Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 am

Maybe Radagast becomes permanently trapped in moth form, thus explaining why all his appearances in the LoTR films are as a moth.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Tinuviel Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:40 am

Or maybe Radagast lends it to him so he can do stuff while he goes back home to feed is over sized rodents.
I noticed that Raddy's staff looked just like Gandalf's. I thought it was conincidence at first, but now I'm seeing it was purposeful. At least he just doesn't magically get it back like in ROTK when it exploded.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:26 am

Eldorion wrote:Maybe Radagast becomes permanently trapped in moth form, thus explaining why all his appearances in the LoTR films are as a moth.

If that actually happens I think my brain will turn itself off. I don't see a point in killing off the character because there would be no emotional resonance. Plus his death would be dwarfed by Thorin, Kili, and Fili's (and possibly Tauriel's, but we don't know yet). We don't know much about the character, so what has Radagast done that would make his death not pointless? He saved a hedgehog, he rode around in circles on his sled, he gave Gandalf a lift to Dol Guldur, and he went for help...yeah.  Rolling Eyes 

Unless his soul purpose is to die in order to give Gandalf a new staff, which is really stupid.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 am

This is gonna be a weird movie.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:48 am

bungobaggins wrote:We don't know much about the character, so what has Radagast done that would make his death not pointless?

I'm afraid that may be exactly what seals his doom. He's like the anonymous red-shirt Star Trek security teams that beam down to the surface each episode to die.  Rolling Eyes 

Worse than that, he doesn't get a single appearance, or even a mention in LotR film, so by a certain cruel cinematic logic his character arc has to end somewhere in BO5A.  And....well.... it's going to be a battle of 5 armies. How would you end a character arc in the middle of a war film? Shrugging

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 am

bungobaggins wrote:We don't know much about the character, so what has Radagast done that would make his death not pointless?

I'm sure his rabbits will mourn him. Sad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Or feast on his remains.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Or feast on his remains.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Rabbit-from-a-hat-twilight-zone-the-movie

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 UJpDi Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Or feast on his remains.

Sebastian the hedgehog would have quite the feast. Twisted Evil

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Well, in the EE of ROTK Saruman mentions the 'Rods of the Five Wizards' so providing Jackson cares about continuity *Cough* I'm guessing they might stick with canon and have Raddy go a little nuts and dissapear into the forest.

Either way I don't really care, frankly I think I'd feel more emotion if Sebastian dies.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Saruman mentions the 'Rods of the Five Wizards' - Malick

Yeah and then PJ's script leaves out in Saruman tirade, - '(and) a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now!"

How can he leave that out?  Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:04 pm

" frankly I think I'd feel more emotion if Sebastian dies."

i cant stop giggling at that  Laughing I think you've hit the nail on the head Malick

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Saruman mentions the 'Rods of the Five Wizards' - Malick

Yeah and then PJ's script leaves out in Saruman tirade, - '(and) a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now!"

Well considering Saruman wasn't speaking very loudly from the top of a 300 foot tower, it's quite surprising how legible his speech was anyway, (actually come to think of it are Staffs/Staves and Rods referred to as the same thing in the book, coz I've now got a crazy image of the Istari holding ceremonial rods and robes of office) I seem to recall Jackson mentioning on the commentary that the edited scene was a hodgepodge of various lines, so It's quite possible they filmed some of the additional dialogue.

I always felt Saruman's death at the start of ROTK felt bolted on and abrupt anyway, but I'm not sure it would really work elsewhere in the films.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Saruman mentions the 'Rods of the Five Wizards' - Malick

For all the boasting by George R. R. Martin (I wrote that as Martin R. R. Freeman at first  Laughing ) that Tolkien's writing lacks humour in comparison to his own, I find that much of the more comedic stuff is left out of Jackson's film treatment in favour of increased drama. The boots, as you mention, is a good example. I'm about half-way through The Two Towers books and am also finding quite a few funny little moments. Legolas, for example, when speculating over the cut ropes and empty Lembas bread wrappings left behind at the scene of the uruks' destruction decides that only a Hobbit would be so pleased with himself for getting free as to sit down and enjoy a snack. I'm clearly butchering the delivery there, but I find plenty of parts in Tolkien that are amusing.
The Ents are also far more likeable in the book than their strange film counterparts. Quickbeam's explanation of how he got his nickname:

"'[Treebeard speaking]...Still, it is no use denying, we shall be here a long time yet: a couple of days very likely. So I have brought you a companion. He has an ent-house nearby. Bregalad is his Elvish name. He says he has already made up his mind and does not need to remain at the Moot. Hm, hm, he is the nearest thing among us to a hasty Ent. You ought to get on together. Good-bye!' Treebeard turned and left them.
Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and les; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. He could bend and sway like a slender tree in the wind. At last he spoke, and his voice though resonant was higher and clearer than Treebeards'.
'Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!' he said. 'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname, of course. They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!'"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:29 pm

azriel wrote:" frankly I think I'd feel more emotion if Sebastian dies."

i cant stop giggling at that  Laughing I think you've hit the nail on the head Malick

Well, even though it was a incredibly contrived attempt at gaining my sympathy, Sebastian's poisoning in AUJ did get to me a little, not in terms of storytelling, merely in that I have a soft spot for hedgehogs, even with their reckless stupidity (seriously why build nests next to busy roads?), they are pretty charming creatures, and occasionally make appearances where I live, so I found him easier to relate to than a drug addled 'amusing' mushroom hoarder covered in shit.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm

I agree  Smile Although we do have a few drug addled 'amusing' mushroom hoader(s) covered in shit where I live  Very Happy

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 pm

azriel wrote:I agree  Smile Although we do have a few drug addled 'amusing' mushroom hoader(s) covered in shit where I live  Very Happy

Glasgow?

(Sorry Petty, couldn't resist, it has more international recognition than Gosport...)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Legolas, for example, when speculating over the cut ropes and empty Lembas bread wrappings left behind at the scene of the uruks' destruction decides that only a Hobbit would be so pleased with himself for getting free as to sit down and enjoy a snack. I'm clearly butchering the delivery there, but I find plenty of parts in Tolkien that are amusing.

It's been ages since I've read TTT but I recall that. Very Happy There are so many great little moments in LOTR that get overlooked, in part because it's a very dense story, but also because many of them were left out of the films. I prefer most of Tolkien's humor to Jackson's, although I think PJ does have some moments that are genuinely funny. The Bombur running scene in DOS is actually one example that comes readily to mind. Very different sense of humor than Tolkien though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Glasgow?- Malick

Mad Bloody cheek- Ill have you know they've moved all the junkies and jakies out for the Commonwealth Games  Nod (of course it more than halved the cities population, but still!)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Glasgow?- Malick

Mad Bloody cheek- Ill have you know they've moved all the junkies and jakies out for the Commonwealth Games  Nod (of course it more than halved the cities population, but still!)

Well in fairness a good few of the athletes are probably no stranger to drugs anyway!.

I have to confess I scarcely watched the London Olympics, I don't see my interest being any greater this time around.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:31 am

What has it been? A week since the trailer was rated? Now even I'm starting to feel impatient. Just get the damn thing over with already.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:26 am

We're still a week away from The Hobbit's day in the spotlight at SDCC's Hall H. which is what most people expect the trailer release to be synchronized with.  The trailer might come out before then, but it could also be a couple days afterwards (I find this very unlikely though).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Who am I to thwart Stannis?  pale 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:23 pm

No stroke patient voice, no watch.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next