Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 23 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Mrs. Figg wrote:
"If there isnt the talking Ravens telling Bard about the missing scale who is going to inform him? please please dont tell me its going to be Tauriel. Imagine the horror if the Dwarves in Laketown including the healed Kili go back up the mountain to find the Others, Bilbo comes running out and tells Tauriel she then doubles back to Laketown and reunites with Leggy and Leggy thinks to himself being a superdooper archer that HE will kill Smaug, so he steals Bards Arrow and does the deed pleasing his daddy no end."  

pale 

Gentle funny Figg - I hate to remind you that Bard and his kids already know about the missing scale... Hell everyone in lake town probably knows, there is no need at all now to have the raven scene, why would they , besides they don't like talking animals in the inner circle of revisionist at newline .... As far as Bard loosing his claim to glory by taking out Smaug...Please, dear coven don't let this be so. Figg this almost seems likely to happen either leggy or Tauriel hard to tell which is the better shot...  Making me cringe
 Neutral 

I think I am going to go watch this again, I can out side for a smoke break and a coffee when it gets too tedious but I think I missed some ignorance and I need to see it again. scratch 
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 23 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Music of the Ainur Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Or am I wrong about Bard knowing already? That memory may have been in Shocked a nightmare induced by the film .... I thought I caught a reference to the missing scale while in laketown... If I am mistaken forgive me... No one else caught this reference?
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Yeah it seems the story of missing scale is well known Music- Balin tells the story in Laketown to a flashback, and then Bard boy goes on about the shot that knocked the scale away and Thorin says thats a fairy story- the Coven being such devious script writers the twist is noone really believes it, that way they can inexplicably mock Bard for his ancestor being the only guy in the whole place brave enough to even have a go at the dragon whilst everyone else ran.  Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Music of the Ainur wrote:Mrs. Figg wrote:
"If there isnt the talking Ravens telling Bard about the missing scale who is going to inform him? please please dont tell me its going to be Tauriel. Imagine the horror if the Dwarves in Laketown including the healed Kili go back up the mountain to find the Others, Bilbo comes running out and tells Tauriel she then doubles back to Laketown and reunites with Leggy and Leggy thinks to himself being a superdooper archer that HE will kill Smaug, so he steals Bards Arrow and does the deed pleasing his daddy no end."  

pale 

Gentle funny Figg - I hate to remind you that Bard and his kids already know about the missing scale... Hell everyone in lake town probably knows, there is no need at all now to have the raven scene, why would they , besides they don't like talking animals in the inner circle of revisionist at newline .... As far as Bard loosing his claim to glory by taking out Smaug...Please, dear coven don't let this be so. Figg this almost seems likely to happen either leggy or Tauriel hard to tell which is the better shot...  Making me cringe
 Neutral 

I think I am going to go watch this again, I can out side for a smoke break and a coffee when it gets too tedious but I think I missed some ignorance and I need to see it again. scratch 

Very Happy  I think i will watch it again too, I missed last bit where Smaug gets turned into gold and flies off to Laketown. I think I will get the horrible thrills.  cyclops 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:42 pm

The weakness in the script almost defies belief.

Would having the thrush tell Bard about Smaugh's weak spot be a challenge? Yes, but that's not the same as being impossible.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:49 pm

They probably saw it as another chance to value their own taste over Tolkien by making another change.  Rolling Eyes 

They must surely take some joy in it the amount of time they do it.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah, looks like they had a field day Mad

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 23 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:48 am

I saw DoS tonight.  I went in telling myself this was just going to be a mindless action adventure with no direct relation to JRRT's Hobbit, so I was actually pleasantly surprised when I recognized a few bits.  

The first shock though was in the first few seconds when PJ sauntered by munching what appeared to be one of my carrots! Shocked {{{Peter, if you're reading this, you owe me a listing in the credits.  Mad }}}

There were large parts that were just silly, but then suddenly I'd find parts that were recognizable. It's as if they had at one time filmed a fairly straight adaptation, then added extra battles, orcs, wizards, dangles, love triangles, etc, like some people pour hot sauce over their food.  Now I'm excited to see what Petty has done by removing the extra fluff.
By the way, watching the credits I was curious about two positions: Tolkien Language Translator, and Tolkien Consultant.  The first is presumably the person who was given the task of bastardizing the dialog from the book, but the second is less clear to me. Does anybody know what her credentials are and exactly which Tolkien she was consulting? scratch
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 am

Good to have you contribute Dave. I was about to make it the fourth post in a row from someone who hasn't seen the movie in the "In theatres" thread.

I guess that should tell one all one needs to know of the impact it has had on people around here. Laughing 

Interesting thoughts. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 pm

If they have Tolkien experts on board the end result makes it even more unforgivable. PJ was probably told again and again not to put Athelas in a pigsty but he did it anyway.  Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Welcome back, Dave! Very Happy Glad you were able to see DOS. I believe Petty already has a rough cut of his DOS edit over in the purist edits thread. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks Eldo. It was when I checked in and saw that Petty had been hard at work on the next edit that I broke down and drove to town to see the film. I wanted to have my first wave of shock and anger be directed harmlessly at PJ and the movie screen, rather than at Petty and my own computer.

I actually wasn't as appalled as I'd expected. Once I accepted that the Hobbit was being adapted as a series of jungle-gym/rollercoaster theme-park rides rather than a narrative movie, I found it easier to watch.

{{{ Note to self: MUST STAY LIBERAL. MUST STAY LIBERAL. MUST STAY LIBERAL}}}
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm going to see DOS again on Saturday with my family (including my dad, who introduced me to the book). But it's doubtful that it's an HFR showing since I can't imagine any of them are interested in it. If I do end up going to a midnight showing for TABA, though, I might make arrangements to see HFR since I'll probably have to go on my own for that anyway.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:43 pm

On IMDb.com it's weird to see a lot of rave reader comments getting voted down and critical reviews getting voted up.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Well, the general mood of the day has a tendency to creep through for any amount of spin. Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Eldorion wrote:I'm going to see DOS again on Saturday with my family (including my dad, who introduced me to the book).  But it's doubtful that it's an HFR showing since I can't imagine any of them are interested in it.  If I do end up going to a midnight showing for TABA, though, I might make arrangements to see HFR since I'll probably have to go on my own for that anyway.

I would recommend trying the HFR just for the sake of being able to say that you tried it, and saw what it was like. It's not really the "revelation" that some are making it out to be.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:53 pm

New blog.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152076435861558&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater

I haven't watched it yet, but the first facebook comment is full of fanboy.

im hoping you somehow someday make the Similarion

ELE ELE ELE ELE ELELELELELELELELELELE  Extremely Crabbit

Youtube link.

Last edited by bungobaggins on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 pm

I ran into this choice last year, and I made the decision to see it with family over HFR then too. Unless I feel like seeing DOS a third time after this weekend (unlikely...), I'm going to have to see it in HFR on opening weekend when it's unlikely anyone else in my family will want to go anyway. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:55 pm

bungobaggins wrote:New blog.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152076435861558&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater

Based on the sample image of that video, it appears that this is the promised soundtrack vlog. Very Happy Excited to watch it when I have a bit more time. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah, I've seen DOS twice now, both on my own. I was going to see it with my brother this week but he bailed on me.

My dad asked me about "the new hobbit movie" and asked if he and mom would enjoy it. I really don't think they would, plus I feel like they'd have to re-watch FOTR before they watched AUJ. They really don't have the time for that. Plus my dad would fall asleep.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:04 pm

I had to go on my own too. Mr Figg is not feeling Elves.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 pm

im hoping you somehow someday make the Similarion
Yeah, make that. Leave The Silmarillion alone Laughing
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 am

DOS is nearly 20 million dollars behind AUJ in its one week gross.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=vs-lotr.htm

Some may blame the weather, but I think there's more behind it.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 am

I don't quite understand the concept of going to see a movie with other people. It's not a group interactive event: it's all one way, processed individually. Do you get a group of people together to read a book?

But I think we've had this conversation before.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:07 am

I think seeing how it holds this weekend is the big test. The level of competition will increase substantially with all the new movies coming out over Christmas.

$300M is definitely looking unlikely, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next