Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Hardly surprising given the title change- it kind of becomes inevitable with a title like that the trailer has to be full on action.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by halfwise Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:24 pm

It seems the TORN twitter site is the mirror inverse of all the PJ lackeys in TORN itself. Refreshing.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Oh, man. I can't describe in words how much I don't care anymore.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I think I had a dream the other night where I was watching BOFA and all I remember is the dragon didn't come into it for half an hour... I don't remember the details, but I doubt they were important. What's the prologue even going to be this time around?

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Oh, man. I can't describe in words how much I don't care anymore.

I know  Sleep PJ and co going yak yak yak ........*snore*
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Tinuviel wrote:I think I had a dream the other night where I was watching BOFA and all I remember is the dragon didn't come into it for half an hour... I don't remember the details, but I doubt they were important. What's the prologue even going to be this time around?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Thorin will probably feature heavily. Razz

They might take the opportunity to introduce Dain as well, but I'm not really expecting that.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 pm

http://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/tv-guide-article-on-the-the-hobbit-tv-movie1977/

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Hobbit-1977

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Hobbit-1977-2

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh man, I love that the word "purists" was already in wide enough usage in the context of Tolkien stuff that even TV Guide got in on it. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Haha, I love those eyebrows on Gloin and Oin.
As for the Great Goblin Horned Toothsome-Cat-Thing...
Looks more like a Vogon in that second image.
Still, cool article.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Looks more like a Vogon in that second image.- Forest

I knew it reminded me of something!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:04 am

It would almost make sense if the Great Goblin had looked more Vogon-like. After all, it would not be the first time Martin Freeman's run into them:

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 0335_6

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:51 am

One of the best things in that film was the vogon design- loved it. Like living 18th century newspaper cartoon caricatures of the people in power.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 am

I love how hunched they are, and those spindly arms!
They're even better considering that they aren't CGI, but puppetry.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:01 am

Its largely the fact they are puppets and not cgi that I like them so much, they have presence, and weight and can interact with the actors.
If they were cgi it would still be a good design, but the interaction would not be so good if the actors were talking to a tennis ball on a pole.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:47 pm

But what if you're making a movie about tennis?  scratch 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Then why would they be talking to the ball?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:26 am

It's a concentration method.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:23 am

It's really nice not having any official movie news for a long time. It's like the whole thing doesn't even exist.  cyclops 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:46 am

Indeed!

And while we're enjoying our wishful thinking, I wonder if "shorter than the others" might mean "only two hours."

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:45 am

bungobaggins wrote:It's really nice not having any official movie news for a long time. It's like the whole thing doesn't even exist.  cyclops 

Nod And after it's out they can start to become irrelevant to everyone else
I don't know why but that's makes me want to post this.

A comforting thought

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:48 am

I know Ive said it before but, the only battle going on will be, the battle to get out of the cinema quick enough ! I saw the 1st film, AUJ at the flicks, & well before the credits rolled all you could hear was the clanging of seats as people shot up & out. No murmurings, no "that was a good film", no nothing ! At least with LOTRs some people stayed for the credits & there was the hum of conversation but with AUJ, some, (well, a lot actually) hardly stayed for the ending let alone the credits !

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 17 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Oh, man. I can't describe in words how much I don't care anymore.

I am so there with you bungo...  Sad  I gave up caring a while ago.I haven't seen DOS since watching it in theaters and have no intentions of buying it even when the EE comes out. I think I have watched AUJ about 3 times since it came out on blueray, and then I only watch the beginning part which is more like the book than the crappy second half.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Jackson succeeded where Tolkien didn't? In what regard? Making an overbloated action flick that's a dime a dozen? Well congrats Jackson, you've completely missed the point. The sad thing is many a fanboy will read that and bring back the appendices argument that we all love to see.

Really the fame and yes-men went to his head; in the ten years since the last trilogy he became complacent. These new films are a self parody and the fact that it's trying to be serious and epic is too rich. I can't even get that mad about it anymore. I said a long while back in Bree that if these movies strayed really far from the source material that they'd become like the later Narnia movies for me: they exist and they're available, but I have to remind myself of that fact. They're so far removed from the source material in mind that they're almost completely irrelevant. They can scream for attention, but I'm numb to it.

The Hobbit movies just look like generic Hollywood action trash; it's a shame because the source material is worth more than that, but Jackson and co have shown that they're massive fans of that sort of convention. It's a good thing they can't touch the Silmarillion or any of Tolkien's other works. Once this movie series is over, I don't doubt that Warner Brothers would love Thorin to stay alive so they could make some sort of spin off. They'll probably do that regardless though. In any case, the series at that point is Lord of the Rings in name only which is more than reason enough to milk that cash cow until no one cares anymore.

I SOOOO agree with everything in your post RA
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrHat Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Sinister71 wrote:

I am so there with you bungo...  Sad  I gave up caring a while ago.I haven't seen DOS since watching it in theaters and have no intentions of buying it even when the EE comes out. I think I have watched AUJ about 3 times since it came out on blueray, and then I only watch the beginning part which is more like the book than the crappy second half.

Yup totally agree Mr. Sinister, but although im entirely disillusioned with the hobbit franchise, i dont think i will be able to stop myself from purchasing all three EE bluerays once they come out as a package... i have to keep up my image with my family as a tolkien freak and although i have the books, im afraid im also gonna have to get the movies Sad 

MrHat
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:55 pm

I feel your pain Mr Hat, I too will have to get hold of them for my purist edits of them, assuming there is anything left in BOFA that can go in a purist edit that is  Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next