Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 26 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah thanks Figg, I was  bounce  around for a while after finding that quote.

To be clear, I did not mind Freeman's "miming." In fact, I liked it most of the time, with the single major exception being the way in which he knocked before passing through one of the main doorway's into the treasure-chamber.

By the by, I was perusing TORC and found this interesting thread:  http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=106114

Apart from Wildwood's extremely irritating over-use of smiley-faces, I liked the direction the thread took when Jotnar started talking about gold, and Mithfanion's pleasing crabbit.

My favourite bit:

Mithfanion wrote:
In this film, everyone and their mother is saying that The Darkness Is Coming. Every bad guy who gets half a chance utters the words. Gandalf and Radagast are involved in an immensely boring little subplot trying to find out who in the world this "Darkness" may be. Snore. Everybody in the audience knows already Jackson. Get on with it. Jackson overplays the constant references to Necromancer by doing it so often. as with everything he lays his hands on, it is over the top and too much. There is never a subtlety or hint to be found.

Smaug should indeed be his own creature. As he was in the book, yes, but also because it makes him more fearsome. Who says that Sauron would be able to direct and control Smaug? This is far from certain in the books, there is just an idea in the backstory that Sauron might make use of the immense damage Smaug could do. Film Smaug seems to be actively in league with Sauron, and be at his service.

Finally, the chase scene in Erebor might be the second worst part of the film ( after the incredibly boring sequence where they spent time in Lake-Town).

It doesn't make sense, no one believes what they are seeing, Smaug comes across looking foolish for standing in front of the statue so long while it erupts, while earlier he was unable to see a couple of Dwarves just above him on the bridge. Didn't Smaug have a fantastic nose? That he could smell the Dwarves even when Bilbo is inside but the dwarves are still outside Erebor. Yes they did. But that nose no longer functions when Jackson requires it.

And that is without considering that once again no one even gets a scratch on them, as in Goblin Town. Smaug is the most inefficient dragon ever it seems, how did he conquer the whole of Erebor? That is the question the invented chase sequence poses to me, a question that never occurred in the book because apparently Tolkien saw the absurdity of a couple of dwarves bringing the battle to Smaug.

Awful.

Wink 

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 26 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 pm

So Tolkien had it right all along.  Very Happy  

I think he was more affraid of the disneyfication of the films though, I wouldn't have thoguht he foresaw the advent of the epic action genre. Though maybe they could be said to use some of the same techniques when it comes to adaptating stories. As in exaggeration and the intrusion of unwanted matter.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:your Tolkien signature sums it up perfectly Forest.  Sad 
Agreed. Excellent quote.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Yay, another voice of reason at TORC cheers

Last edited by Radaghast on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 pm

''Apart from Wildwood's extremely irritating over-use of smiley-faces, I liked the direction the thread took when Jotnar started talking about gold, and Mithfanion's pleasing crabbit''  Forest

yeah whats with those smiley faces?  Laughing they kind of get in the way a bit. But I like what he says.  Thumbs Up

What I have found is that apart from Balin most of the main characters have become stoopidified in some way. Gandalf, Thorin, Smaug, The Master, even Bilbo are made out to be either unpleasant or thick or both. Gandalf is wandering about foreshadowing and walking into traps (why?) Smaug cant catch a fly, and Bilbo spends most of his time fiddling in his trousers.  No Thorin is just a plank.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 pm

the person on TORc kind of reminds me of the Bombadil character over at TORn but instead of rhyming everything or making it into poems the use those annoying smiley faces... I really don't get it but hey whatever makes them happy.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:51 pm

I think in the two years or so I've been a (rather infrequent) member of TORn, I've yet to come across a post by that Bombadil person I've understood-at least it's faithful to the namesake character!

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:58 pm

that Bombadil person is an irritating pretentious prat. Not saying what you mean is the antithesis of being Mancunian. Cant be doing with it.  Suspect Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 pm

You are Mancunian? That explains alot!  Nod 

I'm from boring old Hampshire.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Shocked  hey! explains what exactly?

((( Embarassed  on second thoughts maybe I dont want to know, probly something to do with not having a filter from brain to mouth  No ))))
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:18 am

Mrs Figg wrote:that Bombadil person is an irritating pretentious prat. Not saying what you mean is the antithesis of being Mancunian. Cant be doing with it.  Suspect Suspect 

I'm going to set aside ELE for a moment and say my peace about that "Bombadil" character.

He is annoying. And I've seen him use the death of his wife as some sort of trump card in debates about PJ's films.

Absolutely disgraceful.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:32 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
what blasphemy PJ and Coven are cooking up in their cauldron of hippo-poo-worthy storytelling.

And Petty was right, why does Legolas clearly say Gondolin when we see "elves of old" or "ancient elves" or "my ancestors" or something like that for subtitles? The same thing happens later when Bolg or Azog or some other idiot uses Black Speech and, instead of the name we can hear, are shown a description of that person or place, whichever it was.

Oh that line is glorious!
hppo-poo!
And yes, I heard and saw Legolas clearly say (in Elvish) "This (sword) was forged in Gondolin."
Of course, non-Tolkienites wouldn't know of Gondolin, so I'm guessing they thought "Long Ago" was good enough.
Leaving in Legolas saying Gondolin was supposed to be a nicety to US. Feh. I was confused and tried to ignore it. NOT!
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:34 am

That Gondolin line made me question the validity of the captions throughout the film.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:50 am

bungobaggins wrote:That Gondolin line made me question the validity of the captions throughout the film.

oh but come on Jackson and Boyens hired "experts" in the elvish dialect to make it authentic as possible. They had to have researched so much TOlkien that it is perfect.  Shocked   Nah nevermind with the careless script writing, and bumbling take on middle earth this time around when compared to LOTR is extremely shocking  Suspect ... Personally I think they hired anyone who would cater to the way they saw things and not the way a real Tolkien expert  :prof:  would see them. OR if they did find Tolkien experts it just proves that a persons morals and beliefs CAN be bought  Saucy Wink
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:55 am

I thought they were having David Salo work on The Hobbit films. He worked on LOTR too. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 am

Hmmm, David Salo is not listed on the imdb for DOS, but he is for AUJ.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:02 am

Maybe it's a copyright thing?

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 26 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 am

This whole glossing over Gondolin in that line doesn't make any sense, because Gandalf mentions that they were forged in Gondolin in the troll cave. There's no reason to not translate that line properly.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:10 am

Oh, right.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 26 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:56 am

Did noone else hear a similar thing happen with one of the orcs?

No matter. What I'm really curious about is what word Smaug says that sounds like an in-between of C*unting and Cantering and Counting!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:04 am

I swore I heard him say "a pack of cunting dwarves"

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:03 am

I believe I heard that while he was doing an interview as well. He snarls out "Cunting Dwarves!!" and everyone laughs and claps like he said something entirely else. It was odd.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Reminds me of the Who Framed Roger Rabbit? controversy, where thought by some that Donald Duck drops the N bomb, but denied by others.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:I believe I heard that while he was doing an interview as well. He snarls out "Cunting Dwarves!!" and everyone laughs and claps like he said something entirely else. It was odd.

Here's the video.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I guess he's supposed to be saying "canting" but it sure doesn't sound like that.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next