Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

yes I dont get it either. I dont care how much money a film takes really.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Bums on seats is probably a better way to count cinema than takings.

There's a number of people who advocate for that, but ticket prices vary wildly for a lot of reasons. Day of week, time of day, age of purchaser, how nice the theatre is, where the theatre is, etc. So while number of tickets sold would be more useful for comparing the popularity of different films, it wouldn't necessarily help in terms of figuring out how profitable a film was. Although that's hard to calculate for plenty of other reasons, not just 3D but also inflation, differences in movie markets around the world, and shady financial practices by studios.

Even so, tracking box office numbers can be fun as a spectator sport if you're into numbers like that. And high-profile successes or failures do have a very real impact on the sort of movies (and often other forms of media) that are made and promoted.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:01 pm

You would think you all were studying to be acountants.  Laughing 

I guess the box office number obsession must have stemmed from fans of shelved projects trying to justify their revival through financial arguments in some way.

I still don't really see the relevance of why how well New Line is doing out of these films should matter to my enjoyment. But as a purely intellectual activity I guess it might have it's merits Eldo.  Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:30 pm

I think a lot of die hard fans are obsessed with box office numbers because their self-esteem is wrapped up in these films. If they perform poorly, or someone criticizes them, they may take it as a personal attack or rejection.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Box Office is irrelevant these days-Crystal Skull, Promtheus and Tranformers 2 were all massive sucesses, but you'd be hard pushed to find someone who didn't (partially) at least regretting paying to see them.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:56 pm

The box office stuff has nothing to do with whether a film is good or if people "should" feel a certain way about it. It's just interesting to follow on its own.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:57 pm

It is, and even though I hate math, I do like numbers.  Embarassed 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 pm

A DVD Screener Rip of DOS has found its way on to a torrent site near you. For all those who were refusing to pay to see it.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Ah- a better version to edit from!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Interesting. Something to consider, for sure. Thanks for the tip, bungo!

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Thats what I said before Bungo, you dont even have to leave your front room any more to see tripe like DoS  Very Happy  Hell will certainly freeze over before I give PJ one stinking penny of MY dosh  Basketball 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Id hold out for the purist edit Azriel  Nod 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyd Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:34 pm

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/12/28/85646-lotrprojects-emil-johansson-it-is-no-longer-tolkiens-middle-earth/

read the comments.

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Keep Calm

And

ELE

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 28 Buddha-under-boddhi-tree

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:47 pm

I also find it really funny, no matter how much you tell the fans that you enjoyed the movie, if you say something bad about it they'll flip out. Children. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:18 pm

I agree with that Emil chap, he had some guts saying those things on TORn.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Yes, perhaps they will find themselves as yet another refugee in Forumshire one day.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:25 pm

There are a couple people on the torn forums that I think could find a nice home here.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyd Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 am

Even star wars fans know that Lucas ruin the star wars prequel and that the movies sucks were Peter Jackson fanboys can't even admit that the hobbit movie sucks with all the overblown CGI used in the movie which they all love while star wars fans all hated the CGI effects.

1. you go up to a star wars fans and tell them the star wars prequel sucks and they will all agreed with you.

2. you go up to a Peter Jackson fanboy and tell them that the hobbit sucks they will get violent and curse you out.

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:04 am

There are some Star Wars fans that like the prequels. Believe it or not.

I've even seen some people claim that you're not a Star Wars fan unless you like all six movies.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 am

Well, you Americans are crazy. Shrugging 

Generally that is, not as a rule.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 am

Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:17 am

What?  Very Happy 

We probably are as well come to think of it.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:33 am

It just seemed a stretch to go from Star Wars fanboys to Americans being crazy.

Seemed like a non-sequitur to me.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next