Sinister71
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Norc
29 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 30 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Tinuviel Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Hahahahahhahahaha! What lids? How can a dwarf fight with a lid on his barrel?

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 30 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 30 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 pm

well apart from the colour being more saturated in 48 I couldnt see much difference, so much for the great new technical revolution.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Youtube converts everything to 24 fps, so there is no difference in the video apart from the saturation (which was probably done by the person who uploaded it anyway). To see any difference you'd have to download the original file. But even then it would be an artificial 48 fps because the source video (24 fps) would have to be converted by the up-loader with some video editing software.

I didn't see AUJ in 48 fps, so I don't know what that looks like naturally on the big screen. And the jury's out on whether or not I'll see DOS. Not sure I want to risk the double headache (1 from PJ, 1 from 3D HFR).

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm

I cant watch 3D it gives me a nosebleed. and in this country nobody was showing 48fps, but I beleive it was very like CNN news, very video-like, but I prefer film any day.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Great post Chris its just too bad what we'll get on screen wont be anything close to this but yet Jackson is only adapting the Hobbit isn't he? Evil or Very Mad 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm

A very good passage. Smile 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 am

I was curious about DragonCon and found this:

DragonCon is almost upon us!
August 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm by greendragon  -
-------
TORn will also be presenting two panels at DragonCon: on Saturday, 5.30pm in the Hyatt International South will be The Hobbit: One book, three movies; and on Sunday, 1pm in the Hyatt Centennial 1 we’ll be Previewing The Desolation of Smaug!

What exactly do they mean, "Previewing The Desolation of Smaug"? Surely not what it sounds like? Shocked 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 am

Well now I'm curious too, so I checked out the DragonCon schedule of events (PDF) and found the event's full description.

Previewing The Desolation of Smaug
TheOneRing.net delivers a very un-official preview of the second Hobbit film, The Desolation of Smaug. greendragon; Sun 1:00 pm; Cent. I [H]
Given that it's a convention panel, my guess is that it will be a bunch of people from TORn talking about what they expect to see in DOS based on what we know so far, and probably showing images and video clips that have been released or leaked. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:55 am

That sounds about right. Rolling Eyes 
Thanks! Very Happy
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:04 am

Haha, no problem. Very Happy It would be awesome if they did the premiere at a convention but I think that might overwhelm the event space. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Eldorion wrote:Well now I'm curious too, so I checked out the DragonCon schedule of events (PDF) and found the event's full description.

Previewing The Desolation of Smaug
TheOneRing.net delivers a very un-official preview of the second Hobbit film, The Desolation of Smaug. greendragon; Sun 1:00 pm; Cent. I [H]
Given that it's a convention panel, my guess is that it will be a bunch of people from TORn talking about what they expect to see in DOS based on what we know so far, and probably showing images and video clips that have been released or leaked. Smile
Dragon con is the largest convention of its type on the east coast.I normally go every year but had some issues this year and couldn't go. I highly recommend anyone into comics, D&D, superheros, horror, its all there great experience. I actually met RA Salvatore there last year and had my 1988 (beat up and read probably 1000 times) 1rst edition of his Crystal Shard personalized and autographed by him. Now the cover(which Salvatore himself actually accidentally tore off) is in a 8x10 frame with the front page. which looks great on the wall by my swords and my Tolkien book shelf
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 pm

David H wrote:That sounds about right. Rolling Eyes 
Thanks! Very Happy
It is they did it last year and half their speculations were wrong Twisted Evil 
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 am

Plot Points Full of Potential Spoilers for ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ Revealed
09-03-13 • Film Posted by Sarah Moran

While it may seem silly putting out a spoiler warning for a movie based on a book that’s 76 years old, here it is. The plot points revealed in a movie tie-in book for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (via TheOneRing.net) do contain potentially spoiler-y material for the movie. Haven’t read the book? Don’t read on. Want to remain unspoiled about what new developments Peter Jackson and co. added in? Don’t read on. Basically, to avoid SPOILERS, don’t read on!

Okay, so here we are, ready to delve into these key plot points revealed in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Annual 2014.

At Beorn’s hall by Mirkwood

- The company is chased to Beorn’s house by Beorn himself (Beorn doesn’t like dwarves, but when he discovers they’re running from Azog he helps them instead).

- ‘Beorn is the last shape-shifter in the whole of Middle-earth. Most of his kind were killed by Azog, so when Beorn finds out that The Company are fleeing from Azog, he agrees to help them.’

- Beorn tells Gandalf that the rumours of ‘a great evil’ in Dol Guldur are true, which is what makes Gandalf decide to go there himself and leave Thorin & Company to face Mirkwood alone.

At the Halls of the Elven-king

- Thranduil has ordered that his elves are not to leave the forest, and they’re not to have anything to do with any other race (especially the dwarves).

- When Thorin & co are captured, Thranduil guesses they’re going to the Lonely Mountain and will release the dwarves to go on their way, for a promise of a cut of the gold. But Thorin refuses, so he imprisons them.

- Legolas isn’t as set in his ways as his Dad.

- Tauriel is at odds with Thranduil and doesn’t understand, or agree with, his segregation. She’s ‘very headstrong’ and ‘doesn’t always follow orders’.

- Tauriel is ‘quite unlike other Elves’ and it’s hinted that she quite likes the dwarves (or is, at least, intrigued by them).

- The wood elves give chase through the forest when the dwarves escape in barrels, but don’t follow them out of the forest.

- Except for Tauriel, who does follow then to Lake-town (defying Thranduil) and Legolas who decides to follow Tauriel (because he’s ‘very protective of her’).

- Bilbo may get separated at some point in the escape.

Some events at Laketown

- Bard discovers the dwarves as they wash up in their barrels (because he’s a ‘great hunter and often spends his time in the hills around the river leading from Mirkwood into the Long Lake’), and eventually decides to trust them and take them to Lake-town.

- Bard has three children: Bain, Sigrid and Tilda (which explains the ‘injured girl’ in the piece above and is possibly part of his motivation for helping the dwarves?)

Developments at Dol Guldur

- Gandalf may do some of the following in Dol Guldur: unlock a gate; see things that aren’t really there/things appear other than they are; cast a spell making it look like there’s more than one of him; cast a protection spell; have to work out where to walk as there are trick stones that lead to traps.

- Lastly, there’s a suggestion that Smaug is also looking for the Arkenstone.

I didn’t read these too closely because if I can avoid any major spoilers, I will. Even though I know what happens in The Hobbit, it’s been years since I’ve read it and plenty of its details escape me. Not to mention whatever extra filling Jackson has included.

What do you think of these plot points? Is this second part of The Hobbit trilogy following along the trajectory you expected?

Source: Geek Tyrant

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 am

Sinister71 wrote:Dragon con is the largest convention of its type on the east coast.I normally go every year but had  some issues this year and couldn't go. I highly recommend anyone into comics, D&D, superheros, horror,  its all there great experience. I actually met RA Salvatore there last year and had my 1988 (beat up and read probably 1000 times) 1rst edition of his Crystal Shard personalized and autographed by him. Now the cover(which Salvatore himself actually accidentally tore off) is in a 8x10 frame with the front page. which looks great on the wall by my swords and my Tolkien book shelf
Does Dragon Con still focus strongly on the fantasy aspect or is it more of an all-genre, all-medium inclusive convention like the San Diego Comic-Con has become?  I ask because the only convention I've ever been to is Otakon, which is the largest anime convention on the East Coast and is still focused mostly on anime and Japanese pop culture in general.  I've toyed around with the idea of trying to go to New York Comic-Con or Dragon Con for the broader experience if I get the opportunity, though. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:37 pm

''Source: Geek Tyrant''

this worried me more than all the made up fanboy rubbish, is this Pettys evil twin???? Shocked pale Mordred to our Merlin???
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Didn't think of that. Well spotted young lady Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Suspect Some sort of long lost relative?- I doubt it- they are not crabbit at all in that piece and almost every line of it contains stuff that should make any true Tyrant explode. Twisted Evil And not one mention of buckie. Evil or Very Mad 
Im favouring some sort of imposter out to blacken the Tyrant family name- its probably a Banks in disguise Evil or Very Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Nod  its Odo bent on Revenge
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Would explain where he has been this year-but if he thinks he can get round returning our family coal scutttle with this sort of stunt he is very mistaken! Evil or Very Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:Dragon con is the largest convention of its type on the east coast.I normally go every year but had  some issues this year and couldn't go. I highly recommend anyone into comics, D&D, superheros, horror,  its all there great experience. I actually met RA Salvatore there last year and had my 1988 (beat up and read probably 1000 times) 1rst edition of his Crystal Shard personalized and autographed by him. Now the cover(which Salvatore himself actually accidentally tore off) is in a 8x10 frame with the front page. which looks great on the wall by my swords and my Tolkien book shelf
Does Dragon Con still focus strongly on the fantasy aspect or is it more of an all-genre, all-medium inclusive convention like the San Diego Comic-Con has become?  I ask because the only convention I've ever been to is Otakon, which is the largest anime convention on the East Coast and is still focused mostly on anime and Japanese pop culture in general.  I've toyed around with the idea of trying to go to New York Comic-Con or Dragon Con for the broader experience if I get the opportunity, though. Smile
Dragon-con is just like Comic-con just on a smaller scale (at least for now it grows every year) They have tons of speakers and events for a ton of genres which is great because my wife is into the paranormal stuff and I'm into the fantasy stuff but we meet up for things like meeting Alice Cooper, meeting authors we like in common, Dragon con has bands and music events, there is so much to do and see even being there 5 days (we usually get there the Thursday before while things are setting up to preregister) we don't ever get to see everything we want to... Its a great experience I highly recommend it.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

How did this not every line in this create a full broad-spectrum crabbit explosion among our merry band? Have we become so defeated by the first film that nothing can get a rise out of us any more? Alack-a-day! Crying or Very sad 

chris63 wrote:Plot Points Full of Potential Spoilers for ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’ Revealed
09-03-13 • Film Posted by Sarah Moran

Okay, so here we are, ready to delve into these key plot points revealed in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Annual 2014.

At Beorn’s hall by Mirkwood

- The company is chased to Beorn’s house by Beorn himself (Beorn doesn’t like dwarves, but when he discovers they’re running from Azog he helps them instead).

- ‘Beorn is the last shape-shifter in the whole of Middle-earth. Most of his kind were killed by Azog, so when Beorn finds out that The Company are fleeing from Azog, he agrees to help them.’

- Beorn tells Gandalf that the rumours of ‘a great evil’ in Dol Guldur are true, which is what makes Gandalf decide to go there himself and leave Thorin & Company to face Mirkwood alone.

At the Halls of the Elven-king

- Thranduil has ordered that his elves are not to leave the forest, and they’re not to have anything to do with any other race (especially the dwarves).

- When Thorin & co are captured, Thranduil guesses they’re going to the Lonely Mountain and will release the dwarves to go on their way, for a promise of a cut of the gold. But Thorin refuses, so he imprisons them.

- Legolas isn’t as set in his ways as his Dad.

- Tauriel is at odds with Thranduil and doesn’t understand, or agree with, his segregation. She’s ‘very headstrong’ and ‘doesn’t always follow orders’.

- Tauriel is ‘quite unlike other Elves’ and it’s hinted that she quite likes the dwarves (or is, at least, intrigued by them).

- The wood elves give chase through the forest when the dwarves escape in barrels, but don’t follow them out of the forest.

- Except for Tauriel, who does follow then to Lake-town (defying Thranduil) and Legolas who decides to follow Tauriel (because he’s ‘very protective of her’).

- Bilbo may get separated at some point in the escape.

Some events at Laketown

- Bard discovers the dwarves as they wash up in their barrels (because he’s a ‘great hunter and often spends his time in the hills around the river leading from Mirkwood into the Long Lake’), and eventually decides to trust them and take them to Lake-town.

- Bard has three children: Bain, Sigrid and Tilda (which explains the ‘injured girl’ in the piece above and is possibly part of his motivation for helping the dwarves?)

Developments at Dol Guldur

- Gandalf may do some of the following in Dol Guldur: unlock a gate; see things that aren’t really there/things appear other than they are; cast a spell making it look like there’s more than one of him; cast a protection spell; have to work out where to walk as there are trick stones that lead to traps.

- Lastly, there’s a suggestion that Smaug is also looking for the Arkenstone.

I didn’t read these too closely because if I can avoid any major spoilers, I will. Even though I know what happens in The Hobbit, it’s been years since I’ve read it and plenty of its details escape me. Not to mention whatever extra filling Jackson has included.

What do you think of these plot points? Is this second part of The Hobbit trilogy following along the trajectory you expected?

Source: Geek Tyrant

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I think we have gone past the land of Crabbit and are cooling our heels in Despondencyvillearizona.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 pm

I think people have just given up caring about Jackson's fan-fiction filled cliche fantasy films hidden under the guise of the Hobbit. Something which it is not. Maybe snippets of it are, but the majority is pure made up OTT nonsense that I personally wouldn't piss on if I seen the masters on fire... Films to which I think the masses here and many other Hobbit forums included have just had enough of and have given up on but they have NOT given up on Tolkien or the Hobbit in general, its just a matter of waiting till someone else other than Peter Jackson takes a swing at making the Hobbit hopefully like it should have been made to begin with. Smile 

If that makes any sense... from what I have seen looks like the negativity at TORn has gotten even worse since my departure... Well at least I know it ain't just me hating what Jackson has done Shocked Pokey Tongue Shocked
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 pm

TORN has turned against PJ??!!

I for one am not going out for fear of being hit by pigshit falling from the airborne herds.
Sofa 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 pm

How did this not every line in this create a full broad-spectrum crabbit explosion among our merry band?- Halfy

I did say each and every line of it was worthy of crabbit. Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next