Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Tinuviel Tue May 27, 2014 4:47 am

Honestly, I go to see Lee Pace in these films, and that's pretty much it. And I kind of like Bard, though he's surrounded by crappy characters.

This trailer will most likely reveal absolutely nothing except action shots, so get ready for a bunch of half second shots of things too blurry to make out even in a freeze frame!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Tinuviel Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 am

http://www.examiner.com/article/hobbit-3-spoilers-reveal-thorin-oakenshield-will-remain-alive-for-the-film

This better be a rumor. If Thorin doesn't die, then I won't watch.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 28, 2014 3:11 am

That sounds like complete bullshit. The source for this rumor (and I hesitate to even grace it with that word) is some site called Ecumenical News, which reports that:

It has been reported that the film will follow Tolkien's book, though one character who died in the book, Thorin Oakenshield, will remain alive. It is still not sure whether Oakenshield's presence in the movie will have any major effect on the plot.

Most importantly, no, it hasn't been reported anywhere else that Thorin will survive the third film. The only thing even close to this was the petition from a week or two of people who wanted Thorin to survive. I'm not entirely convinced that those folks weren't just trolling, but regardless, a major decision like that would have been made years ago anyway.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 am

I just saw that petition. The fact that it exists makes my skin crawl.

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed May 28, 2014 4:08 am

They might have multiple endings  Shrugging 

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 28, 2014 11:59 am

I thought it couldnt get worse. It just did.  Laughing 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey, if Thorin lives, there can be ..... sequels.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 28, 2014 2:21 pm

oh mah fucking god this is so stupid.. then again perhaps i should be glad since i accidently spoiled the ending for someone.... gaah Rolling Eyes
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 28, 2014 6:30 pm

I can't wait for these movies to be over.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 29, 2014 12:04 am

i think the reactions on this forum are the best. eldo being all analytic and reasonable, but the rest being like "aw man" "it got worse" and generally wishing we were all done with it soon Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 29, 2014 4:11 am

Maybe it's that my hopes weren't as high in the beginning, or maybe I'm just a completist, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the trilogy through to the end. And yes, I will on some level miss these films once they are over and done with. They've been a big part of my life (through the fandom, primarily) for the last five and a half years. How could I just dismiss them, even if they're not very good? (And to be clear, they aren't, and they don't need made-up rumors for that to be the case.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 am

I agree with Eldo. Although I'm not liking these films AT ALL and the slightest mention of them makes me go off on a rant, I still look forward to updates and trailers and what not. I've been hounding this project since we found out GDT was on board, and I'm not going to quit because of some (relatively large and disturbing) hiccups.

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 29, 2014 7:06 am

They say, out of every bad there comes some good well, thanks to peejers, we wouldnt have this forum ? and look at the diversity here ? All the weird & wonderful people ! This rainbow of characters has made this place such bloody good fun !!!  Very Happy Id even go so far as to say, peejers is the Aspirin to a headache, If I feel just about as pissed off as you can get, I wap on The Hobbit, yell & scream at the screen & feel completely better ! Very Happy  Peejers  Rolling Eyes What a dick !

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 29, 2014 7:55 am

Indeed, he fills a basic human need for something bigger than day-to-day issues to feed our crabbit.
Considering that I already have 3 long films-worth of Jackson's work with Middle-Earth, I really wish that Del Toro had directed The Hobbit. I really don't see Pacific Rim or whatever it was called to be a viable alternate way for him to spend his time. I haven't seen it of course, but from what I've heard it couldn't be as good as a Del Toro Hobbit might have been (maybe).

That article does seem to be nothing but baseless conjecture. DOS has set up the death of Smaug fairly solidly I believe. I don't see him living past Lake-town. As for Thorin dying, I can't wait! I only hope that Tauriel and Fili's (or was it Kili?) deaths are satisfying, rather than depressing. I mean to say, that although I dislike the idea of an elven-dwarven romance as much as anyone, the scenes between Tauriel and Fili/Kili were some of the only scenes in DOS that hinted at some of the beauty of Elf-lore. Everything else onscreen related to them was concerned with their invented dwarf-hate, their weirdness, or their stupid acrobatics.
And when it comes down to it, it is the allure of the elves that is most appealing to me in Tolkien. Hobbits are fine folk, but I've always disliked the sort of LotR fan that goes about dressed up as a Peter Jackson hobbit, and who seems to think that rosy cheeks and a round belly are the pinnacle of Tolkien's work. (As opposed to simply the pinnacle of a life devoted to very good eating.)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 29, 2014 11:43 am

I think the masochist in me keeps my attention on these worthless films, when I watch them it gives me a horrible crabbit feeling, I loathe them but cant let go, part of me still hopes things will turn out well, but logic says yeah riiiiiight. I have waited ages for them in happy anticipation and now I feel robbed, and unsatisfied, and I hope they bomb and he gets no Oscars, which is unlike me as I am not a vindictive person at all, but he gets my goat.  Mad 

He even screwed up the Elves, my favorites, Tauriel is made to be so banal, the only reason she talks to Kili is because he is the cutest, so Tauriel is made out to be just a 'normal' girl superficially interested in cute guys rather than you know, AN ELF!,  Mad Rolling Eyes  and altogether deeper and more interesting. If she had taken a shine to Bofur for example, it would have been less predictable, less schmalzy sickly twilight crappery, and a bit easier to warm to.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Well, considering how they are scaling back Dains character to be a straightforward tattooed (pig-riding) warrior I'm not sure the rumour sound all that implausible.  Shrugging 

(Just pouring some petrol on the fire.  Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Whistling2 )

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 29, 2014 4:39 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Well, considering how they are scaling back Dains character to be a straightforward tattooed (pig-riding) warrior

Sounds like Peter Jackson is making "The Adventures of Penny and Oppo"  Laughing 

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 14 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Very Happy

The rumour doesn't sound all that implausible, I agree. With how much work has gone into puffing up Thorin's cool factor for the last two films it would be, from a script-writer's point of view, a terrible choice to kill off the main character at the end of the trilogy. That being said, Jackson can't go and change something that large, can he? I know Azog/Bolg were all mixed together, and the Battle of Anazubimbolbobbafett was messed with, and Thorin's importance inflated at the expense of poor Dain, but letting him live would be a Major Departure. And so far, we haven't been treated to any real Major Departures.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Tinuviel wrote:http://www.examiner.com/article/hobbit-3-spoilers-reveal-thorin-oakenshield-will-remain-alive-for-the-film

This better be a rumor. If Thorin doesn't die, then I won't watch.

Although I'm 90% sure this is a load of b******* (IwishitwasIanMcshaneisteadoftheklingon confirmed he filmed a death scene months ago) rumours like this make me very annoyed and amused in equal measure, I find it kinda funny (and sad) some 'fans' of the book complain about scouring of the shire being cut, yet becuase Mr Hot Hair might be killed (arguably Faramir and Aragorn have nearly as little personality as Thorin in the books, yet because they are nice, people don't seem to have a problem with them) they suddenly start clamouring to keep him alive (really? 'Oh no he might die!' it's a kids book people, deal with it), Thorin was never intended to be a clean cut Hero by Tolkien, he dies for his sins not his heroism or quest, keeping Thorin alive would not only completely destroy the moral lessons behind the tale (and do a disservice to the character, IMO Thorin trying and failing to conquer his demons is a better testament to his strength and bravery than a bunch ;cinematic' of longwinded action scenes) , ruin decades of M.E's hsitory, and sideline Billy Connoly as Dain, it is a frankly stupidly cynical attempt to wring more money out of a dying franchise, and on a personal level it would deprive me of one of the few remaining things I look forward too from this franchise-seeing the TORn message boards come december 2014. Stuff like this makes me p*ssed of, the beauty of Tolkien's work is that he doesn't do what you'd expect, taking such screenwriting 101 decisions on the plot only furthers my belief that the filmmakers are sing the book as an excuse to make the story they wanted Tolkien to tell, not the story he gave them.

Sad No Banghead Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit Extremely Crabbit F You etc.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 pm

malickfan wrote: I find it kinda funny (and sad)
Sorry, but... Razz

Or if you like Tears for Fears (original): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsHSHE-iJQ

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Well, considering how they are scaling back Dains character to be a straightforward tattooed (pig-riding) warrior

Sounds like Peter Jackson is making "The Adventures of Penny and Oppo"  Laughing 

Well. She's a bit uncertain to appear in the TV series, so perhaps HBO sold Jackson the concept.  Razz 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 30, 2014 3:53 am

Ringdrotten wrote:

I've just been reading this section and it's actually really sad to me. Sad I may shed tears when Dain appears on screen, but it's unlikely to be because of the emotional impact.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 30, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm confused. You've been reading Tolkien or Martin?
If the first, I understand (tears of rage), but if the second, Dain's pig riding will remind you too much of Penny? I see!  Neutral 

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri May 30, 2014 3:58 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next