Yeah, I have little doubt that the armies Gandalf saw marching off while he was in his cage were heading towards the Lonely Mountain.  After all, Azog (and also Bolg) is merely a servant of Sauron in the movies, as seen by him being summoned back to Dol Guldur despite his desire to chase Thorin.

What scares me is the scene with Sauron appearing out of the Black Gate in RotK which they decided not to include. If Jacskon thought that a good idea back then, I can't imagine that he'll restrain himself a second time, not after DOS.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm half expecting the Blue Wizards to turn up leading the other 6 clans of dwarves (Seriously why were they mentioned? You don't have the rights to name or use them!) into battle whilst Tauirel and What's his face run off to get married.

I actually seem to be the most positive person here about the film-and I was relatively indifferent. That says it all.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

What scares me is the scene with Sauron appearing out of the Black Gate in RotK which they decided not to include. If Jacskon thought that a good idea back then, I can't imagine that he'll restrain himself a second time, not after DOS.

He will surely want to include everything including the kitchen sink in these films. Something I find rather sad. As a amateur storyteller myself I personally find Jackson including everything he can but not following a story like pattern that makes any sense. He knows this is his last hurrah into middle earth so he really is going to put every hair brained idea into it he can because in truth. This is HIS story. We aren't getting Tolkien's Hobbit, we are getting the Hobbit that Peter Jackson would want to see. Unfortunately its not the Hobbit I want to see
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Tauriel would have been a great female role model if she didn't fail the Bechdel test and wasn't so manipulative with Legolas  Evil or Very Mad 

It does seem funny that they add a female character, make her so badass that it is ridiculous, and yet still manage to reduce her to nothing more than a love interest. She would have been an almost acceptable addition if they didn't make the Kili link. Even an on/off relationship with Legolas would have be less insulting.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm

"We aren't getting Tolkien's Hobbit, we are getting the Hobbit that Peter Jackson would want to see" - Sinister

Yup, that's it. And I guess he's got every right to make the film the way he wants, at least I won't argue that he doesn't. But I also think we've got every right to be disappointed and angry, so let him hear it I say, and let's pray he reads this thread some day Nod

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:03 pm

I dont believe he does read anything anyone says, Im sure he does have a PR agent tho who keeps tabs on Forums etc to see what the general consensus is. They would let him know of any hostilities from the masses, after all, it is kinda connected with sales & profits.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:07 pm

He constantly says that he knows he can't please everybody, so therefore he doesn't try. He only focuses on those people that he knows will like the films. There's some truth in that statement, but it's awfully selfish on his part. He's only coddling the ones who like HIS version. For the Hobbit at least, he never gave the source material a chance, he just assumed everyone would like his version better.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 16 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next