Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Norc Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm

I want that trailer naaaaaaao!!!!!!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by malickfan Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:11 pm

My thoughts on the most recent news: Banghead Extremely Crabbit Shrugging :facepalm: F You  slap laugh Banghead scratch affraid : pale Crying or Very sad  Suspect  Embarassed  Sad  confused  confused  Sleep  No  No  No 

At this point I don't even have the enthusiasm to be properly crabbit.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:43 pm

fan made trailer

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:04 pm

the simpsons one is brilliant Very Happy (funky town Laughing )
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Tinuviel wrote:All of that sounds so STUPID! Especially the galadriel crap. Maybe she's given a bigger role because of the lack of women

Well she presumably played a significant role in the events at Dol Guldur as Tolkien envisioned them, though there wasn't a major battle and even if there was it's unlikely Galadriel would have been on or near the front lines.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm just wondering which battle they're referring to, since I thought Dol Guldur was smooshed into the BOFA, though according to PJ she and Sauron have a show down, which I'm kind if excited for!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 pm

I could cry ! I thought something was up with my PC, I tried everything in the book to get sound out so I could hear vids etc. Nothing, not a squeak. Then I found out my pesky little kitten had chewed thru the headphone wires,  Rolling Eyes  Durrr !

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Time for a new hat!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 am

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 333

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:56 am

Nooooo, dont like that picture at all  Neutral If that was a poster at my bus stop I wouldnt give it a 2nd glance. Doesnt have any Tolkien feel at all ! Might suit some cheesy fluff summer let down film but,... not The Hobbit.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

Tinuviel wrote:I'm just wondering which battle they're referring to, since I thought Dol Guldur was smooshed into the BOFA, though according to PJ she and Sauron have a show down, which I'm kind if excited for!

They've described Dol Guldur as being a battle, but since Sauron has sent his main force towards Erebor, I'm expecting it to be of secondary importance. Maybe something along the lines of the sacking of Isengard next to the Battle of Helm's Deep.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm

New interview with Jackson:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/peter-jackson-the-hobbit-stanley-kubrick-the-beatles/

You brought to life JRR Tolkien’s creation. It’s his, but haven’t you earned the right to stake your own creative residence claim, and keep telling stories from Middle Earth, even original stories?

Any thoughts Petty?

After he died, his son Christopher Tolkien rummaged through all his father’s archives and found all this material he thought was worthy of publication. The one everybody knows is The Silmarillion, which his father wrote in pieces, some while he sat in the trenches of the First World War.

Firstly I find the image of C.Tolkien madly tearing through his father's archives with Dollar signs in his eyes, kinda hilarious, secondly he published The Silmarillion, because his father asked him to, thirdly virtually none of Tolkien's mythology was written 'in the trenches' (I was actually quite surprised to learn the other day, Tolkien only served in France for five months in WW1, only a small proportion of which seems to be heavy combat) and fourthly, yeah it's the one everyone knows, except Phillpa Boyens apparently....

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 pm

yeah, true, actually almost nothing got written during WWI, he worked on communication, and saw the trenches ones. we was sick twice i think, and probably then doodled down some ideas, but nothing that can be called "writing a bit of silmarillion". he got the idea or perhaps the taste of the mythology around that time, but it wasn't until after the war he really started writing and stuff. the runes (and language part) had been an interest of his since childhood and was something he did before WWI, but to say he wrote it.. naah, that's stretching it. however, the war did leave it's mark on Tolkien. Even though he didn't see a lot of battle, he did see it and as we know, but perhaps not fully can comprehend, that the WWI was hell. air raids (yes there were such in the first one too) and the smell, i believe he wrote in a letter something about a man being stuck in water with only his head over, going slightly mad as the days went on until he died. Tolkien also lost two of his four closest friends, his fellowship. one can say alot about LOTR and it being about religion, but in reality it is about evil, the physical evil (orcs) and the not so touchable evil of greed and control etc. about the industrial world growing, destroying beautiful things, the shire being a sort of representative for his childhood years on the countryside. also the evil/enemy that is almost out of your control, air raids and the fear (aka. nazgûls). so i'll leave it with that. no, he didn't write the silmarillion during world war one, but it had a huge impact on him during the rest of his writing.

(so that's a short version of my in depth study of 20 minutes presentation)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Wow! That was really great Norc!! I thought all four of his friends died? They were all in that little group (can't remember what it's called...) but I guess that could be another false fact!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm

i've removed all my school documents on this computer (since i am done!) so i don't remember exaclty, it was something like B.C.C.S or B.C.R.S ...or somethign.. it was short for something, i wish i remembered. it's not the inklings though, they were later (the one with C.S Lewis).

but yes, only two died, they met later and wrote to each other (the bio i read was based on letters) and they kinda stayed in touch, but things were obvoiusly never the same. they had described themselves as feelin invincible when they were together. they had a common love for.. oh god what was it again, i think it was poems, not sure, but they were five very different men. Tolkien was more interested in language and liguistics (is that the words of it?) and one of them were for literature and art, but there was also a mathematician/science guys, so they were all very different and had their different areas, anyhow they were very good friends and had lively conversations in the library and stuff. when the guy who was interested in litterature died (it's a shame this project now is not on this cmputer, i have it somewhere, i could've given you names and everything) he felt he had to not stop and carry on and write and because of him, he inspired tolkien a lot in his love for writing and poetry, Tolkien started writing for real, creating poetry Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm

edit: the club was called T.C.B.S.,Tea Club and Barrovian Society Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Peter Jackson saying that Tolkien was "writing in the trenches" makes WWI sound like a leisurely affair. Mad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm

yeah, it's totally wrong. he started the book of lost tales (sort of) when laying on the hospital bed during/after his service in the first world war, and his writing is also a sort of effect of the war, with his friend dying and him feeling he had to carry on for his sake but i think also because war does something with a person in the way that you need to find another focus in life, an escape from reality, and creating middle earth is just that. an alternative society were the good wins in the end (yes, we won over the germans in both wars, but to tolkien we didn't really win everything as the industrializing just kept on and machines took man's place in compat).
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Norc wrote:yeah, it's totally wrong. he started the book of lost tales (sort of) when laying on the hospital bed during/after his service in the first world war, and his writing is also a sort of effect of the war, with his friend dying and him feeling he had to carry on for his sake but i think also because war does something with a person in the way that you need to find another focus in life, an escape from reality, and creating middle earth is just that. an alternative society were the good wins in the end (yes, we won over the germans in both wars, but to tolkien we didn't really win everything as the industrializing just kept on and machines took man's place in compat).

Have you read 'Tolkien and The Great War' by John Garth?

http://www.johngarth.co.uk/php/tolkien_and_the_great_war.php

It (as the title states) explores Tolkien's war service and his friendship with the TCBS in the 1910-20's, it's a very interesting (if wordy) book and complements Carpenter's Biography really well. From memory (haven't read it in a while) Garth also spends alot of time talking about Tolkien's early writings (including the Book of Lost Tales-'The Fall of Gondolin seems very clearly influenced by The Battle of The Somme) and prints a few of Tolkien's rare/unpublished poems.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:23 pm

no, i haven't read that one, perhaps i should Smile thanx ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Norc wrote:no, i haven't read that one, perhaps i should Smile thanx ^^

You can probably pick up a English Language version very cheap on Amazon if you are interested, in my humble opinion it's the second best book I've read on Tolkien (after The Road To Middle Earth), but it is a bit of the dense side, defintely not for casual fans, as it focuses almost entirely on the BOLT (of earlier) versions of the Mythology.

It's either that or pop tarts...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm

haha, we'll see, i can wish for it for my birthday or something, either that or pop-tarts Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm

That was really interesting Norc, I liked reading the way you put it. Its to easy to pick up a book & read it but, when someone recites as you did it makes it more real than just words.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 pm

ok, so i know most of you kinda hate the Tauriel character, for various reasons it be the character itself or the reason she was added, but you can't blame Evangeline Lily. I personally dislike the kick-ass strong female character and that love triangle and, especially the healing thing, but i don't really hate that character (or the actor) because i really see the need for that character. anyhow, back to Lily. what she said about female characters, i thnk we should have her voice and opinion in mind Smile
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo1_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo2_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo3_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo4_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo5_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo6_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo7_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 33 Tumblr_n9ddgpYWSD1qat2emo8_250

the question being asked was:
What were your inspirations, especially since [Tauriel] is a completely created character; what brought you to bring that power because there were a lot of ways you could have played that role that would have been along the lines of what we usually see for a girl in an action movie where she’s not in the adventure, she’s the prize…?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next