Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Wow Sin much more positive than I thought you'd be!

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Sinister71 Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm

honestly if you don't know the source material its a entertaining film, but as far as adaptations go its not a very good one IMO and could have been much better. i will say I was happy to see Bree again but it was a rather poorly written scene. So much could have been better. But like I said if you ignore the book completely the film is good mindless entertainment...

Sadly I don't think we'll get the talking ravens or thrush Bard can understand. And I am gonna say told ya so now about the ballista firing the black arrow, so when its a major point next year I was right... AGAIN!

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 pm

As a film: generally mediocre.

As a prequel: highly disappointing.

As an adaptation: barely qualifies.

Verdict: duuuuuuuuuuumb.

Review to follow.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm

malickfan wrote:

Like I said you have to completely throw the source material out the bloody window.  Twisted Evil  Forget anything about Tolkien's book and its enjoyably mindless and slightly entertaining. But don't get me wrong there were a ton of things that I despised. But I'm sick and will need to see it one more time so that the badness can soak in. Then you'll probably get a crabbit attack  Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Sinister71 wrote:Sadly I don't think we'll get the talking ravens or thrush Bard can understand. And I am gonna say told ya so now about the ballista firing the black arrow, so when its a major point next year I was right... AGAIN!
Way to steal from The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, PJ  Rolling Eyes 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
malickfan wrote:
Like I said you have to completely throw the source material out the bloody window.  Twisted Evil 
I might try that, if not for the fact that Jackass completely and utterly sucks.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Wow..Eldo I thought you were the 'let's think positive' bloke on this forum!

I predict a solid 'meh I don't quite know what I watched and I can't be arsed to figure out how I feel about it' reaction on my part.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

i am looking forward to the behind the scenes stuff and bloopers..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 pm

cheers See guys! I'm not completely crazy! Sin found parts of it entertaining too! You just have to forget that it's based off of the book!

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I'll never forget Mad

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Ok maybe not forget, but disassociate for the sake of your own sanity???

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:35 pm

malickfan wrote:Wow..Eldo I thought you were the 'let's think positive' bloke on this forum!

I predict a solid 'meh I don't quite know what I watched and I can't be arsed to figure out how I feel about it' reaction on my part.

Well it's not as bad as some of the reviews I read made me fear. I can think of noticeably worse examples of any of the problems I have with DOS in other recent-ish films. The saddest thing about it is that a decade ago, Jackson was capable of making one of the finest blockbuster series ever made. Now, he's not really distinguishable from mediocre directors like JJ Abrams who churn out bland but geek-pleasing flicks.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 pm

IL need a lobotomy to forget,
Trouble is....familiarity. Once you've read the book, anything after that is recognizable, whether its film or cartoon. Rolling Eyes  is for me.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Seems like my fondness for the Rakin Bass Cartoon isn't such a bad thing after all.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I didnt find even the supposedly fun parts fun. I was bored out of my tree. Every single time I saw Thorin I yawned and every time I saw Leggy I got irritated. So pretty much 99% of the time.

I actually got my most bored round Smaug THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO TENSION.  Mad he is stood there right in front of Smaug, Smaug could have fried him in an instant but there was far too much wasting time being smart asses. The thing about the book was that creeping feeling of being watched by an invisible Dragon that can swoop down on you from a bare desolate mountain side with nowhere to hide. of being locked IN the mountain down a tunnel while a storm of Thunder rages outside. of Bilbo creeping down the tunnel only to get singed on his heels. The book has tension it makes your hair stand on end, but this film has NOTHING. Just Smaug failing to bite Bilbo failing to just turn them all to crisp because of some idiotic plan of Thorins. its pathetic.  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Ok maybe not forget, but disassociate for the sake of your own sanity???
That would be hard to do as well. I've disliked almost everything I've seen of PJ (the exception being, perhaps, The Frighteners, which I don't even remember that well). Hard to think he'll hit any of the right notes this time, on any level.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Hear that? It's Professor Tolkien rolling over in his grave...

Sad to hear they even screwed up Schmwaugggggg-that is the one thing not hard to do with the book-a ferking huge dragon how can you NOT make that great?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 pm

azriel wrote:Today, I saw 2 different cinema posters on my travels, I noticed how each one was different, especially Tauriel's.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 The-Desolation-of-Smaug-Bard-the-Bowman-Movie-Poster_zps4bc1b556

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Smaugbows2_zpsf94a34a5

OK, probably nobody cares but me, but there are some details of these posters that are terribly wrong.  In the photo of Bard he has drawn his bow with his right palm facing away from him...his hand is thumb down instead of thumb up.  This is not done in traditional archery and is only done in modern archery by a fairly small minority who use a specific kind of mechanical release in which they use "back tension" rather than a trigger to release the arrow.  It is not done at all by those who shoot with their fingers instead of a mechanical release.

On Tauriel's poster look at the difference in her left hand vs. Legolas.  She has her index finger over the arrow while she is at full draw.  She would not do this.  You might do it if you had an arrow nocked but were not ready to draw, but once she began to draw she would not do this (if she knew what she was doing).  Also her right elbow should be up higher and her right wrist should be straight, but it is bent sharply.  This is what it looked like the first time my 3 year old tried to shoot a bow.  Also that very crooked head on Tauriel's arrow would never fly straight.

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:29 pm

beleg wrote:OK, probably nobody cares but me, but there are some details of these posters that are terribly wrong. In the photo of Bard he has drawn his bow with his right palm facing away from him...his hand is thumb down instead of thumb up.

it's a long bow. holding it like that will make you able to draw your hand further back making more potential energy without the arrow striking your face at release.

i agree about Tauriel though, i imagine it's a mistake due to the fact that she is posing rather than actually shooting something. But maybe she has strong enough upper arm mucles to draw the bow with a bended arm.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm still wondering why neither poster features neither a hobbit or Smaug...

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 pm

There were like four other posts in that series featuring various characters, including Bilbo.

Smaug wasn't featured in the marketing materials (for the most part) because they wanted to keep his design a secret.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, true, but there seem to be posters for every character. Like, who gives a crap about this poster?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 9 Movies_hobbit_character_posters_14

As for Smaug, they could have at least had a poster showing his eye.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 pm

They did.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/08/16/77224-new-desolation-of-smaug-key-art-poster/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

I stand corrected  Cool 

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Eldo where is your review? I'm dying to know how badly my childhood is being ruined!  bounce 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next