Amarië
Pettytyrant101
Kafria
19 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sherlock - BBC - Page 8 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC

Post by Norc Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! BANDERSNATCH CUMMERBUND !!!! XD omg .. lol!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Thought that might tickle you Norc. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat May 12, 2012 6:36 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

And there I was, thinking of making him a Veggie Tales character by the name Eggs Benedict Cucumberpatch

Sherlock - BBC - Page 8 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 14, 2012 2:02 am

Oooo .... Sherlock baskerville is starting, slipping on my granny diapers so i won't have to run and pee.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 14, 2012 3:17 am

I hope you enjoy it, Halfwise! Very Happy Baskerville is probably my favorite of the actual mystery episodes (as opposed to the more action/adventure-oriented ones), right up there with A Study in Pink from season one. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 am

Unfortunately someone seems to think you can do chemical analysis with an optical microscope. And that government lab security systems would let you use 'maggie' as a password. Kinda knocked me out of the suspension of willing disbelief. Oh well, the first couple of missteps I've seen so far.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 am

halfwise wrote:Unfortunately someone seems to think you can do chemical analysis with an optical microscope. And that government lab security systems would let you use 'maggie' as a password. Kinda knocked me out of the suspension of willing disbelief. Oh well, the first couple of missteps I've seen so far.

shhhh.. don't tell'em! ignore it!
Sherlock - BBC - Page 8 Tumblr_lyzm8uidFJ1r681r3
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm

oooh I need some granny pants for when I go to see The Hobbit, do they do them in brown?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Baskerville is my least favourite Sherlock ep I have to say. I always thought it was going to be one of the hardest to succesfully set in the modern day and so it proved- it just seems a bit more clumsy than the other eps.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm

I havent yet seen the episode but I imagine Baskerville is better set in the Victorian age, then you can go to town with the misty moors, and weird yokals, mind you they are still weird
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I just watched "Baskerville". When they got to the bit about genetically engineering giant bunnies I instantly thought of Radegast and cringed. pale
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah, I thought the whole modernizing attempt failed in this case - too far left field, more Dr Who than Sherlock.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Its a Mark Gatiss penned episode- who is a great ideas man and wonderfully inventive in a macabre sort of way, but tends to fall short for me when it comes to writting the actual scripts- I feel the same way about his Doctor Who episodes too.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 14, 2012 6:44 pm

LALALA not listening!
I'll tell you what's bad though, the pilot-epsiode! forced lines, bad acting (I know D: couldn't believe it either, but there you go) and a very easy plot (although it was only 60 minutes).
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm dying!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm

That's, uh ... yeah. BTW, if you're interested in weird versions of Sherlock Holmes story, then tune into CBS this fall for their new drama Elementary.

The Hollywood Reporter

Elementary

A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, the drama centers on the famed detective (Jonny Lee Miller), who is now living in New York City. Watson will be played by Lucy Liu, who is joined by Aidan Quinn in the hourlong project that hails from writer, executive producer and showrunner Rob Doherty. CBS heavyweights Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly (Unforgettable, A Gifted Man) are attached as producers with EP Michael Cuesta having directed the CBS TV Studios pilot.

Jonny Lee Miller recently starred opposite Benedict Cumberbatch in a stage version of Frankenstein. Both actors have now portrayed Holmes. Lucy Liu is perhaps best known for portraying O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill and will play "Joan" Watson in Elementary. Character descriptions follow:

Deadline

The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD.

This show was compared unfavorably to Sherlock from the moment it was announced that CBS ordered the pilot episode. Steven Moffat has appeared unamused but Jonny Lee Miller claims that "You obviously look at it and say, 'Wait a second ... ' - but I feel there's enough differences there. I thought I could do something with it; otherwise, there'd be no point."

Some who have read the script seem to agree that it's sufficiently different that it can't be called a rip-off -- not least of all because Watson is now a woman and the show takes place in New York City. However, the reviews are not exactly glowing, and the one I linked to is just a single example.

I've mentioned this show a couple of times since the first news of it was leaked, and I'm no more optimistic about it now than I was a few months ago. Aside from appearing to be a bald-faced attempt to cash in on Sherlock's popularity, it's being produced for CBS. My confidence in American network TV is pretty low. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 pm

I was poking around Wikipedia for more information and found this interesting article from The Independent:

Sue Vertue, Sherlock Executive Producer at Hartswood Films, said: "We understand that CBS are doing their own version of an updated Sherlock Holmes. It's interesting, as they approached us a while back about remaking our show. At the time, they made great assurances about their integrity, so we have to assume that their modernised Sherlock Holmes doesn't resemble ours in any way, as that would be extremely worrying." She added: "We are very proud of our show and like any proud parent, will protect the interest and wellbeing of our offspring."

independent.co.uk

Just in case anyone had any doubt that this is a Sherlock-inspired cash-grab. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I know Moffat quipped he and his lawyers would be watching the show very carefully indeed.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 pm

why do they always do crappy copy cat shows, The Office, Life on Mars, Prime Suspect and now Sherlock. Mad Whats the point when the original is brilliant?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 14, 2012 11:21 pm

You ever see the US version of Red Dwarf? Dear Eru! :facepalm:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 pm

oh please tell me they didnt! :facepalm:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 am

I'm very much afraid they did Mad

The scripts not hugely diffeent its all in the performances. The Lister is to dull and not gross enough. Rimmer isn't a patch on how annoying the original is. Jane Leeves makes a poor Holly and the Cat is rubbish.
Unbelieveably they did it again with a few cast changes and it was even worse!

Heres the original UK episode for comparison.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue May 15, 2012 6:40 am

Eldorion wrote:That's, uh ... yeah. BTW, if you're interested in weird versions of Sherlock Holmes story, then tune into CBS this fall for their new drama Elementary.

The Hollywood Reporter

Elementary

A modern take on the cases of Sherlock Holmes, the drama centers on the famed detective (Jonny Lee Miller), who is now living in New York City. Watson will be played by Lucy Liu, who is joined by Aidan Quinn in the hourlong project that hails from writer, executive producer and showrunner Rob Doherty. CBS heavyweights Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly (Unforgettable, A Gifted Man) are attached as producers with EP Michael Cuesta having directed the CBS TV Studios pilot.

Jonny Lee Miller recently starred opposite Benedict Cumberbatch in a stage version of Frankenstein. Both actors have now portrayed Holmes. Lucy Liu is perhaps best known for portraying O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill and will play "Joan" Watson in Elementary. Character descriptions follow:

Deadline

The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD.

This show was compared unfavorably to Sherlock from the moment it was announced that CBS ordered the pilot episode. Steven Moffat has appeared unamused but Jonny Lee Miller claims that "You obviously look at it and say, 'Wait a second ... ' - but I feel there's enough differences there. I thought I could do something with it; otherwise, there'd be no point."

Some who have read the script seem to agree that it's sufficiently different that it can't be called a rip-off -- not least of all because Watson is now a woman and the show takes place in New York City. However, the reviews are not exactly glowing, and the one I linked to is just a single example.

I've mentioned this show a couple of times since the first news of it was leaked, and I'm no more optimistic about it now than I was a few months ago. Aside from appearing to be a bald-faced attempt to cash in on Sherlock's popularity, it's being produced for CBS. My confidence in American network TV is pretty low. Razz

I'm gonna avoid it like the plague! Maybe I'll watch it so I can rant about it. But to me this seems like the CBS have very little original ideas and wanted to feed of the Sherlock Holmes-craziness! The only american Sherlock Holmes adaption that I have a bit of respect for is "house". (and if no one has linked this before... just think!)

and yes, they should watch it with their lawyers ready. But I have a feeling it won't be as well filmed and so on, cinematorskgngs. you know. as the bbc Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 am

Norc wrote:The only american Sherlock Holmes adaption that I have a bit of respect for is "house". (and if no one has linked this before... just think!)

I know! I have been trying to find a image I saw one day, I wish I had saved it. It was a post-it note from Sherlock to Mrs. Hudson saying
Spoiler:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I think you can sort of get away with that better than making a rubbish adaption of the original. It gives enough freedom to flesh out the premise in a way suitable to the particular show.
And lets face it US tv has a history of this- Murder She Wrote was just Agatha Christie's Miss Marple set in modern day America with a name change.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next