halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lancebloke
18 posters

Page 36 of 44 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40 ... 44  Next

Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [2]

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:22 pm

halfwise wrote:If you read the whole interview with Ellison carefully, you'll find that he emphatically is not saying the internet is bad, just that he doesn't find it useful.  And the reason he doesn't find it useful is because the lack of a filter multiplies Doctorow's law: "90% of science fiction is crap...but then 90% of everything is crap."  

Note that was referring to published work.  The filterless internet would be closer to 99%, at which point Ellison has no time for it.  Of course he never took the time to find the better sites, but I don't think that means he's wrong.  You also have to remember he's got very high crabbit standards, so would have given up in a rant quicker than we do.

I agree that the lack of editors makes the percentage of crap higher, but upvoting, rating, and the like (as terrible as I think they are for discussions), provide a crowdsourced replacement for that filter.  Not that crowdsourcing was probably even a word when that interview took place, but recommendation threads on Usenet surely were.  I'll admit that I do find the insistence that his definition of crap is the only acceptable one to be pretty off-putting, though.  Not that I'd even necessarily disagree with his opinions about what is crap (I really don't know if I would or not), but the general chauvinism of it.  Reading for pleasure isn't a science, and while there are certainly standards that can be set up to measure, say, "literary merit", however imperfectly, that doesn't mean that you can't have other standards by which to measure the value of a work.  An author in a field as maligned as SF has historically been should really know better.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:35 pm

You could ask if you would have the 10 or 1% you rate if you didn't have all the "crap". But then it's a pretty wide questions as to regards what's in that 10 or 1%, as people rate different things. Quality, while often recognized isn't this easily identifiable standard. There's certainly a lot of things on the internet that I wouldn't think worthwhile, but then what in this life is worthwhile? I don't think there's a single answer to that.

I do feel he has some interesting points about for instance the effect technology has on writing. The easiness that computer writing bestows, leading to writers who aren't trained in brevity and the pains of telling a story in the right way. Does internet culture lead to an acceptance of mediocrity and a lack of care for the creative process? I don't know, but it's intriguing to think about.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I do feel he has some interesting points about for instance the effect technology has on writing. The easiness that computer writing bestows, leading to writers who aren't trained in brevity and the pains of telling a story in the right way. Does internet culture lead to an acceptance of mediocrity and a lack of care for the creative process? I don't know, but it's intriguing to think about.

I dunno man, Robert Jordan became popular before the Internet was really a thing outside of college campuses. Moon

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 pm

I thought you were demonstrating the compositional brevity made possible by the internet.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Internet discussion do seem to devolve either to the overlong or the singular emoticon. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:I do feel he has some interesting points about for instance the effect technology has on writing. The easiness that computer writing bestows, leading to writers who aren't trained in brevity and the pains of telling a story in the right way. Does internet culture lead to an acceptance of mediocrity and a lack of care for the creative process? I don't know, but it's intriguing to think about.

I dunno man, Robert Jordan became popular before the Internet was really a thing outside of college campuses. Moon

Spoiler:

I don't know. I think series like Robert Jordan's was kind of what he was getting at. Razz Anyway, the internet part of that argument was my paraphrasing, his point was to do with simply computers.

Well, also, one uses the level of technology that is appropriate. The main advantage of having a computer is to be able to go back and change stuff or to re-arrange your paragraphs, which is, from what I've heard, just not your style.

See, that also bothers me. When PCs first started being used by writers, I said "This is not a good idea". Using PCs for doing term papers, or scientific treatises, for lists, for stuff like that, it's fine, but NOT for creative work. Because all I've ever heard, and I've heard this from many many writers, now I'm no longer alone in this philosophy, in saying "Gardez Vous", you know, "Be careful" - what I've heard now is many writers saying yes, it has made them write in a more slovenly fashion. They are not nearly as alert to the fact that they're going to actually have to do the physical labor of changing something. All they know is that if they do it wrong, all they have to do is press a button.

What this means is that we have nothing but long, windy novels that are three times the length that they ought to be. We have trilogies and tetralogies that are idiotic, that are chewing the cud a million times over, and the only thing I've ever heard in aid of using a computer over a typewriter is it makes it easier. You know, "If I get ten pages into my story and I discover that that isn't where the story begins, that it should begin here, all that I have to do is hit the button and it'll just, you know, start me there."

And I think to myself, "You really shouldn't be a writer. You ought to be out on a hillside, planting trees, serving the common weal". Because a writer would KNOW that that wasn't where the story began. You wouldn't have to GO ten pages.

Making it easier, I think, is invidious. It is a really BAD thing. Art is not supposed to be easier! There are a lot of things in life that are supposed to be easier. Ridding the world of heart attacks, making the roads smoother, making old people more comfortable in the winter, but not Art. Art should always be tough. Art should demand something of you. Art should involve foot-pounds of energy being expended. It's not supposed to be easier, and those who want it easier should not be artists. They should be out selling public relations copy.

That's also one of the disadvantages of the Internet, then. It becomes remarkably easy for anybody in the world to become not only a writer, but a publisher, and a salesman...

That's right. When they say "Gee it's an information explosion!", no, it's not an explosion, it's a disgorgement of the bowels is what it is. Every idiotic thing that anybody could possibly write or say or think can get into the body politic now, where before things would have to have some merit to go through the publishing routine, now, ANYTHING.

And all you're getting is an explosion of useless crap, which added to the other useless crap that was being done originally, only makes it that much worse.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:16 pm

he seems to like the thought of people sweating blood and tears for their art, as if banging away on a typewriter is somehow more authentic than tapping away at a computer. Its quite a quaint old fashioned view, a bit like someones granddad saying pocket calculators turn your brain to mush. I imagine he has the mental discipline of really going hell for leather on some enormous Victorian typewriter, fingers bloody, gritting his teeth at the thought of all these metrosexual poofter tippy tappy back space merchants.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:21 pm

Yeah, it does seem a bit quaint. And for someone for whom this technology is a natural thing, it might not make much sense. It would be interesting to see whether he actually has a point with regards to a change in fiction writing. At least in the fantasy genre these very long series seem to have become a big thing, but is it like that with fiction in general? Is a lack of brevity a general trend in the fiction of today?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 pm

My book is quite short (and still unfinished).

I think it depends on the genre. Crime and action books tend to be short and punchy (e.g. James Patterson etc) but fantasy tends to be long and drawn out. I thought that was kind of the attraction for many people. It's hard to get lost in a crime thriller... not so much in epic fantasy or sci fi.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 pm

I think the reason fantasy tens to be longer, and I found this myself when I wrote my own fantasy novel, is that you have to introduce an entire invented setting.
A crime thriller is usually set in contemporary times and in contemporary settings- there is no world building as such, and that's a real time saver.
One of the things I found most difficult writing fantasy was just how you convey the necessary information about history, people, ect without it just being an information dump.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 am

I think that's very true Petty, although how one defines "necessary" information can be a point of contention with some of the really long series. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Tolkiens way of doing it is interesting I think- FotR has 2 chapers in particular that could be called info dumps- Shadows of the Past and the Council of Elrond.
In both cases its information which could technically have been given elsewhere but Tolkien tends to give these dumps only when the information not only has a dramatic effect on the reader, but n the characters too.
So with Shadows we get the background to Gollum ad the Ring coming to Frodo, its significance and is danger- enough to be getting on with and enough to put the danger in context for both reader and Frodo.
At the Council we get among othter things the history of the Ring, as well as accounts of the growing threat of the Enemy from elsewhere- again all creating the dramatic context in which the reader, and Frodo make the choice to take the Rings and go on with the journey
For Tolkien info dump has to go with dramatic revelation for reader and characters.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:19 pm

He did have his Concerning Hobbits prologue, which I think worked because it focussed on one thing, and that one thing was something readers at least had a nodding acquaintance with from The Hobbit.

He has single paragraph descriptions of Bree, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, and Orthanc just as the reader meets them, and they are superb. All other exposition is by dialogue, with enough back and forth to keep it interesting because it feels like a real conversation.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:01 pm

That is interestingly part of what this lecture deals with.

His claim being that Tolkien, using the Hobbits, who knows little of the world outside the Shire, as point of views turns the information dumps, the exposition into a learning experience. You are learning of the world with the protagonists, and only when it's natural for them to receive information through the general conversation. Tolkien has the backstory, it's in his other books and the appendicies, but what's presented in the story is mostly what naturally comes up as part of the narrative.

It should also be said that as fantasy series go LotRs is succinctness itself. It might even be a little short.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:22 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 WP_20150625_0011

So, I got myself physical copies of aDwDs and aFfCs, as I only had the audiobook and wanted to try and do the combined reread over the summer actually reading, but for some reason they felt the need to send me the show version of aFfCs. Mad

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:08 pm

That's weird; the tie-in cover version should have had a different ISBN. Did you ask for a specific edition of AFFC? If so you can probably send it back as an exchange.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:17 pm

It should also be said that as fantasy series go LotRs is succinctness itself. It might even be a little short.

That's because it's not a series. It was written as a single book. In a real series an instalment is published before the author has finished the next one.

By this definition the Foundation series, which beat out the LotR for winning the best science fiction/fantasy series of all time, perhaps should not be considered a series either. It was serialized by chapter first (bonafide series) but put together into book form later, with authorial additions.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Eldorion wrote:That's weird; the tie-in cover version should have had a different ISBN.  Did you ask for a specific edition of AFFC?  If so you can probably send it back as an exchange.

I bought it on amazon, I just checked and oddly that is the only version they are selling at the moment. Ah, well. It's not that big a deal. I might get the other one later to have them all in the same edition and give the other one away as a present or something. We'll see. Smile

You don't need a copy of aFfCs, do you? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:30 pm

halfwise wrote:

That's because it's not a series.  It was written as a single book.  In a real series an instalment is published before the author has finished the next one.

By this definition the Foundation series, which beat out the LotR for winning the best science fiction/fantasy series of all time, perhaps should not be considered a series either.  It was serialized by chapter first (bonafide series) but put together into book form later, with authorial additions.

There's something to that sure. Although I don't think it as clear cut. George for instance has said he knows where he is going and most of the largest plot points, while he allows himself, seeing himself as a gardener writer, to allow his creativity to do detours on the way. That is a bit the same process. Tolkien had to write the LotRs too, he didn't know the journey, while he might have known the end. What I'm getting at I guess is that it seems the goals of these series, these epic fantasy stories, to tell one, if long, story. With a beginning and an end. And while Tolkien could wrap it up in one, or three, or six, book, people seem to think they have to drag them out these days. I guess the claim in the original text I posted that started this discussion is that in most cases that is not a good thing. In most cases going the Tolkien route is better.

Original quote.

I'll put this simply. If J.R.R.-freakin'-Tolkien could wrap up the first, biggest, and best epic ever in three books, no one else has ANY excuse to do otherwise. I recognize that a lot of authors have a lot of their time and energy invested in their pet worlds, and I also recognize that books about those worlds are often in demand by their fans. I recognize that as a rationalization, not an excuse.

I don't really mind if the scope of your universe is big enough to fit a non-linear and widely variant body of work. Niven's Known Space, Heinlein's Future History, Fiest's Midkemia, these are all pretty large and well-populated universes with a wide range of possibilities. They are all places I don't mind coming back to and visiting from time to time with just enough continuity and familiarity to set the mood. It's these long-running series of books that are either purely or damn-near linear and use largely the same (ever expanding) character set that set me to sneering like Elvis.

Why? You get suckered in, you buy the first couple of books and they look good and you have no idea that the author is never going to stop, never, not even if he has a major stroke and has to type out the next four 700-page installments with his tongue. Meanwhile, you're waiting 6 to 18 months for the next book depending on how big a hack you've chosen and after a while you've forgotten why you gave a shit about any of the heroes or villians. Forget term limits for politicians, what about term limits for a series?
http://harlanellison.com/rants/rt980510.htm

Which tied in with Ellisons claim that stories were getting bloated.

What this means is that we have nothing but long, windy novels that are three times the length that they ought to be. We have trilogies and tetralogies that are idiotic, that are chewing the cud a million times over, and the only thing I've ever heard in aid of using a computer over a typewriter is it makes it easier. You know, "If I get ten pages into my story and I discover that that isn't where the story begins, that it should begin here, all that I have to do is hit the button and it'll just, you know, start me there."

And I think to myself, "You really shouldn't be a writer. You ought to be out on a hillside, planting trees, serving the common weal". Because a writer would KNOW that that wasn't where the story began. You wouldn't have to GO ten pages.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am

Can't help but love an overlong Quentyn Martell essay. He gets far too little love as it is.

http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/122811227754/prince-mud-some-thoughts-on-quentyn-martell

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:56 am

Not really sure which GOT thread to post in anymore, we have so many now Laughing I've finally watched S5 now (took me about two days Laughing ), and even though it's been a year or more since I finished book 5, I remember enough to see that the show is going its own way entirely. I've noted that a lot of people here are unhappy with that, and to some extent I am too. Mainly because I don't see any logic behind most of their changes, and if they're going to keep killing off everyone (let GRRM handle that Mad ), they're going to run out of plot and characters. That said, I still enjoy watching the show very much in spite of all the changes. I think a re-read is coming up, though, because I'm rather confused now scratch

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm glad you still enjoy the show, Ringo. I have some definite reservations about the most recent season, both as an adaptation and (moreso, actually) on its own merits. But I may feel less strongly if/when I watch the whole season in a binge instead of week to week.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:58 pm

If anything this has really piqued my interest in Martin's other stories.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Hm, that's actually pretty interesting. Although, I'm not sure I buy the whole.. "George RR Martin is a writer who likes a twist and to always do something different. Therefore.. he will do the exact same thing he did in an earlier book." thing. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Relayed comments from George from his appearance at Bubonicon.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo1_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo6_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo5_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo3_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo4_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 36 Tumblr_ntvaaqunjq1tbtttuo2_500
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/127936226047/joannalannister-kateofthecanals-some

Quite candid.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 44 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 40 ... 44  Next