Eldorion
Kafria
Ringdrotten
26 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Harry Potter - Page 40 Empty Re: Harry Potter

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:36 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:I've heard nothing about the story, so I would say it has for me.

It's certainly resulted in more comments on here. Razz

Quoting for new page:

Eldorion wrote:Haven't read any reviews but plot summaries are appearing online. Spoilers, obviously:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/10/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:30 am

I've had Harry Potter on the mind this week and one of the things I do when that mood strikes me is listen to the soundtracks. It's been a while since I've watched some of the films but three tracks stand out in my memory.

The famous Hedwig's Theme:

Lily's Theme from the final film (probably the best thing about DH2):

And my (current) personal favorite, A Window to the Past from the third film (John Williams da gawd):

An honorable mention for diegetic music goes to Nick Cave's O Children from the controversial tent scene in DH1 (which I personally loved):

I'm sure I've posted most if not all of these before, possibly in this very thread in years past, but such is the nature of my HP fandom. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 pm

I haven't watched any of the films in years but the music was certainly a stand out point.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Thumbs Up

I like both Williams' and Desplat's work in pretty much all of their films that I've seen. I remember relatively little about the music from the HP films they didn't score (other than "Harry in Winter" from GOF since that gets brought up a lot). I kinda want to watch all the films in sequence again, which I've only done once before (in 2011 right before DH2 came out) but I dunno if that's gonna happen. Might just try to find the complete soundtracks and play them in the background instead.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:31 pm

I really liked DH 1+2 and Azkaban, but I didn't like the other films that much, the first two were too faithful and blandly directed i.m.o, whilst the rest were unevenly paced and took too many liberties with the plot...I've often thought a graphic novel adaptation would be more interesting...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:56 pm

I don't necessarily think the first two films pop as much as some of the later ones, though the last time I saw Philosopher's Stone (which was, admittedly, over five years ago) it had so many classic moments (first view of Diagon Alley, first view of Hogwarts, the flying scenes) that I was willing to overlook a lot. Chamber of Secrets was kinda rough though. Loved Azkaban and the first Deathly Hallows as you say, though I thought DH2 was too compressed (ironic complaint, I know) especially with its treatment of the adult characters.

A graphic novel adaptation would definitely be interesting. That'd probably offer a lot more leeway for variance in length. I've never understood why they made Order of the Phoenix, the longest book, into the shortest movie (bar DH2). I'm not saying they should've tried to include everything but it's not like they had to worry about an audience that might be averse to lengthy stories.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Eldorion wrote:

The famous Hedwig's Theme:

I never knew that was Hedwig's theme! Shocked I just thought of it as the flat-out Harry Potter theme.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 pm

It's played over the opening logos in most of the films IIRC, so it's essentially the overall series theme too.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 am

Eldorion wrote:I don't necessarily think the first two films pop as much as some of the later ones, though the last time I saw Philosopher's Stone (which was, admittedly, over five years ago) it had so many classic moments (first view of Diagon Alley, first view of Hogwarts, the flying scenes) that I was willing to overlook a lot.

I rewatched it tonight with my mom (who has always shared a lot of my HP fandom with me) and I was less willing to overlook things than I was five years ago. Still an enjoyable film but I might skip COS this time. Apparently the only one my mom is really curious to see again is DH1.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Maybe I should watch the later films again for comparison, but I've never understood the criticism of the first film. I think it did an excellent job of capturing the feeling of the book.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:00 pm

Eldorion wrote:An honorable mention for diegetic music goes to Nick Cave's O Children from the controversial tent scene in DH1 (which I personally loved):

That's a great song. Harry Potter, or not. Nod

Not really sure why that scene should be devisive though. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:02 pm

The films to me always suffered from how they adapted (particularly the later) books. Too much was left out, leaving only a surface level impression of the written story. (I even find some of the movies close to unwatcable because of this effect. (Half Blood Prince, perhaps?))

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm

halfwise wrote:Maybe I should watch the later films again for comparison, but I've never understood the criticism of the first film.  I think it did an excellent job of capturing the feeling of the book.

I think I get what you mean. I don't want to speak too strongly before rewatching at least the third, but visually it just feels kinda ... flat and uninspired. I might just be spoiled by LOTR though; Fellowship came out only a month later but obviously very few films were competing at that level, especially in terms of SFX. Story-wise I agree it's very faithful but at times it kinda feels like they're just going down a checklist. I mean, the film is still coherent and easy to follow along, but a lot of the meaning of certain scenes and characters is lost along the way IMO. The effect of the film, for me, is largely limited to jogging my memory of corresponding parts of the book rather than standing on its own.

Bluebottle wrote:That's a great song. Harry Potter, or not. Nod

Not really sure why that scene should be devisive though. Razz

Agreed on the song. Nod

I think the controversy was mainly because a lot of people interpreted it as the films endorsing the Harry/Hermione ship. HP was even worse than ATLA when it came to shipping wars. I thought the season worked really well without reading romantic implications into it, though I can also understand why people saw those.

Bluebottle wrote:The films to me always suffered from how they adapted (particularly the later) books. Too much was left out, leaving only a surface level impression of the written story. (I even find some of the movies close to unwatcable because of this effect. (Half Blood Prince, perhaps?))

I remember Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix being really bad in this respect, but it's been a long time. I thought HBP had enough time but just made weird choices in how to allocate it. The emphasis on the romance, coupled with the timing of the film's release relative to the Twilight phenomenon, made me wonder at the time if it was a deliberate response by the producers. Razz Although I eventually came around slightly on HBP after discussing it with GB on here.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:24 pm

True, and it is kind of a shame. Because, I rather like the feel of at least a couple of the movies, I would like to watch and enjoy them, but I just don't feel the stories stand up to scrutiny. (The shallow nature mentioned prevously.) A very shabby job of adaptation indeed.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:43 pm

the first 3 are my favourites. they capture the magic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:06 am

Lovely tracks Eldo. 

I agree about "Window to the Past". It's not as dark as "Lily's Theme", not as epic-film-sounding.

-------

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1368

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40