Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
30 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:08 am

halfwise wrote:I don't quite understand the concept of going to see a movie with other people.  It's not a group interactive event: it's all one way, processed individually.  Do you get a group of people together to read a book?

But I think we've had this conversation before.

Um ... yes, book groups are a thing. Question
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 Empty Re: In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS

Post by chris63 Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:42 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 am

Are they fighting in someones house ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 Tumblr_mtzv5r25Kj1qh95qlo4_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 am

Eldorion wrote:
halfwise wrote:I don't quite understand the concept of going to see a movie with other people.  It's not a group interactive event: it's all one way, processed individually.  Do you get a group of people together to read a book?

But I think we've had this conversation before.

Um ... yes, book groups are a thing. Question

they don't sit all on a couch together, open up their books and read them simultaneously. In book groups they talk about the books, not read them. Getting together to read a book is ridiculous. Getting together a group of friends to see a movie during which you do not talk and barely even look at each other is equally ridiculous.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:41 am

Halfwise wrote:Getting together a group of friends to see a movie during which you do not talk and barely even look at each other is equally ridiculous.

Based on the groups of young people I usually see at the theater, that's not exactly true.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 am

chris63 wrote:Are they fighting in someones house ?

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 Tumblr_mtzv5r25Kj1qh95qlo4_500

They're fighting in Bard's house.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:43 am

halfwise wrote:they don't sit all on a couch together, open up their books and read them simultaneously.  In book groups they talk about the books, not read them.  Getting together to read a book is ridiculous.  Getting together a group of friends to see a movie during which you do not talk and barely even look at each other is equally ridiculous.

On occasions when I go to the movies with friends or family, its usually preceded or followed by a meal and we tend to drive in the same car.  You know, activities where conversations tend to occur. :PNot to mention the time before and right after the movie when you're still in the theatre and can talk then.

And even if you go by yourself, seeing a movie in a theatre with strangers is still a communal experience and quite different from watching it in a room alone.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:54 am

Agreed, it's a good communal feeling. I'm not sure that communal feeling is enhanced by being with people you know because during the movie you can't really interact with them.

Riding in cars together to go places. Ah yes, I remember those days. We Manhattanites occasionally have to remind ourselves that not everyone in the world can get anywhere whenever they want without piling into a car. What a strange concept...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:00 am

bungobaggins wrote:

Looks like he's hitting him with the flat of a cleaver.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

yes you heard right. BARD's house???? It doesnt make sense but it happened.  Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 pm

bungobaggins wrote:New blog.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152076435861558&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater

I haven't watched it yet, but the first facebook comment is full of fanboy.

im hoping you somehow someday make the Similarion

ELE ELE ELE ELE ELELELELELELELELELELE  Extremely Crabbit

Youtube link.

watching these fascinating blogs it makes you realize how much effort and enthusiasm went into these films, sooooo many talented people, those musicians were pretty amazingly cool. and I didnt even notice the music I was so busy gawping in dismay at the action. Its criminal. No  what a waste.

Howard Shores house gorgeous.  Razz 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Why didn't the LotR EE appendices mention that some of the music was done in Wellington? Seems like a major oversight and slap in the face to the orchestra, glad they are getting their due.

I was surprised out how many American accents I heard among the musicians.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:51 pm

That was very interesting. Nod 

All those talented people and all hanging on Peter Jacksons every word. Rolling Eyes Somehow that makes me less impressed.

And that's not his house, but his studio as far as I understood it. Shocked 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I started the video, saw Doug Adams and was immediately disgusted. Before I could turn it off I saw Howard Shore, he looks like he could die at any second of un-enthusiasm.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:16 pm

..and nobody dares sit in PJ's comfy chair  Rolling Eyes

((is it my imagination or did he look like a Nabob on that sofa? or just a knob.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Also, no one dares tell PJ: "No."

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

ELE, guys. Rolling Eyes

halfwise wrote:Why didn't the LotR EE appendices mention that some of the music was done in Wellington?  Seems like a major oversight and slap in the face to the orchestra, glad they are getting their due.

Yeah, I don't recall that ever being mentioned in the EE documentaries, although I haven't seen all of them. Most of the score was recorded in London though, as PJ alludes to at the end saying that the soundtrack was the one thing they hadn't been able to do in New Zealand before. Curious.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I pretty much need that ELE reminder everyday. Razz

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 WydWhxR

I know that the Moria vocals were recorded in NZ, they used a Maori choir.

Moria
Maori

In theatres: 'Desolation of Smaug' | SPOILERS - Page 24 Mind-blown

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:51 pm

TORn is almost impossible to visit, what with wall-to-wall marketing and gushing fanboys. It makes for crabbit inducing reading. So I think in future I will give it a wide berth.  Suspect

I tried that Barrowdowns place but the black background with white script hurts my head, cant do it.  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 pm

I get that Figg. Nod 

I don't think the look of this place gets the amount of plaudits it deserves, really.

It's great. Very Happy 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I don't think the look of this place gets the amount of plaudits it deserves, really.

It's great. Very Happy 

Baingil knocked it out of the park. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:43 pm

This green is a really relaxing colour  Thumbs Up 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:TORn is almost impossible to visit, what with wall-to-wall marketing and gushing fanboys. It makes for crabbit inducing reading. So I think in future I will give it a wide berth.  Suspect

I tried that Barrowdowns place but the black background with white script hurts my head, cant do it.  No 

If you don't want to visit torn (and if it's kind of a habit, like it is for me) I would recommend installing a site block add-on for your browser (I use an add-on called "Block site" for Firefox). I used it to stop myself from visiting the Drudge Report, and it has worked. After several months of having not gone there (and not typing the url into the address bar), it's no longer a habit of mine to visit that website.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm

thanks Bungo but knowing my ineptitude with interwebz stuff, I shudder to think what may happen if I let loose a siteblocker.  pale It would probably go feral and start biting the postman.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
yes you heard right. BARD's house???? It doesnt make sense but it happened.  Mad 

Sums up the whole movie right there  :carrot: 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next