chris63
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
azriel
Bluebottle
19 posters

Page 12 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 30  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4]

Post by Eldorion Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am

Eldorion wrote:
halfwise wrote:I think if you throw a little 'u' in with an 'a', Brits somehow manage to hear an 'r'.  Clueless. No   Tolkien spelled it right at least; you wouldn't catch him throwing an 'r' in just to mess with a vowal sound.  He rightfully put a 'u' in there.  And you pronounce it, and it's NOT AN R.

My takeaway from this is that we should start writing the dragon's name as "Smag" to remove ambiguity. Nod

Or we can turn the u upside down it and make it Smang.

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4]

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 pm

I liked that.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 pm

azriel wrote:Uhuh Nod
Praps the one way to shut people up about how you pronounce this or that is to have Tolkien himself say it. As of in an interview,

I've been searching. My recording of him only has Riddles in the Dark and a bunch of poems from Lord of the Rings. Can't find an interview where he's talking about the Hobbit, so no Smaug.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 am

You say potato i say tom ar to. Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am

If that's a definitive example of the Brit-style 'ar', then we Americans would spell it

"tomae-to, tomah-to". Not a whiff of r in there to our ears.

How would you spell "tomar-to" so that we could hear an r when you say it? Can we even make that happen I wonder?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am

tomarrr <<"(look too many rs to ignore!")- to ? ??

Then sometimes it sneaks in what linguists call 'overcompensation':" I sawr it yesterday, good enough film I'd be willing to see it again."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 am

Not mine, but taken from another forum.

haul.

taut.

nautical.

fraud.

want me to go on?

it's 'Smorg' definitely*.

(*how i pronounced it in my head when i read the book when i was 9)

fyi: mount everest should be pronounced 'eve-rest', not 'ever-rest' - bu it sounds wrong so it is wrong, i don't care how right it is, it's wrong.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 am

I'm afraid an American wouldn't understand your point.  I don't understand your point.  If you'd actually pronounce the 'r' (which you seem not to) you'd realize "Smorg" can't possibly be correct.  'taut' and 'haul' are pronounced slightly different, 'haul' fits 'Smaug' pretty nearly.

to us, you Brit types say 'heart' and 'hot' almost the same way. If there was a word 'hod' you'd be hard pressed to make it sound different from 'hard'. In fact taken out of context, we wouldn't hear the difference in both of those because you don't pronounce the 'r'.  We can hear slight differences as you pronounce them, but we put it down as a complete and utter failure to properly enunciate an 'r' that follows a vowel. To us it's a speech impediment we are gracious enough to forgive in foreigners. We'd read it SmoRRRRg.  But then again, you'd probably read 'RRRg' as 'ehg' so have no idea what I'm talking about. Rolling Eyes

"August" = "Argust" (NOT!) Banghead

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 am

To be clear, I've got nothing against you lot flippantly ignoring 'r' as written, but to insist it should be forcibly wedged into a word when you have no intention of pronouncing it in the first place....I call that vandalism. Evil or Very Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Sofa

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 UJpDi Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Laughing Laughing We say va'r'se (vase, a receptacle for flowers ) & there isn't an R in that. We have hod carrier ( brick layer ) ? And there's Caught & Court, its all arse about face here Smile Does it help if half our words are foreign to begin with ? Old English died out long ago & we have many interlopers Smile

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 pm

azriel wrote:Laughing Laughing   We say  va'r'se (vase, a receptacle for flowers ) & there isn't an R in that.  

No, you bloody well don't say 'varse'.  What you say is 'vahse'.  You may think you're saying varse but it's completely in your head.  Any Yankee can set you straight on that so long as they're not from Maine or Boston.  No doubt you lot think you're saying 'Borston' even when you are clearly saying Boston. Rolling Eyes

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Laughing Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 am

I love the way Americans say aluminum.

Aloominum i think they say.

All good fun thou. Being a northerner from Yorkshire i cant say my vocabs perfect.
Shire where the Hobbits live is ok, but when i say York-shire. I actually say Yorksher.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 am

Well, at least when the Brit-influenced say 'aluminium' they throw in an extra vowel that they pronounce. For some god-forsaken reason we took that final 'i' out, and it took the music out of stressing the third syllable, so we put the music back in by stressing the second syllable instead.

Nothing wrong with 'Yorksher', but are you pronouncing either of the 'r's? I think you're probably saying 'Yohksheh'. I don't complain when you don't pronounce an 'r' that's there; it's when you stuff one in and insist you pronounce it but don't that gets me riled up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 am

'taut' and 'haul' are pronounced slightly different, 'haul' fits 'Smaug' pretty nearly.

Suspect You guys are all nuts. Forget about English and try this way:

Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am

Clear as mud Smile Smile Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

so those crazy extra vowels are just ways to say sounds we use just don't spell as unambiguously.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 am

Our vowles make sense. *nods* Except for words where when o is å, and e is æ. But those are exceptions, obviously. Wink

And for the rest of the sounds we have diphthongs.

Sadly - I must say 'sadly' as it basically ends the discussion - while I was looking for youtube videos of Norwegian diphthongs, I came upon a very obvious thing that made it all pointless: The 'au' in Smaug: ouch. Couch. Sofa So... there we have it. Shrugging

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 am

I'm happy with it. very close to Eldo's (and half the time mine) pronounciation of Smowoog.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Wink Really ? There goes the bubbling pot of indecision again Smile Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:22 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 am

I don't remember seeing this?

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [4] - Page 12 001

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 30  Next