Sinister71
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Norc
29 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm

The third film comes out in only like 16 months.  I don't think 3D is going to disappear that quickly.  It's already come down from the heights of "best thing to happen to cinema since color" but I think it's fortunes have leveled off for the time being. Even if they start to decline again, I don't think things will get so bad in less than a year and a half that studios refuse to release 3D versions of movies that were shot in the format.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Kafria Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 pm

If I remember rightly, you saw both 3D and 2D. Does it make a huge difference? I have yet to see anything in 3D. I don't really see the attraction.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

The third film comes out in only like 16 months.- Eldo

That's the thing with a fad though- they disappear as quickly they appeared and people just don't want them anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised to see in a break down of figures between 2d and 3d viewing of the next two films a big continuation of the trend in that BBC article.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Kafria wrote:If I remember rightly, you saw both 3D and 2D. Does it make a huge difference? I have yet to see anything in 3D. I don't really see the attraction.
Not sure if this was directed at me or Petty, but I ended up seeing The Hobbit in 2D both times. I wanted to see it in 3D 48fps the second time but my brother wasn't interested in the extra hour of driving time or $10-15 of ticket charges (and I can't blame him Razz). I did see Avatar, the supposed masterpiece of modern 3D, in both formats though and to be honest the 3D didn't really do anything for me except make the picture dimmer and darker, which are side effects of the technology and the glasses. I've seen a few other films in 3D over the years when the 2D showings have been sold out and the fuzziness factor is a consistent problem. That and the uncomfortable glasses and the headaches.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That's the thing with a fad though- they disappear as quickly they appeared and people just don't want them anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised to see in a break down of figures between 2d and 3d viewing of the next two films a big continuation of the trend in that BBC article.
I'm not sure how much of a trend Planes represents. Most blockbusters fall within the 40-60% range for 3D sales. This is nearly four years after Avatar came out.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 pm

I was wondering the other day what exactly PJ was doing with pick-ups, and I had the small hope that possibly he was filming them in 24 fps, which I soon realized was impossible. But if he did, then he would just have to convert it to 48 fps, right? Instead of doing it the other way around? Because you'd think PJ would take a hint and realize his groundbreaking technology was only truly groundbreaking to himself, and therefore try and change things during pick-ups?
What exactly do we think he's doing right now anyway?

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Filming a lot of extra scenes for the second and especially third films, I believe. I'm pretty sure they added a bunch of stuff surrounding the Battle of the Five Armies, presumably to make the third film long enough to stand on its own.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 pm

presumably to make the third film long enough to stand on its own.- Eldo

Thats the most depressing sentence in Forumshire. Sad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 am

Thats the most depressing sentence in Forumshire. Petty.
No, PJ Making the Silmarillion is ! Twisted Evil
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm

lalalalalala I can't hear you

Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Found this on the Hobbit Movie news website, and I don't know if it's been posted before, but this video makes the 48 look much better than the 24

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

well the colours are more prominent, that's the only thing i can see. to be honest i find the 24 fps more relaxing to the eye to watch, yes the woods is less green, but the bag end scenes are less red and yeah.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Mmmm, I think the 48 looks better in some scenes but, Im not sure it does in all of them ? I was freeze framing to get a clear view, I agree most work better in 48. I wish I could have seen it in 3D, just to see the comparison & see what all the fuss was about ! Wink 

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 pm

the woods and sky looks better, but the bag end scenes look way to red and they're faces, no. i think 24 fps is just more calm for the eye to watch.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm surely not going to watch the next film in 3D because the only English cinema I can reach within a couple of hours shows the film with subtitles Extremely Crabbit 
And it's very annoying seeing those subtitles jump from one side to another at the bottom of the screen whenever they have to get out of the way of a spear for example, which is supposed to look like it is putting your eye out Banghead

Although: Mirkwood in 3D.....
that would be worth to travel even farther to another cinema Wink

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:27 pm

? where are u? but yeah, subs are annoying, especially in 3D. 

i wish they'de drop subs on 3D movies i absolutely hate it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Norc wrote:? where are u? but yeah, subs are annoying, especially in 3D. 
let's simply say countryside....
it takes me 3 hours to reach the nearest English cinema... and that's the one with the subs Banghead

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 pm

3 hours- then another 3 watching PJ's abomination- then 3 to go home- thats 9 hours of your life you wont get back! Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Found this on the Hobbit Movie news website, and I don't know if it's been posted before, but this video makes the 48 look much better than the 24
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that comparison video because YouTube automatically converts everything to its standard frame rate (24 or 30 fps).  The "24 fps" sample in that video is probably hacked down to more like 12 fps in order to make it look different in a side-by-side comparison.  The linked Google Play file might contain the proper frame rates but I didn't download it to find out.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

yeah, true, but the colours are still there Wink

poor you Semiramis. is there foreign cinemas nearer you ? Trollface the german dub is actually kinda good.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Nope, the next foreign cinema is even farther away.
Ah, but never mind me, I simply always have to make a fuss about how much I hate film dubbing Extremely Crabbit 

Petty - as I'm always going by train I spend most of these three hours either sleeping, reading or watching series Wink So - definitely no waste of time!

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 Empty Probably something deliberate to make 48fps look better

Post by Sinister71 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:46 am

Tinuviel wrote:

Found this on the Hobbit Movie news website, and I don't know if it's been posted before, but this video makes the 48 look much better than the 24
Honestly to me it looks like the merely brightened the supposed 48fps version slightly and left the other kind of grey. Personally I wouldn't put it past someone at WB to deliberately do that so that people honestly believe 48fps looks better and is the next big thing. Personally I found the 24 fps to be just fine when I watched it. The material wasn't any better but it looked like a film to me. I think Jackson wasted way too much money on this new great technology that is going to "revolutionize modern cinema", what a load of crap!!!! IMO of course...

The only thing Jackson has done with the Hobbit IMO is waste money on new technology, including a bunch of made up crap that has nothing to do with the Hobbit story, and twisted Tolkien's quaint tale into some bastardized version that only highlight how good the LOTR films were made in comparison.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 am

Um...yes.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:11 am

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] - Page 29 1078582_398546136924094_616687884_o

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next