Elthir
RA
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
25 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by azriel Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

*gulp* Ditto Tin Sad  Bloody sentimental tosh ! (Had to bite my lip also,*sniff, sniff*)
Add my points to the old score board. Neutral

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Strangely enough it just annoys me- its deliberately manipulative and that just makes me crabbit. Evil or Very Mad
Its also masking the fact TH films are a steaming pile of shite.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Yes, Petty, The Hobbit IS the biggest steaming pile of SHAT Ive ever had the displeasure to endure watching, no doubt about it, but the soooooong, he sings so nicely, have you no heart ?
Ok yeah, its manipulative, it suckers you in, you start to feel something for the film, the characters all because your sobbing your eyes out,.......... but the soooooong Petty ! It was bad enough when Annie Lennox did "Into the west", gawd did I blub at that !

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:30 pm

this is blatant LOTR nostalgia. It reminds us of Billy singing in ROTK and thats why its moving and sad. They use a ton of LOTR visuals, Its got precious little to do with TH. Its very clever of them but its pretty obvious.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:32 pm

have you no heart ? - Azriel

Of course I do. I keep it at the bottom of an old bucket, somewhere scratch

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Laughing
And this is the very reason Ive been taken for a dipstick all my life, I need to toughen up & not be led astray by men with silver toned voices playing acoustic guitar ! TIN, are you listening to this ? Save yourself NOW, before its to late ! Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

& not be led astray by men with silver toned voices playing acoustic guitar ! - Azriel

Then you are perfectly safe with me Azriel. I have a singing voice like someone gargling gravel and I cant play guitar!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Razz Laughing There's obviously nothing like grappling with rough hairy tweed then ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Strangely enough it just annoys me- its deliberately manipulative and that just makes me crabbit.  Evil or Very Mad  

I'd have to mostly agree with you here, although Billy Boyd has a very good singing voice, and in some ways the lyrics/vocals were rather touching in a hobbity simple way (I'm actually quite glad they have gone for a 'softer' song and resisted the attempt to out epic LOTR), the video just seemed to be a self congratulatory tear machine, playing heavily on nostalgia and edited like many fan videos I've seen on youtube. The crappy CGI and design of Azog stuck out like a sore thumb in even that very brief clip, the lyrics were repeitive and manipulative (though I guess they sum up this trilogy rather well-full of fan service, callbacks to LOTR and obvious 'empathize with me now!' moments) and my abiding feeling was  Neutral I was neither in tears nore bored, which to me is much more upsetting than the films coming to an end.

Admittedly I'm heavily biased, and Jackson has arguably  earned the right to be as indulgent as he wants I suppose (he makes alot of money and alot of people very happy, so I guess I can't be too annoyed with him...or can I?) but, considering I was introduced to Tolkien via the LOTR films, and grew up as teenager before first reading the books in 2007...I would have hoped a song entitled 'The Last Goodbye' would have upset me more, as a sendoff to a large part of my childhood.

I guess I will have to wait until December to see If I feel any different, I never even bothered listening to the songs for the first two Hobbit films (yet I still have a soft spot for 'The Greatest Adventure' from the cartoon...)

*It's going to look rather funny in retrospect when Warner Bros announce a 'Middle Earth shared Universe' of spin off movies...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 pm

I will always treasure LOTR. this Hobbit malarky is just fading fast from my memory, it doesnt really figure into my botheredness.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 pm

It's going to look rather funny in retrospect when Warner Bros announce a 'Middle Earth shared Universe' of spin off movies...

WAT !!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:this is blatant LOTR nostalgia. It reminds us of Billy singing in ROTK and thats why its moving and sad. They use a ton of LOTR visuals, Its got precious little to do with TH. Its very clever of them but its pretty obvious.

Exactly. I won't lie. The song has grown on me, and I appreciate the sentiment in the video. But it just makes me more bummed out that The Hobbit is so shitty.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 am

Yeah, I'm glad they called him back for the song. But the warm nostalgic feeling we all want deserves a better movie.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:20 am

I like the song. I like how it paraphrases parts of "Roads Go Ever Ever On" from The Hobbit. Having exact lyrics of "Roads" would have been nice, but it would have been too easy, plus it's already been set to music for the animated Hobbit. I also think it's clever at the end "I bid you all a very fond farewell." Which is what Bilbo says at his birthday party in FOTR.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:15 pm

yes the song itself is great. I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 pm

I know it's manipulative, which I have to say is the correct way to market the steaming pile of crap that will probably be the movie. They know the Hobbit can't hold a candle to LOTR, so they're trying to share its light. And so all of us who like the LOTR films will feel immediately drawn to a song referring to the good old days aka THOSE FILMS which are fantastic in comparison to the Hobbit films.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Is it time for a sing-song?!

Raise your buckie and all together now-

'Ohhhhh, a wizards staff has a knob on the end,
a knob on the end, a knob on the end,
Ohhhhh, a wizards staff has a knob on the end,
best not meddle or twist it!'
This came up in my DnD session yesterday. Otherwise I would have no idea what you're talking about Petty!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Strangely enough it just annoys me- its deliberately manipulative and that just makes me crabbit.  Evil or Very Mad  
Its also masking the fact TH films are a steaming pile of shite.
Well, actually, what you object to is that it's being deliberately manipulative in a dishonest way. This kind of video works fairly well (in your case Petty) to amazingly well (for most other people) because it reminds them of all the things they liked in the LOTR films. The emotional substance of the LOTR trilogy backs up this music video like the background instruments back up Billy Boyd's voice and his guitar.
By including shots of the Hobbit trilogy in this video, however, they are assuming, or implying, that the same emotional substance exists in the Hobbit trilogy when, actually, no meaningful substance can be found in this second trilogy.
There is no reason, at all, whatsoever, that I shouldn't feel a strong emotional response to good acting from a beautiful actress like Evangeline Lilly when it's backed by music like this. So, really, this music video is like a glimpse of what the Hobbit films could have felt like to me if they were good, and not bad.
I didn't hate that the writers added in Tauriel, and Legolas, and whomever. I just hated that there were so few beautiful parts in the movie, and that the morally ugly parts, and the stupid parts, were so pervasive.

P.S.
For example, one of the parts in DOS that I actually liked (for a moment) was when Tauriel was talking about "going up" and out into the open world and seeing the beauty of the stars. This was the type of beauty that Tolkien wrote of, I think.
If only the action would have been exciting, the drama meaningful, the comedy well-timed and placed (more of that Bombur-running moment from DoS, except without Bombur probably), and the beauty apt and meaningful, then the Hobbit films would have been excellent.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:This was the type of beauty that Tolkien wrote of, I think.
If only the action would have been exciting, the drama meaningful, the comedy well-timed and placed (more of that Bombur-running moment from DoS, except without Bombur probably), and the beauty apt and meaningful, then the Hobbit films would have been excellent.

Yes. And some good old fashion charm would have been nice, too.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 am

Tinuviel wrote:I know it's manipulative, which I have to say is the correct way to market the steaming pile of crap that will probably be the movie. They know the Hobbit can't hold a candle to LOTR, so they're trying to share its light. And so all of us who like the LOTR films will feel immediately drawn to a song referring to the good old days aka THOSE FILMS which are fantastic in comparison to the Hobbit films.

I agree that they're trying to tie The Hobbit closely to LOTR, but I'm not sure that their motivation is so cynical. It's seemed pretty clear that PJ and Co. have approached this project from the start with the intention of making a companion piece to LOTR. Regardless of how most of us on here feel that it turned out, the Billy Boyd ending song makes sense as a way to conclude the project and is consistent with numerous decisions that the filmmakers have made earlier in the process.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 am

That is an apt, and rather clinical, description of the matter.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 am

I didn't really want to try to reduce the song to whether or not it's logical, because I do like it and find it to be emotionally effective, but all the casual accusations that the song is exploitative kinda bothered me so I wanted to propose an alternative explanation.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:23 am

Your alternative explanation is sensible and true Eldo. But it doesn't change the natureof the song as being exploitative. The entire Hobbit trilogy is exploitative.
The song is just a particularly glaring cap stone on it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:21 pm

New tv spots collected together in one vid- but quality isnt great-

And screencaps-

Bolg, I assume leading the Dol Guldur host-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-12h59m21s41_zpse5347d0a

Bilbo in Dale-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-12h59m35s196_zps2ece7ed2

Galadriel using Nenya-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h00m19s126_zpsd8b707eb

Thorin hanging over a high place! Mad

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h00m31s233_zps9fd8f782

Bard and his stupid cart-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h00m41s80_zpsc0c8864e

The bats, rather big bats-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h00m54s192_zpsa29dd2ff

Orcs pouring out of caverns, somewhere-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h01m02s41_zps32916fed

Charging dwarves , well what passes for dwarves in these films at any rate-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h01m19s220_zps617527ff

PJ subtly highlighting Nenya Rolling Eyes

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h01m38s152_zps29fb8804

Galadriel moving in to snog an unconscious Gandalf will the Nine look on-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h01m44s204_zps64bb9596

Bard, a moose, Thranduil and his army of idenikit cgi elves, what are they clone batched?-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h01m55s55_zps73baca48

Hey its the Witchking and mace from RotK, oh no its just Bolg and another pathetic callback-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h02m21s64_zps67e05666

Your guess is as good as mine-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h09m13s74_zpse28d0e61

Tauriel fighting Bolg (I think)-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h09m43s133_zps25827066

Dain-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h11m25s104_zps2adc411f

and his ridiculously large hammer-

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Vlcsnap-2014-11-24-13h11m31s182_zps2338c4e4

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 728-computer-reaction-face-knife-stab-self-eye

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 21 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next