Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:38 am

Ah, well. I have a tendency to blame Americans for anything strange about American popular culture.

But as I pointed out it's probably the same here as well.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:33 am

Johnnyd wrote:1. you go up to a star wars fans and tell them the star wars prequel sucks and they will all agreed with you.

2. you go up to a Peter Jackson fanboy and tell them that the hobbit sucks they will get violent and curse you out.

There were a lot more prequel defenders back when the prequels were actually coming out. The whole Hobbit situation is quite reminiscent of the Star Wars fandom to me. I have no doubt that the Hobbit films will be looked on less favorably after a couple of years. You can already see the beginnings of this with the way people talk about AUJ now compared to 12 months ago.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:00 am

The geography at the beginning of DOS makes absolutely no sense. At the end of AUJ it looked like they were really close to the edge of Mirkwood (plus they could see the Lonely Mountain plain as day), but here they're still running around mountains and vast plains to get to Beorn's and from Beorn's to Mirkwood.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:02 am

Eldorion wrote:
Johnnyd wrote:1. you go up to a star wars fans and tell them the star wars prequel sucks and they will all agreed with you.

2. you go up to a Peter Jackson fanboy and tell them that the hobbit sucks they will get violent and curse you out.

There were a lot more prequel defenders back when the prequels were actually coming out.  The whole Hobbit situation is quite reminiscent of the Star Wars fandom to me.  I have no doubt that the Hobbit films will be looked on less favorably after a couple of years.  You can already see the beginnings of this with the way people talk about AUJ now compared to 12 months ago.

We can only hope. We just need a Plinkett review! Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 am

bungobaggins wrote:
Keep Calm

And

ELE

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 Buddha-under-boddhi-tree

There we go  flower 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:52 am

I hate the opening of DOS!! Doing an edit now and its a bugger to put onto the end of AUJ as its all so sloppy in terms of where things are.

And even after DOS starts the editing is terrible.
Bilbo appears to be spying on the orcs in the craggy foothills of the Misty Mountains -which means they must have gone back towards the mountains from the Carrock?!
Then they make a run for it and it quick cuts to them fording a river and running into a wide open area of grass and no trees, then it cuts to the chasing wargs and Beorn, and then very next shot they are back in some woods somehow- where did the open land go to?- then another cut to the pursuers later and then back to the company who are once more out in the open again and running for Beorns house- its a shocking mess of continuity. I am surprised at just how sloppy it is.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:05 am

I didn't understand why Smaug sounded like the Goblin King; I imagined a subtler deeper and more devious yet smooth and intelligent voice, with less talking and more threat. Fire at every corner if a Smaug dwarf chase really must be shown. And how would Smaug know that there is a "darkness" (overkill) growing anyway; he has been asleep for years.

If the extended edition reintroduces Bombur and the river however it might be possible to like this film. The elvish fight scenes were impressive, but there are too many useless narrative spoiling imaginary orcs tracking them. The blu-ray should include a dynamic option to cut orcs. The initial Orc rundown before reaching the house was unamusing, the Orc attack at the elvish river portcullis sad, and the pre-dragon Orc raid of laketown messed up. Every time there is an imaginary orc attack there is a perfectly good reason for suspense (from the book) that is sacrificed and diluted. Assuming the extended edition includes everything but orc footage (like AUJ) however gives it some small hope of deorcafying the plot.
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Things I hate about The Hobbit.

None of the characters get a character arc. Some would quibble that Bilbo gets an arc, but I say he doesnt get one either. The Dwarves dont even talk for most of these two films. I envy the actor that got well paid for a year (Bombur) and he didnt have to learn one line of dialogue. Thorin doesnt change from film to film, same old same old glowering and being horrible to all around him.

So Bilbo does he or doesnt he? ok he changes from Bagend, but is Learning to kill things really character development? seeing as its not He who changed but the influence of the Ring on him, more than Bilbo actually Learning anything about the world, or coming to act with bravery after interior struggle. Acting instead of reacting. Do we see him act? maybe but only to kill something and I dont call that progress or a good thing, I actually think it makes Bilbo less, it makes him less of a Hobbit and more just a banal killer. It makes him less likeable.

On the other hand Frodo in LOTR films retains his innocence until the very last minute with Gollum, and then its not a deliberate stabbing, but a desperate struggle which ends in tragedy for both of them. I have heard a lot of people moaning Frodo is a wimp, but I thought Frodo was an innocent gentle creature lost in the horror of Mordor. If he had been more assertive or aggressive or had defended himself as Bilbo does with a sword, for me it would have taken away the angelic part of Frodo. For me Frodo symbolizes the Light of Earendil made flesh, he IS the Light travelling into the Dark. His untainted soul is only tested to the limits of endurance at the End of All Things at the Crack of Doom. The power of the Ring blots out his light and he falls into darkness.

Bilbo on the other hand is shown as an easy killer, momentarily shocked but nothing more. The one and only flash of Hobbit sense is shown during the key in the door scenes, and that was made ridiculous by fumbling and losing the key. So no, no one in the Hobbit gets any character arc, and Bilbo just diminishes. He was more likeable in Bagend.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Do you think that Walsh and Boyens view Gandalf's staff (phallus) as a symbol of his masculinity? I ask this because they seem to have an obsession with breaking it or destroying it.

Sauron emerges from what looks like a flaming vagina and destroys Gandalf's staff.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:03 pm

richardbrucebaxter wrote: The blu-ray should include a dynamic option to cut orcs.

lol! 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:29 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

There were a lot more prequel defenders back when the prequels were actually coming out.  The whole Hobbit situation is quite reminiscent of the Star Wars fandom to me.  I have no doubt that the Hobbit films will be looked on less favorably after a couple of years.  You can already see the beginnings of this with the way people talk about AUJ now compared to 12 months ago.

We can only hope. We just need a Plinkett review! Mad
PT should do a Plinkett type review  Nod 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Tempting. I dont keep women locked in my basement though- barrels dont have basements. (I have to keep 'em tied up outside but people keep nicking them  Mad )

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Razz

Well, you'll just have to come up with a new schtick. You can be Mr. Crabbit for "Crabbit Reviews".

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Mmmmmmm Crabbit Reviews.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:47 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Do you think that Walsh and Boyens view Gandalf's staff (phallus) as a symbol of his masculinity? I ask this because they seem to have an obsession with breaking it or destroying it.

Sauron emerges from what looks like a flaming vagina and destroys Gandalf's staff.

Bungo do you know what a Sheela na Gig is? Celtic 'female energy' which is very reminiscent of the way Sauron looks in the films. (I cant post an image as its rather rude) but maybe The Coven were subconsciously influenced by it.  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:51 pm

I wish just for once they might be influenced while adapting Tolkien by Tolkien!  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Sauron looks more like an arse with highly inflamed hemorrhoids, I think there's to much emphasis placed on fiery vagina's. I strategically placed a mirror for optimum visual & I didnt see Sauron glaring back, ( praps one needs to find a partner with chlamydia ?)  Shrugging 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 29 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Bungo do you know what a Sheela na Gig is? Celtic 'female energy' which is very reminiscent of the way Sauron looks in the films. (I cant post an image as its rather rude) but maybe The Coven were subconsciously influenced by it.  Shrugging 

You could maybe post it in spoilers.  bounce 

Az, you can post yours too, but only after you see Sauron glaring back.  Shocked 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 pm

I Googled that and it appears to be a female version of Goatse.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I had to google both of those things.

pale

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

ΞOΞ
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh, Eldo.

Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:05 pm

fortunately where I am right now the internet is slow, so I had time to read the text description of Goatse and kill it before the image loaded. Close call. pale 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

How do you guys not know what goatse is? Halfy you've been on this forum for the better part of four years. And Bungo you frequent Reddit. Is goatse really that much of an old meme? Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Apparently we don't search the pages you do, Eldo.  Evil or Very Mad 

Point goes to Figgsie on the Norcing board.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next