Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Eldo has this guy seen the film? I have lost the thread of whats the spoilers are.

wow Tauriel, who knew? little tinkerbell's got jiggy with it
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

It's two guys answering questions but they agree with each other. One of them posted his ticket stub from the world premiere.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:17 pm

oh. thanks. Its worse than I thought, but its probably more enjoyable this way, its a bit of a laugh.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:21 pm

This will be PJ and crew as I'm watching the movie.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Arrested-development-gob-alliance

And this will be me watching the movie.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Mitt-Romney-Laughing

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Clip of Turdy Smell and Plank-face. Watch at own discretion.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/03/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-orlando-bloom-clip/

I don't understand the random lines in elvish. What's the point?

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow, "Plank-Face" is right Shocked
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Honestly, I don't think the clip was bad.  I'm not a fan of the whole "waaah? You mean evil is still a thing?" plotline, in part because it messes up the timeline and runs contrary to the very existence of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, but the scene itself is fine.  Evangeline Lilly seems pretty good too.  I've never seen Lost or anything with her in it but I have no reason to think she won't turn in a good performance, and this clip shows nothing to the contrary.

Orly is definitely pretty wooden in that scene, but I suspect it's because they're trying to to stay consistent with character at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring. He was fairly stiff and humorless at the beginning of that film, which worked out because it gave him somewhere to grow from. But since The Hobbit is a prequel, any character growth he experiences has to stop at the same place he began from a decade ago. So presumably he'll be even more stiff, humorless, and distrustful of outsiders (especially dwarves) in this movie than he was in FOTR.

bungobaggins wrote:I don't understand the random lines in elvish. What's the point?
Presumably they're trying to strike the balance between fanservice, since a lot of people want to hear lines in Elvish, and not having the entire conversation be subtitled, since a lot of people don't like reading subtitles while watching a movie.  They did the same thing in LOTR.

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah I was pretty impressed by Lilly in that clip. Not impressed with Orlando, though. Rolling Eyes 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:51 pm

She could match Laurence Olivier and I still wouldn't care. It's not Tolkien.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Turdarella Turdarella
where is your blonde fella
oh look he's so bella
he's trippin the light fantastic
lookin quite plastic
its gettin rather drastic
divin on invisible elastic
boing! boing! boing!
Turdarella Turdarella

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah I was pretty impressed by Lilly in that clip. Not impressed with Orlando, though. Rolling Eyes 
I edited in some comments on Orly.  I think he's being let down by having bad material to work with.  Not saying he'd be Oscar quality otherwise, but the script didn't do him many favors in LOTR and it's not doing so here either.

Radaghast wrote:She could match Laurence Olivier and I still wouldn't care. It's not Tolkien.
Why even bother watching the film if you've already made up your mind that it's completely worthless if it's different from the book?  Oh wait. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Also, it's time for me to eat crow about the whole movie breaking point thing.  I was pretty vocal in my belief that DOS would include Smaug's death, because I thought doing otherwise would create a ridiculous cliffhanger. PJ has seemed averse to those so far, most noticeable in TTT when he drags the ending on and on trying to give it some sort of resolution.  However, assuming the reports from the IMDb boards are true, Smaug will not die in this movie.  So it appears that I was wrong. Smile I do think it's going to be one of the most ridiculous mid-trilogy cliffhangers ever seen, though. Mad Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:04 pm

she was ok really Very Happy she does a good English accent. 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah, can't say the material that he is working with is great or anything, and his reputation as a plank precedes him.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 pm

I honestly think that Bloom was good in Pirates of the Caribbean, but I've said my fanboy piece on POTC elsewhere. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I can see your point Eldo. It's almost as if he plays Legolas wooden at least a bit on purpose. Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Eldorion wrote:Also, it's time for me to eat crow about the whole movie breaking point thing.  I was pretty vocal in my belief that DOS would include Smaug's death, because I thought doing otherwise would create a ridiculous cliffhanger. PJ has seemed averse to those so far, most noticeable in TTT when he drags the ending on and on trying to give it some sort of resolution.  However, assuming the reports from the IMDb boards are true, Smaug will not die in this movie.  So it appears that I was wrong. :)I do think it's going to be one of the most ridiculous mid-trilogy cliffhangers ever seen, though. MadRazz
Didn't the second Matrix movie end on a cliffhanger? scratch

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 pm

I can't remember if it was mentioned by the imdb poster, but will Bolg be named in the movie? Or is he going to suffer from Lurtzitis?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 pm

I dont know who was more bored, Legolas or me ? Orlando looked as tho he was thinking " I hope I havnt scuppered my chances of a REAL acting role ?!" And Lily was thinking, "IL show them what actings really all about!" while being as cardboard and monotone as best as she could, they were like 2 androids, A blind man's seen better acting. The daleks put up a better performance & they are tin cans on wheels.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 pm

In a fit of nostalgia I've been watching the original star wars (takes me 3 or 4 nights on my schedule). I have to say, R2D2 could give acting lessons to anyone. Manages to emote to perfection all by tone of voice and a very limited physical repertoire. You tie Daniel Day Lewis to a wheel chair squawking out the side of his mouth and he wins an academy award. Why that little droid didn't win any prizes is beyond my ability to fathom.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm

I thought he was fantastic in There Will Be Blood. Shrugging 

I haven't seen My Left Foot, and overall, I'm not sure how I feel about actors portraying mentally and physically disabled persons when they themselves are not.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 pm

I just scanned through all the new spoilers, and the one bright spot I see is that it sounds like many of the subplots are still just stuck together like Legos, which means that Petty should be able to take them apart just as easily.  White Council - gone. Sauron - gone. All the love interests - gone!

And hopefully the the legos that are left will snap back together into a nice 3 to 4 hour movie, which would be the perfect size for an adaptation of one small book. study 

{{OK, my optimism's stretched to the breaking point, but I'm trying, dammit! I'm trying!Mad }}
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Thats more optimistic than me, but I live in hope.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Seems strange that the LotR trilogy is more editable than the new one.

Then again, maybe not, since PJ and his Coven pretty much rewrote the danged story.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next