Kafria
Ringdrotten
26 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Harry Potter - Page 21 Empty oops

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26812277

JK Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is to be made into a film trilogy.

The book, published in 2001, was originally billed as one of Harry Potter's Hogwarts textbooks.

Warner Bros chief Kevin Tsujihara persuaded author Rowling to adapt the book for the big screen.

Last week, he told the New York Times there would be a trilogy of films based on the book, which follows a "magizoologist" named Newt Scamander.

Scamander is the author of a guide to magical creatures. Set in New York, the book is neither a sequel nor a prequel, but an "extension" of Harry Potter's "wizarding world", Rowling said.

Last month, Rowling told actress Emma Watson, who played Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, that she completed the draft script in 12 days.

Rowling herself told the newspaper that it was Tsujihara - who took over the role of CEO at Warner Bros last year - who persuaded her to adapt the book.

Uh ... huh.

Not sure how I feel about this.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter - Page 21 Empty Re: Harry Potter

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 am

You've got to be fooking kidding me! :facepalm:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:18 am

Who knew Warner Bros. was this desperate to keep the cash cow going? Shrugging

I mean, it's not like I was expecting great things from this project to begin with, but I doubt that stretching it into three films is going to be a good thing. {{{If they really want more, they should just make a Quidditch Through The Ages movie. Rolling Eyes Razz}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:19 am

Also, I wonder if the script that JKR wrote in 12 days is for all three films, or if it was supposed to be just one film and was later expanded. Neither scenario inspires a ton of confidence.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:25 am

Eldorion wrote:Who knew Warner Bros. was this desperate to keep the cash cow going? Shrugging

I mean, it's not like I was expecting great things from this project to begin with, but I doubt that stretching it into three films is going to be a good thing.  {{{If they really want more, they should just make a Quidditch Through The Ages movie. Rolling EyesRazz}}}

Well, they're hard up for franchises. I posted that handy info-graphic a few months back that shows which studios have which franchises. WB is having trouble getting their DC universe off the ground while Marvel has been soaring for years. They gotta exhaust their options.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter movies, but I have no interest in seeing this.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:28 am

Yeah, you're right about the franchises. I'll probably see it out of a sense of obligation, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low.  It seems like such a silly move; the HP spin-off books were fun when I was a kid but they don't have a ton of value outside filling in blanks for hardcore fans.  This whole project feels surreal to me.

Honestly though, the main reason I'm following it is because I'm trying to figure out what sort of bizarre Tolkien spin-offs WB might try to churn out in the next decade if this is successful. No
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:30 am

Oh, Jesus. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. Razz

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:38 am

Well, we do know that the appendices are such a rich and deep source of material. I'm sure they'll be able to come up with something. Rolling Eyes Maybe an entire movie on the dwarven alphabet!  Laughing 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:40 am

a new magic-movie? i am okay with that.
12 days? hmm... we'll see how good the script is.
not an extension? at least it is an extension??

a quidditch movie, i would watch that.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:05 am

Didn't JKR tell the story of dreaming up the whole HP story arc in one day while she was stuck on a train? In that context, 12 days seems like plenty of time for 3 movies! Very Happy 

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:17 am

true..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah, I saw that. It seems a bit much. Particularily when one considers the triologies people make out of properly good basic stories these days. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Rowling has a knack for great characters so maybe the films will be fun. I sometimes think a new Harry Potter book would be the most anticipated book of the millenium, I wonder if she realizes this? that millions of people would Love a new HP book, a prequel or sequel there would be a stampede to the shops.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes. Though I always saw a prequel about his father and his friends as the most fruitfull possibility if she was going to do another story. Shrugging 

One probably shouldn't judge this thing before it comes out, though it sounds a bit of a strange idea. Maybe she can even get her wish of Terry Gilliam directing this time around.  Razz 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Yes. Though I always saw a prequel about his father and his friends as the most fruitfull possibility if she was going to do another story. Shrugging 

I certainly wouldn't mind that. It seems like a more interesting setting than Harry's kids, if the Epilogue is anything to go by. But if I recall correctly, Rowling's response to questions about a James/Sirius/Lily-centric series was "that's what you get for watching too much Star Wars" or something to that effect. Laughing

One probably shouldn't judge this thing before it comes out, though it sounds a bit of a strange idea. Maybe she can even get her wish of Terry Gilliam directing this time around.  Razz 

I guess I worry because it feels like a cash grab, particularly since the studio exec came up with the idea in the first place. Of course, I'll withhold judgement until I see it, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Though they'd probably rise anyway if Terry Gilliam was attached to the project. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Rowling has a knack for great characters so maybe the films will be fun. I sometimes think a new Harry Potter book would be the most anticipated book of the millenium, I wonder if she realizes this? that millions of people would Love a new HP book, a prequel or sequel there would be a stampede to the shops.

Part of me really hopes she'll change her mind and write another one. But part of me wonders if it'd be impossible to capture the magic by revisiting the series years or decades later. Although I don't think it'd make (as) much of a difference for kids who read both the originals and sequels/prequels at the same time.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 pm

I think more stories about Lily/James/Snape/Sirius would be fantastic maybe go into more detail about Nevilles parents or Luna's. Well anything would be fantastic really. I know Rowling is resisting going back to Hogwarts and she certainly doesnt need the cash, so I dont know what would convince her to write another. its bloody frustrating though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: I know Rowling is resisting going back to Hogwarts and she certainly doesnt need the cash, so I dont know what would convince her to write another.

The most powerful persuasion I can think of would be grandkids.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:52 pm

That's an interesting point, Dave. IIRC, Rowling's children were growing up while she wrote the books. Maybe there's still hope for a return to Hogwarts. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:00 pm

I hope that never happens. When I finished the seventh book I felt empty inside and couldn't believe it was over. I would've given a lot for more books then. Now I fear what will happen if she starts expanding the story - what if what happens to so many TV shows and film franchises happened to the HP books as well? Rowling could probably write another great book set in the HP universe, but it would be such a huge disappointment if the book didn't meet expectations (which would, of course, be sky-high). I don't think I can handle any more "LotR was great, then came TH" disappointments pale

Harry Potter - Page 21 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 pm

I don't think that years-later returns to series like this have a very good track record, no, but if it does suck it wouldn't ruin the original for me, I've dealt with plenty of disappointments like that before, including TH, and if anything it only serves to make me appreciate the original more. Which is not to say that I'll be excited for new spin-offs, as I think knowing when to stop is important, but it doesn't really have a downside for me as a consumer. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I'll probably be just as excited - I just don't really want it to happen Very Happy I'll be thrilled for any great, or even just enjoyable, HP spin-off. And like you say, nothing will change the originals. It's not like Rowling can go back and edit in Hayden Christensen waving to Harry's kid or anything Laughing

Harry Potter - Page 21 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Not to drag George RR Martin into every conversation, but he did actually have something interesting to say about this. In response to a question of wether he would consider writing any prequel books for his Ice and fire series based on Roberts rebellion he answered he wasn't really considering that as he felt he had told so much of that story already indirectly through the books.

Maybe JK Rowling feels the same about writing something about Harrys parents and so on. That she would to a large degree be repeating things she already has written in the original series.  Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:One probably shouldn't judge this thing before it comes out, though it sounds a bit of a strange idea. Maybe she can even get her wish of Terry Gilliam directing this time around.  Razz 

I guess I worry because it feels like a cash grab, particularly since the studio exec came up with the idea in the first place.  Of course, I'll withhold judgement until I see it, but I don't want to get my hopes up.  Though they'd probably rise anyway if Terry Gilliam was attached to the project. Razz

It's less than a rumour at the moment. (As it's only based on her wanting him for the original series.) Unless we have started one, that is.  Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Maybe JK Rowling feels the same about writing something about Harrys parents and so on. That she would to a large degree be repeating things she already has written in the original series.  Shrugging 

That's a good point. Although I've heard good things about GRRM's Dunk and Egg prequel novellas. Though those sound more like Fantastic Beasts in that they occur decades before ASOIAF and have an almost entirely different cast of characters.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next