Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:them establishing the importance of The Arkenstone early on - Malick

But the only thing the Akenstone is important as is a physical representation of greed and avarice and its pretty good at that. It doesnt have to be some magic thing that inexplicably turns all other dwarves into a zombie who must follow whoever holds it- what the hells that about?  Mad
That's pretty much exactly what I thought it was. I don't know what this dumb crap in the movie is.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Radaghast wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:If Jackson felt the Scouring of the Shire was an anticlimax...
Wow, if he thinks that, then he really doesn't understand Tolkien  Shocked 

He's been saying that for years. Rolling Eyes
I try to avoid listening to him  Nod 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Was it just me or did Azog originally take Bolg's role of ambushing the Barrels at the gate? I seem to remember him being in the trailer.

Hmm...perhaps Jackson has been listening to us, I at least was VERY vocal about my Hatred for the Albino Fork Monster.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Good point, Malick. They used that one shot of Azog in nearly all the DOS trailers, and looking at it again, the stonework is clearly part of the Elven river gate.

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 OiqjNB7l
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Azog kind of look to me like Peter Garrett, one-time frontman for the Australian band Midnight Oil Razz

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 pm

It is noticeable thinking back to it. How weak was the whole 'Oh Bolg, go and kill the Dwarf scum pleeeease' scene... It felt forced like a last minute change.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 pm

So first they hastily cgi Azog over the original prosthetic version in AUJ, and now they have hastily painted over cgi Azog with a cgi Bolg in DOS who himself is a hasty replaced cgi of the prosthetic Bolg?

Way to show you haven't a fucking clue what your doing PJ and are just making this crap up off the top of your head as you go.

Does at least go someway to explaining the embarrassing state of the end product.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Shame he couldn't CGI paste over Orlando Bloom with a CGI tree, both are wooden.  Razz 

Snap.

I am genuinely under the impression he less a of a grasp of the basic story then LOTR, which he admitted he only read once before getting hold of the rights.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm

They might as well have had one character and named him Bolzog.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Well thats at least getting closer to what I think every time he appears on screen, "Oh, bollocks!"  Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Azog the Defiler=BollocksZog the Gapfiller?

Or something like that.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Ass-ballz-hog the Interchangeable.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Nod 

Petty are you making notes?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 pm

malickfan wrote:I am genuinely under the impression he less a of a grasp of the basic story then LOTR, which he admitted he only read once before getting hold of the rights.

Well he's never claimed to have read The Hobbit before he started working on the films ... not sure if he's claimed to read it since either. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:33 pm

I enjoyed your review MusicOTA, your understated humour dripped sarkytude.  Thumbs Up 

ooooh! I just remembered that bit you mentioned, Thorin standing on Smaugs muzzle failing to get fried. That was the moment I got up and left, it was like sitting in a dentists waiting room with only the Readers Digest to pass the dragging time. I could virtually hear the weeeee weeee weeee of the drill.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 pm

malickfan wrote:Petty think of it as a slapstick comedy and you will enjoy it more.

2 things I think even you MIGHT think was an improvement was them establishing the importance of The Arkenstone early on (I am familiar with the Whole 'Was the Akenstone a Silmaril?' argument but I still think it comes out of knowhere in the book

Yes I agree with the whole taking it as a comedy angle because it is indeed very funny/ silly / ridiculous.

As far as establishing the importance of the Arkenstoner early on...

I think that also changes the story in ways that will only lead to more trouble down the road.
In Dos the precious and very important value of the  Arkenstone was made clear to Bilbo multiple times.  Thorin talks in detail multiple times about its importance and value to the Dwarf kingdoms  good lord the dragon, Beorn I believe even mentions it...if not Azog or Blog ,I sort of remember, or is it Bolgazog.
Every one seems to be all in Thorins business like it was printed in the Middle earth gazette...so now when Bilbo decides to withhold it from him and pass it off in Movie 3 he will be portrayed as a complete and premeditated traitor and scum bag who would deny the whole dwarf race the talisman that gives them their voodoo power.

I know in the book he also chooses to withhold it and give it away as an attempt to force Thorin to be reasonable, but I believe that before he found the arkenstone he was not really told much about it other than, it was the most amazing creation of his people and something that Thorin really wanted. But Bilbo was wanting it and considering it his payment for services rendered. Nothing about it being the Keystone to unite all the dwarf kingdoms was mentioned which would make his keeping it a much much more serious act in my view.

As far as a debate about the Arkenstone being a silmaril that is baseless. I believe Thorin himself states in the book that it is the heart of the mountain implying that the Dwarves mined it there. Besides the fate of all the silmarils is covered in other books and none survived to become the arkenstone. That argument must have been inspired by the "necklace of the dwarves" that used to hold a silmiril that Thingol had the Dwarves make I suspect. The silmirils were all accounted for and could not possibly have been the Arkenstone. Though of course similarities can be drawn between the two.

Last edited by Music of the Ainur on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Figg ...Why thank you very much for your kindness. And I yours as well. It is nice to see everyones thoughts again and feel a bit of disconnectedness to you all my fellow lovers of the JRR.

As far as the scene you mentioned... It was so very laughable indeed. the inept and harmless dragon only had to open his mouth wide to kill him, or even jump to the side and let him fall down the bottomless pit , or fire him. But poor old washed up efficient slayer of dwarves by the droves couldn't even manage to kill one of the invaders to his home... it is kind of sad really to see a proficient performer loose his touch as he gets too old... Wink
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 pm

It seems like Smaug has been defanged. I know Peej wanted to make the dwarves all heroic and all but, well...

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 Fuck-you-peter-jackson

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:25 pm

COME ON PETTY! get your skates on and go and watch it.  bounce
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm still brewing Figg, in all senses of the word.  Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 pm

In the shear overwhelming mass of foolish revisions pressing on my brain I have failed to mention the treatment of Beorn. In the book it was a nice break from the tensions preceding it.
It held a presentment and taste to come in FotR when we meet Bombadil sort of, with a similar goodness about it. His connections to his animals his gentle vegetarian sensibilities yet he was a shapeshifting shaman warrior leader of his kind against the Orcs.

His home was warm and full of hospitality and was a refuge from the wildness all around. His kindness basically saved our friends who stumbled to him hungry without supplies with orcs on their heels. Let me contrast that with DoS...

Here we find some sort of Huge Manbearpig creature which chases our friends as they get near his house, growling and apparently quite T'd off. Our friends go barging in after building tension by apparently forgetting how to lift a latch and open a door. Then they can't get the door quite closed as the perhaps 2000 lb. Manbearpig crashes into the door at a full run.
But to no avail as there are a couple of 120lb. dwarves there to force his face back out side of the house. His house, like he wouldn't know how to get inside if he wanted to.

So while he is completely p'd off about the dwarfs he hates just taking over his home and the animals he loves and locking him out of the house...he decides to run off into the woods again I guess to spend the night?

And how about Gandalfs suggestion immediately after getting into Beorns place? Well I think we better get some sleep now... or something like that. Good lord man how could anyone be expected to fall asleep after all the excitement right before hand?

Once again the only things I like about a PJackson film is the set and the look of it, the costumes are always good in my opinion,
The actors for the most part do an incredible job really with the horse crap they are handed in my opinion. You got to think that they all have read the book many times probably and are familiar with it at the least and probably like it too.
Then they are handed the arghedyblaugh bla they are supposed to say and portray... It is miraculous that they just wouldn't start laughing or crying and have a look in their eyes saying- "forgive me please , it is not what I would have chosen to say or do"

The lighting and camera angles are very good, The CGI to me seems about as good as that sort of thing can be in the present state of the art but I am no authority on that. That is of course way over used and is a source of the crappy overall tone of the films at times.

You know before any of these films came out that is what I expected the number one problem preventing the LOTR from working as a film would be the special effects.That it would look cheesy and fake. Quite the contrary as it turns out, it isn't the settings or creatures or bizarre magical situations or events that proved the biggest difficulty at all, for as a rule all these were mastered very well.

As it turns out the main stumbling block was the decision makers incredibly poor judgement in deciding to stray so far from the amazing characters and dialog and the basic spirit of the books and their choices to substitute these given birds in the hand with weak, talentless, dribble that is nearly infinitely less good.    Shrugging :facepalm:

Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:45 pm

what really gets my (talking) goat, is all the lazy cheesy LOTR rip offs. They were deperate to link everything to the point of ludicrous overkill, or they seriously thought it would be kewl or they just ran dry in the art department. I dunno.  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh crap, is this the Beorn from the movie???

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 17 El-hobbit-beorn_grande

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Radaghast wrote:Oh crap, is this the Beorn from the movie???

Don't worry, his human form is only on screen for like two minutes. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Okay, but that shouldn't be shown on the SyFy channel for any amount of time Razz Mad

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next