Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 37 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by RA Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I don't think Norc believes in ELE. Rolling Eyes
Non-believer!!!

ELE  elephant 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 37 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by RA Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Radaghast wrote:One thing about Tauriel: if having her in the movie was about "feminine energy" why weren't there more female elves, especially non-warrior ones? I'd maybe believe the line about "feminine energy" a bit more if Tauriel wasn't so obviously a token.

And a couple more observations:

• How are those dead dwarves in Erebor so well-preserved? Didn't Smaug kill them 170 years ago?
  • Bard asks the people of Lake-town at one point if they remember what Smaug did to Dale and is answered with a chorus of affirmatives. Again, 170 years ago, so how do any of them remember it?

I think the first one is an over sight; plenty of those Jackson Rolling Eyes
The second one is either an error or works because of how screwed up the timeline is now.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Also why was Tauriel put into a very generic (and stupid) love triangle if the sole reason for her inclusion is feminine energy?

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm

That's a pretty big oversight Laughing

I don't even want to think about what the movies' timeline is  No I'm not even sure the filmmakers know.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Also why was Tauriel put into a very generic (and stupid) love triangle if the sole reason for her inclusion is feminine energy?

Lilly said that when they went back for pick-ups Jackson and Boyens told her that the studio wanted a romance subplot, even though Lilly specifically took the job on the condition that she wouldn't get stuck in a love triangle.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Radaghast wrote:How are those dead dwarves in Erebor so well-preserved? Didn't Smaug kill them 170 years ago?

Either the filmmakers don't know or don't care about rates and types of decay in corpses. Maybe they thought it would be scarier or more resonant to not just have skeletons.

Bard asks the people of Lake-town at one point if they remember what Smaug did to Dale and is answered with a chorus of affirmatives. Again, 170 years ago, so how do any of them remember it?

He's obviously not asking if they personally remember.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Radaghast wrote:Bard asks the people of Lake-town at one point if they remember what Smaug did to Dale and is answered with a chorus of affirmatives. Again, 170 years ago, so how do any of them remember it?

He's obviously not asking if they personally remember.
It's the equivalent of asking you or me if we remember the Civil War. Neither of us remember it in any sense.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26 pm

It's more like a politician saying "We can't forget what those damn [insert foreign country here] have done to us!"
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Radaghast wrote:How are those dead dwarves in Erebor so well-preserved? Didn't Smaug kill them 170 years ago?

Smaug & Sons Embalming Inc.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:36 pm

If it happened before any of us was born, I don't think we'd have a very strong reaction to it. But we're probably in danger of falling into a semantics debate here.

Incidentally, Bard's argument is stupid (no big surprise there). He doesn't know Smaug's sleeping habits and he should know that Smaug is bound to wake eventually. The way the movie tried to play Bard's discovering who Thorin was for drama was laughable.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 37 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Smaug & Sons Embalming Inc.
Razz

They kind of looked like porcelain dolls; creepy.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Creepy indeed.

*gulp

pale 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:02 pm

And none of them seem to have died of horrible burns  Rolling Eyes 

Just messy, lazy and horrible filmmaking all around  Banghead 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Maybe they died of starvation, holed up in that side room?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Maybe. In Peej's warped vision of ME, anything goes, I guess.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Another thing: does anyone know if those fish were real? I hope not or that at least that they were used for something. Otherwise, what an appalling waste. It would be too much if they were thrown away after being shown in a scene that talked about people being hungry.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Does anyone know where the filmmakers are getting all this black-speech from? As far as I can recall, Tolkien didn't give us any kind of alphabet for it like Khuzdul or any of the Elvish languages.

There's a lot of black speech in these movies, and I'm wondering if they're making most of it up.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Since the Ring-verse is written in Tengwar I've always assumed that Sauron and his servants used that alphabet when writing in the Black Speech, though as Appendix F tells us, most of Sauron's servants did not use that language much. But I don't think Tolkien gave us much in the way of vocabulary for the Black Speech beyond the Ring-verse, so I'd imagine most of the words and phrases in the film were invented (same as with Gimli's Neo-Khuzdul cursing in FOTR, just on a larger scale).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I've been thinking about why they used black-speech so much for the orcs in these movies. (Actually I think that orc who gets captured in DOS is the first orc to speak common tongue in the hobbit movies so far Question ) And looking at the dialogue they've given the orcs, all of it would sound really lame and funny if spoken in english, so I think the black-speech is just the script writers compensating for a lack of good dialogue.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Psst, Bungo. I think that was supposed to be a secret. Laughing 

Very insightfull though. I think that sounds plausible. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Just another reason to think it's not an adaptation of The Hobbit.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:26 am

Well Jackson has been forthright with that information now - these are prequels to his Lotr trilogy. I think it's a terrible missed opportunity.
Oh well.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:23 pm

I wonder, do people think it would have been better with a Hobbit movie and then a prequel movie as was talked about?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Radaghast wrote:Another thing: does anyone know if those fish were real? I hope not or that at least that they were used for something. Otherwise, what an appalling waste. It would be too much if they were thrown away after being shown in a scene that talked about people being hungry.

They looked real, but they may not have been - dumping big fish like that over actors is not a gentle act.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Particularily not on take 30.  pale   Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next