Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:07 pm

we have Smaugs farts. hot and wet.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: Holidays and absences [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Done nothing but rain here since about, last Autumn. Worst summer I can remember, only difference so far between the winter we just had, which was grey, wet and cold, and the summer we are having, which is grey, wet and a bit warmer, is the temperature (which has only managed to break 20 on one single day so far. Mad )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:We're getting some lovely rain here now. I really wish I could bring it back with me to California when I leave on Wednesday.
Out there it's like Smaug's breath: hot and dry, but with occasional rolls of fog when it comes in contact with the ocean.

Get ready for a hot weekend, Forest! sunny

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Ah.. Um.. This is slightly embarrassing.. I seem to have gone off for the summer without getting around to writing anything. Embarassed

I did intend to. I just ended up leaving in a bit of a rush, (a headlong rush out the door to reach a bus to go see my brother perform at a jazz festival) and have been at my cabin without proper internet since. (The drive from the festival to here was really beautiful though. And it's been really nice here too, although a bit cold. Might post some pictures.. eventually.) Organized myself a bit now, so might be around a bit from now on. Smile

So, anyway, what have I missed? bounce

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:27 pm

So, anyway, what have I missed?- Blue

Dunno, but its definitely your round. Nod drunken {{Welcome back Blue- hope you had a good time even if it was jazz!}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Well, you know what they say "Good enough for jazz!" Razz

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:33 am

Off to Melbourne for a week.

Watching City v Roma Tuesday and City v Real Madrid on Friday.
Great city Melbourne, good place to visit.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:41 pm

It certainly is a good place to visit Chris if its got both those games on the same week. Nice one! Have a great time and bring us back some pictures.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 pm

I figure this is a good thread to post this in.

I was supposed to be in France by now, to present at a conference tomorrow. But when I arrived at the airport yesterday, I was told my passport with 1.5 months left before expiration was not fit for entry into France, which required 3 months until expiration.

I had never heard of such a thing! I would think with a 1 week round trip ticket and 6 weeks to go I'd be fine. I'm not sure exactly what my anguished face conveyed to the poor ticket agent - likely looked like I was about to explode like a cornered space alien into green goo - but eventually mastered myself and set about damage control.

I owe my life to a man in a private passport processing agency who didn't have time to get my passport processed overnight, but took pity on me and explained exactly what their process was. So tomorrow morning I'll show up at 7 AM at the passport office, with documentation of my woes and an anxious face to beg for super expedition. There's a charge for expediting a passport renewal, but no promise on just how expedited it is. If I can get it the same day, I can still make half the conference.

It all comes down to sweet talk and a good case. I may start baking cookies.

And awarning to the rest of you: some countries require as much as 6 months left on your passport - make no assumptions!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Oh poor you Halfy ! Crying or Very sad nothing like shock to bring you round. for the life of me I dont understand why some country's have to be so picky ? you pay enough out on a passport to have it only last 5mins anyway & then they set bloody obstacles on top ! Thanks for the tip tho, hard way to find out . Hope its all plain sailing for you after this ? Enjoy what you can of France...........if you get there ?

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:23 pm

If I get there. Nod

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh for the good old days when these sorts of problems could go away by slipping somebody a few bucks at the border.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Thats bad luck Halfy- just the sort of trivial annoyance that can ruin the best laid plans and induce a crabbit rage- be nice to the passport folk, right up till they screw it up tomorrow- then let them have the fullness of your righteous crabbit set free! Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Best of luck, Halfwise. Nod

Toulouse? I'm kind of jealous. Certainly will be.. if you get there.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:So, anyway, what have I missed?- Blue

Dunno, but its definitely your round. Nod drunken {{Welcome back Blue- hope you had a good time even if it was jazz!}}

bungobaggins wrote:Well, you know what they say "Good enough for jazz!" Razz

Hey, there's nothing wrong with jazz.. except jazz there is something wrong with. There is jazz you enjoy, and jazz you don't enjoy. And probably for completely separate reasons than it being jazz. It's not really a definition.. more a collective term. Nod

Petty; I'll get you an island single malt.. when I get back. Wink

About that.. I might have been a bit premature in announcing my return. I've been going online with my phone, but I'm having some issues with it so might not be around so much after all for the next little while. But, anyway, it was fun to come by for a summer visit. I'll try to pop my head in when I can, and hopefully I'll by back in not too long. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with jazz.. except jazz there is something wrong with. There is jazz you enjoy, and jazz you don't enjoy. And probably for completely separate reasons than it being jazz. It's not really a definition.. more a collective term.

Well put. Nod And I've found strong disagreement between the type of jazz different folks like - a whole universe of difference between the soulful New Orleans style jazz ( Thumbs Up ) and the so called "cool Jazz" of Miles Davis ( Rolling Eyes ). And you can't convince the other side that their stuff is dreck.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Miles Davis was much more than "cool jazz."

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 pm

moral of the story. don't go to France. Mad  idjits. I hope you get it sorted in time Halfy, that sucks bit time. No btw, its bloody hot as hell in this part of Europe so take some short shorts and a hat. its the hottest July in 70 years. Mad I cant take much more of this sweaty 40 degree heat so I am thinking of going home for a bit next week. get some rain.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:No btw, its bloody hot as hell in this part of Europe so take some short shorts and a hat.

A hat makes sense, but I'm struggling to imagine Halfy in short shorts. Shocked

{{I'm still not convinced he has legs under all that hair Suspect }}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Miles Davis was much more than "cool jazz."

My animosity of Miles stems not just from his vapid 'cool' phase, or his airy tone that lacks all technique. He transcribed an entire movement of Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez note-for-note and called it Pictures of Spain, without giving one letter of credit to the original composer. All the Miles-heads no doubt thought that song was pure Miles genius. Flippin' poser. I suspect there's much else he's claimed credit for that he doesn't deserve.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Rodrigo's concerto is featured on Sketches of Spain, and I don't think Evan's arrangement is entirely verbatim. Regardless they would have to pay Rodrigo for the rights to arrange it. Sure it's not a very impressive venture, but his work in Kind of Blue (modal jazz) and Bitches Brew (fusion, funk, rock) is great.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:09 pm

Those are classic albums, but to my ear they feel a bit too composed for the excitement that is the raison d'etre of jazz. Just my taste, he's not for me.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 pm

I should add that I really like the Aranjuez section of Sketches of Spain, and looking around I see that both Gil Evans and Miles Davis freely discussed it, I'm just hacked off the album never listed the sources.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:06 am

halfwise wrote:I figure this is a good thread to post this in.

I was supposed to be in France by now, to present at a conference tomorrow.  But when I arrived at the airport yesterday, I was told my passport with 1.5 months left before expiration was not fit for entry into France, which required 3 months until expiration.

I had never heard of such a thing!  I would think with a 1 week round trip ticket and 6 weeks to go I'd be fine.  I'm not sure exactly what my anguished face conveyed to the poor ticket agent - likely looked like I was about to explode like a cornered space alien into green goo - but eventually mastered myself and set about damage control.

I owe my life to a man in a private passport processing agency who didn't have time to get my passport processed overnight, but took pity on me and explained exactly what their process was.  So tomorrow morning I'll show up at 7 AM at the passport office, with documentation of my woes and an anxious face to beg for super expedition.  There's a charge for expediting a passport renewal, but no promise on just how expedited it is.  If I can get it the same day, I can still make half the conference.

It all comes down to sweet talk and a good case.  I may start baking cookies.

And awarning to the rest of you: some countries require as much as 6 months left on your passport - make no assumptions!

That sucks, halfy. I think the US require that your passport is valid at least 6 months after your planned return date, almost made that blunder myself. Hope it works out for you!

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:58 pm

Got my passport! cheers

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:11 pm

Well done ! good luck ! cheers sunny

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Holidays and absences [2] - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next