Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 pm

azriel wrote:That was really interesting Norc, I liked reading the way you put it. Its to easy to pick up a book & read it but, when someone recites as you did it makes it more real than just words.

thanks ^^ that's the best way to learn stuff too, tell other people about it Wink although i would have loved to have my notes too so i could give quotes and names and such Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Norc wrote:ok, so i know most of you kinda hate the Tauriel character, for various reasons it be the character itself or the reason she was added, but you can't blame Evangeline Lily. I personally dislike the kick-ass strong female character and that love triangle and, especially the healing thing, but i don't really hate that character (or the actor) because i really see the need for that character. anyhow, back to Lily. what she said about female characters, i thnk we should have her voice and opinion in mind Smile
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo1_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo2_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo3_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo4_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo5_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo6_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo7_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo8_250

the question being asked was:
What were your inspirations, especially since [Tauriel] is a completely created character; what brought you to bring that power because there were a lot of ways you could have played that role that would have been along the lines of what we usually see for a girl in an action movie where she’s not in the adventure, she’s the prize…?

bumping for new page
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Ive nothing against her, she seems a nice lady, I liked what she said above, What got me hopping mad 2yrs ago ( & still going) was the invention of a character that did not exist. Back then I felt Peejers was taking the high ground & thinking he was better, more knowledgeable than Tolkien, I felt peejers was belittling Tolkien. I didnt see the need for a imaginary woman character & I still dont now. I feel not only has peejers confused the audience but, hes confused up the characters to.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Norc wrote:
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo1_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo2_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo3_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo4_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo5_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo6_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo7_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo8_250

Tumblr. Why not just post the video? Why do they have to make a million gifs with all that text? wtf

It makes no sense!

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

because i couldn't find the video but also gifs with text is easier to get what they're saying that finding the video, finding where she says it, put it here, listen carefully what she says etc. you get the picture. there's no room for misunderstanding here.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 pm

az, i agree on some of the points, like i don't think PJ should add whatever he likes and give her a character-arc that is basically men and men and men aka. what she is in relation to a man. had she been given a proper story, like i wanna know what happened to her family, why she was taken under the kings wing, how she earned herself the spot in the guard, what motivates her, see her as an individual, not as Legolas' love interest, not as Thranduil's headache, not as Kili's love interest, not as the Elf-girl who can kick-ass like a man. I wanna see her as Tauriel, a wood elf from mirkwood. i wanna see that selflessness side of her that Lily talks about. I love her attitude towards it, but sadly we don't see that in PJ's movie. it's all down to that little pretentious _____.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 pm

azriel wrote:Nooooo, dont like that picture at all  Neutral If that was a poster at my bus stop I wouldnt give it a 2nd glance. Doesnt have any Tolkien feel at all ! Might suit some cheesy fluff summer let down film but,... not The Hobbit.

me neither. its horrible. looks like Godzilla.  Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 pm

My problem with what Evangiline says is I disagree with the basic premise that Th needs a female character inserted into it in the first place as some sort of stupid pc gender balancing. It doesnt.
Just as Gravity didnt need a man spinning about in space with her all film to balance it.

But if you are going to go down that road then I agree with Norc, you need to present a female character, not one in a love triangle who, surprise, surprise, can kick ass as well as any man- thats just pathetic.

And yeah that poster sucks- I am concerned at the amount of publicity focusing on Smaug considering he should be dead within half an hour of the film starting  Suspect 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 pm

she seems to be contradicting herself a lot. fist she says women were either 'helpers' or pretending to be men, then she says being a 'helper' is womens strength, then she says she is proud to be a kick ass babe. erm colour me confused.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:My problem with what Evangiline says is I disagree with the basic premise that Th needs a female character inserted into it in the first place as some sort of stupid pc gender balancing. It doesnt.
Just as Gravity didnt need a man spinning about in space with her all film to balance it.

But if you are going to go down that road then I agree with Norc, you need to present a female character, not one in a love triangle who, surprise, surprise, can kick ass as well as any man- thats just pathetic.

And yeah that poster sucks- I am concerned at the amount of publicity focusing on Smaug considering he should be dead within half an hour of the film starting  Suspect 

you obviously havent seen Gravity. She is alone for 90%of the film.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:17 pm

It's like they were trying to do the PC thing by making her "kick-ass" and "she don't need no man", and then realized that they still needed to hit their demographic target markets at the same time, so they made the love triangle.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah she does seem a tad confused- she describes all the wrong ways to do a female character then confirms she is playing the character exactly that way!

Maybe she is being deeply ironic, except she cant be because she is American and they dont know what that is!  Very Happy

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

she basically says women have other strengt, like selflessness, and have other goals in life than e.g. Thorin and Thranduil, but that it is fun to kick ass too. i think (she wants) the character of Tauriel to be more similar to the character of Movie-Bard, him having a family to protect Shrugging the thing is Evangeline says all the right stuff, but her character in the end doesn't turn out to be not-just-another-helper and etc. Lily wants her character to be an individual, but she's not, sadly.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Well, she specifically didn't want a love triangle in the first place. And I'll give her points for that, but those in charge needed to complete their Screenwriting 101 Checklist.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:she seems to be contradicting herself a lot. fist she says women were either 'helpers' or pretending to be men, then she says being a 'helper' is womens strength, then she says she is proud to be a kick ass babe. erm colour me confused.
Well it is a Tumblr GIF. Those things do not work as well as a video in getting a person's point across.
I don't think she is contradicting herself though. She says that most female characters were the stereotypical "helpless" characters. Then bad-ass characters began to show up that acted more like stereotypical men. For her portrayal of Tauriel, she claims that she has shown both her ability to care for others (the healing scene) and physically dominate others (killing orcs).

I disagree, however, that women have not been shown to be carers and providers and nurturers in the cinematic past and that they have only been helpless damsels. This argument is silly, as there are countless female characters that care for others around them. Usually this person is a mother, but there are other examples. Even in cringy films like Pearl Harbour there exist female characters that can stand up under immense stress to help others around them. That is "strength" and "power."
What of the famous Scarlett O'Hara? She certainly possessed strength. What of the mother from How Green Was My Valley? Very caring, and much loved for it by her children too.
What about Kim Novak in Vertigo? How about Meryl Streep's characters over the years? Was Katherine Hepburn always a damsel in distress? I think not! Whats-her-name from Alien was not just trying to be a man.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Whats-her-name from Alien was not just trying to be a man.- Forest

Ripley provides I think an excellent case study in a female character- she wasnt written as a female, in the original script Ripley is a man, when they changed it to a female they didnt bother changing much else save to add a corridor scene between her and Dallas that hints they might have had a previous relationship- but apart from that they pretty much just left all the dialogue as written for a man.
Its the actress and the performance that brings out the femininity in the character- not the writing.

I have always thought the lesson here is, if you are a male writer dont try to write an overtly female character, just write a character and let the rest flow from there.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I think this blurb she is coming out with is largely window dressing, maybe more to convince herself because up to now Tauriel has been one big fat cliche.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 pm

She does sound a bit as tho she's been prepped by Kiwi Clan (PJ, Boyens & co)

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 pm

New Poster!
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 HBFA_1Sht_Tsr_INTL_RGB_2764x4096

(Some noob posted it over in the Trailer thread, ha!)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

Maybe she is being deeply ironic, except she cant be because she is American and they dont know what that is!  Very Happy

no she's canadian so its ok

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Perhaps it was very deep irony then!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:New Poster!
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 34 HBFA_1Sht_Tsr_INTL_RGB_2764x4096

Is he looking at the floor, or drifting off to sleep? Given how bored Freeman seems in most of the interviews neither would surprise me.

Sarcasm aside it's nice to see The Hobbit on a poster about The Hobbit...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Hes wondering if Jack Sparrow wants the coat back

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:

Who you callin' noob, boyo?  Suspect 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:

Who you callin' noob, boyo?  Suspect 

Actually, aren't I the 'noob' of the Forum?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next