Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 27 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Music of the Ainur Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:15 am

I thought some of you might find this amusing...I just read an interesting article which estimated how much energy would be required to melt roughly the amount of gold that was smelted in minutes to make the ridiculous gold statue...

..."in regards to what kind of energy would be required to melt that much gold that quickly
How much gold was melted? I don’t exactly know. How long did it take to melt this gold? It was just a few minutes at most, but I don’t have an exact time. How much energy would this take and what about the power? This is exactly what I want to estimate...

..."What about a nuclear power plant? A Nimitz class aircraft carrier has a power plant that can produce 194 Mega Watts (1.94 x 108). That’s not enough. Not nearly enough. The dwarves would need about 38 Nimitz class carriers in order to get that kind of power. Well, they could use the power plant in the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier (which I previously estimated). That would do the trick.

One last thing. Could you float in liquid gold if you had a wheel barrel? Yes. I’m pretty sure a wheel barrel would even float in water. However, the wheel barrel would get pretty darn hot fairly quickly. I don’t think you could ride in a river of molten gold for very long without bad things happening..."      just made me laugh a bit...

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 27 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 27 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:01 am

well I suppose its a 'Heroic Wheelbarrow' and they normally dont burst into flames very easily.  Laughing 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:26 pm

My family drug me along to see the movie, and I have to thank all of you for preparing the ground.  If I hadn't been prepared for all the silliness I would have had so many 'huh?' moments I couldn't enjoy the movie even as a simple spectacle.  

As a simple spectacle it's actually rather enjoyable, though the magical heat-impervious wheelbarrow was finally so mind bendingly unreal it jerked me out of the moment.  And much of the other stuff that worked in the heat of moment comes back to you afterwards and makes you shake your head at the silliness of it all.

I enjoyed the glowing Tauriel elf though.  If women could learn the trick to glow like that they would instantly get their wish of unbridled ravishment, be it either ravishing (I ain't gonna stop her) or being ravished, it doesn't matter exactly how it happens, but sumptin's gonna happen.

Last edited by halfwise on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:43 pm

''I enjoyed the glowing Tauriel elf though'' Halfy

when they drug you, did they really drug you?  drunken 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Oh, a glowing elf babe will do it for me, drugged or not.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm

USA BOX OFFICE: DOS makes its way to the 300 mil half way mark. Trails AUJ by 30 mil.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=vs-lotr.htm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Was anybody else bothered by how Thranduil behaved more like a character in an opium dream rather than anything resembling normal? I think there must be mercury residue in all that makeup caked on him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:57 pm

I prefer David Bowies Elf/Goblin King, he was creepy spooky dangerous decadent and ridiculous. Thranduil was just stagey although he looked good, he didnt really convince me he is an Elve.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I tried a little experiment over at TORn, just how far are they prepared to go in the dumbing down of Tolkien without complaint, I posted this in reply to a staffer review,,

AzogTheTolkienDefiler
• 15 hours ago
yeah great review, and thanks to Peter Jackson for taking a boring little book and modernizing it. It was totally like LOTR but with more orcs. thumbs up.

they published it  Shocked 

Just saw this again.  :facepalm:  Razz  You should totally carry on and see how far you get.  Thumbs Up 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Nice one Figg  Laughing - you should praise Pj for dropping all the books clumsy dialogue and characters and replacing them with much better modern dialogue and modern characters.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I have continued. Theres this Ringer Review thing so I reviewed. I got the lowest score in the Whole place. One Ring. I called myself gorbag, figwit, desolationofazog. But I couldnt resist saying what I really think.  Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:52 pm

The truth will always come out Mrs Figg- and especially if its a crabbit truth  Twisted Evil 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:53 pm

darn tootin  Razz 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm still laughing over the idiots/Jackson fanboys on TORn who predicted DOS would smash $1.6 million worldwide.

slap laugh 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 pm

?? do you mean 1.6 billion? or are you saying they aimed ludicrously low?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh whoops yeah a Billion, still if it did only get 1.6 million I'd be  slap laugh for other reasons.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I tried a little experiment over at TORn, just how far are they prepared to go in the dumbing down of Tolkien without complaint, I posted this in reply to a staffer review,,

AzogTheTolkienDefiler
• 15 hours ago
yeah great review, and thanks to Peter Jackson for taking a boring little book and modernizing it. It was totally like LOTR but with more orcs. thumbs up.

they published it  Shocked 

I'm loving this as well Figg, but now I wonder if all the people on torn is doing that. scratch Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:38 pm

You mean we should go back and re-read all their naive clueless PJ worship as dripping sarcasm? That would be something...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:02 am

malickfan wrote:I'm still laughing over the idiots/Jackson fanboys on TORn who predicted DOS would smash $1.6 billion worldwide.

slap laugh 

What is the total at? I really haven't paid attention to be honest guess my "give a shit meter" has been broke ever since seeing the film, and realizing that Nothing from the book was appreciated in Jackson's version  Suspect 

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:56 am

I think it's scraping to near $450 milliion worldwide, bear in mind it hasn't yet opened in a lot of markets. I think it will end up about $80-100 mill short of AUJ...or more hopefully  Twisted Evil 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 am

I'm pretty sure it's opened everywhere but China and Japan now.  The domestic total will probably be in the $260-270 million range.  Even if the foreign total increases a little bit over AUJ, it's still not going to clear $1 billion by very much.

$1.6 billion would have made it the third highest grossing film ever, after Avatar and Titanic.  That was never going to happen no matter how good The Hobbit turned out.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyd Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:29 am

TORn is a Peter Jackson cult site were they all get butthurt over there if you say the Hobbit movie sucks which it does and they actually think Peter Jackson Hobbit version is better then the way Tolkien wrote it. What also pisses me off is over in the TORn site they actually think the way Tolkien wrote the hobbit book was boring and that peter Jackson made the Hobbit more entertainment and action pack.  They trying to say is peter Jackson is a better storyteller then Tolkien.

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyd Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:41 am

The only reason the Hobbit makes a billion dollors is because of the 3D IMAX tickets sell if it Wasn't for the 3D price It will prolly make less money then any of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Thats a good point- I wonder what the total would be if you take all the expensive tickets and just assume everyone saw it on standrd 2d screenings instead?

How much of the take is really popularity and how much is just overinflated pricing?

Bums on seats is probably a better way to count cinema than takings.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm

halfwise wrote:You mean we should go back and re-read all their naive clueless PJ worship as dripping sarcasm?  That would be something...

Well, it would be the first time the people on TORn made any sort of sense to me. Laughing 

I do wonder a bit about this growing fan obsession with box office numbers as well. And certainly the people who use it to justify the quality of whatever they are partial to. Should really the amount of money New Line makes on these movies play any part in how much I enjoy or don't enjoy them?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next