Norc
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Interesting. I remember hearing BiB sampled in another rap song. Probably not legally used there either.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Um...that NAS stuff was exactly what I don't like about rap. Not the worst, but I just can't enjoy it.  Shrugging 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:30 pm

what about Cypress Hill? Its fun.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:37 pm

More varied delivery, but occasional long spates of tedious repetition.  I do like their stage presence. Doesn't seem to be riding the same ego trip that drives me crazy in other rap groups.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 am

halfwise wrote:Um...that NAS stuff was exactly what I don't like about rap.  Not the worst, but I just can't enjoy it.  Shrugging 

If you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's fine.  But I'm curious how you found it to be "mind-numbingly repetitive" or "donkey braying". Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 am

halfwise wrote:Other than the gangsta rap message issues, my artistic problems with rap are twofold:
1. Overly mind-numbingly repetitive
2. What I call the donkey braying effect: hammering the rhymes -
 da-dah da dah to HO
 di dah- di day di FOH
 si day di da di GO
  da dah di dah di DO.

"Oh look, they're rhyming, aren't those boys clever?"   Rolling Eyes 

I found the Grand Master Flash and Coolio songs much more enjoyable; a variation of rhythm and presentation.  So many rap songs (mainly the ones you here people chanting in braying monotone as they walk down the street) fall short in comparison.

I guess repetitive music doesn't bother me that much. I am a HUGE Philip Glass fan.  Cool 

Proof:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:22 am

bungobaggins wrote:I guess repetitive music doesn't bother me that much. I am a HUGE Philip Glass fan.  Cool 

Yeah, I don't think "repetitive" styles of music are by no means limited to any one genre.  Also, I can't say I'm familiar with Philip Glass, but that sounds very nice. Thumbs Up

Proof:

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 am

I really like his music, it's good for relaxing or rainy days. Or relaxing on rainy days. Nod

If you want to hear more, Eldo, I would suggest starting with Glassworks. Lots of different colors and variety in instrumentation.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:28 am

Eldorion wrote:
Spoiler:

My doppelganger.  Sofa 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 am

I should have gone to bed by now, but I'll be sure to give that a listen tomorrow after work. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:47 am

bungobaggins wrote:I really like his music, it's good for relaxing or rainy days. Or relaxing on rainy days. Nod

If you want to hear more, Eldo, I would suggest starting with Glassworks. Lots of different colors and variety in instrumentation.

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Brilliant! cheers

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:03 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I really like his music, it's good for relaxing or rainy days. Or relaxing on rainy days. Nod

I'm listening to it now and I definitely hear what you mean. Nod I don't often listen to this sort of music but I'm enjoying it (and trying to pick out what instruments are playing, which I doubt I'm figuring out correctly Razz).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:23 pm

"Glassworks" I enjoyed Bungo, & "Einstein" was strangely addictive !  Very Happy  Very Happy

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Glad you guys are liking it. His music, as with all minimalist composers, is deceptively difficult and it challenges a musician in ways that you wouldn't expect. You have to find new ways to be expressive, and experiment constantly. It also requires a tremendous amount of concentration and energy. But playing (and listening to) this kind of music is extremely rewarding.  Smile 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 am

I first became aware of Phillip Glass when somebody I was interested in at the time wanted to see Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance. It's probably not a movie I would have seen otherwise, but I was very impressed. Overwhelmed, but impressed. I've recommended it to people since then, but it's definitely not for everybody.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 am

Eldorion wrote:
halfwise wrote:Um...that NAS stuff was exactly what I don't like about rap.  Not the worst, but I just can't enjoy it.  Shrugging 

If you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's fine.  But I'm curious how you found it to be "mind-numbingly repetitive" or "donkey braying". Shrugging

This didn't have so much of the donkey braying effect (though some was there), but I didn't find the rhythmic variation to be outside the confines of normal speech.  There's so much that could be done with syncopation that would add an extra dimension here, but instead we have a largely unchanging background vamp and a delivery that is based on speech but doesn't do enough with it to justify the mutation into rap style.

Give these lyrics to William Shatner with the same background vamp, and you'd get something hugely entertaining because he brings expression to it.  Or give them to a jazz scat singer and tell him he's not allowed to sing them but can still scat, and you'd hear what I mean by rhythmic variation.  But you'd be much happier if you allow the scat player to sing.  So much an artist can do that this particular rap performance style prohibits.  I see no signs of talent.

Some of the rap examples posted here DO take it further, but the NAS performance is just boring.  To me it's a lazy performance, faxing it in.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 am

A good donkey braying can have equivalent artistry to a good jazz trumpet solo.

Take that how you will.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 am

Oh donkeys can have soul. When rappers bring in soul I like it. But much of the most popular rap is denuded of communication skills.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 am

halfwise wrote:So much an artist can do that this particular rap performance style prohibits.  I see no signs of talent.

"I don't like this style" = "No talent involved". Gotcha.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:58 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:59 am

and oh, I'm no big fan of Philip Glass for much the same reasons. But at least his stuff is usually relaxing to listen to...it can fade into the background, soothing banality. Rap is too often insistent banality.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 am

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you also look down on electronic music. Razz

Edit: I also notice that you ignored the part where I said that lyricism and wordplay is often what rappers are going for more than anything else.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:06 am

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' [2] SPOILERS - Page 14 Indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17 ... 21  Next