Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Feel like having your ears bleed? Or do you feel like you just need to fall asleep from boredom? Then give a listen to 30 seconds from every track on the DOS soundtrack.

http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39486

meh.

Edit: changed the link because it's easier to listen to on this website. The other one had 29 videos you had to load.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 pm

The one I like so far is Thrice Welcome. Swore I heard a little harpsichord at the end of the 30 second clip.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:04 pm

well from the picture above it looks like were gonna get some form of Bree in the films. I like the portion of the appendices that tell about Gandalf meeting Thorin in Bree but it is a bit vague. Which in all honesty that scene doesn't need to be some big piece in the film. The better version of their meeting in Bree is in UT where Gandalf recounts the tale to Frodo. But since Jackson has no rights to that, He will have to make up the majority of that meeting. Good or bad that has yet to be determined, but as far as Jackson's made up material goes I personally don't have any faith in his made up content. I have said since day one that Jackson's films IMO are good when he sticks to what Tolkien gave him but fall very short when he makes it up himself.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:08 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Feel like having your ears bleed? Or do you feel like you just need to fall asleep from boredom? Then give a listen to 30 seconds from every track on the DOS soundtrack.

http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39486

meh.

Edit: changed the link because it's easier to listen to on this website. The other one had 29 videos you had to load.
I had a listen to that, and the only songs that grab me is the Starlight? (track 8?) one and the very last song called something Forest, its after the modern Fire song, sorry this is a bit garbled, I cant find the actual songs on Youtube and I cant remember the track names, but the others are bland bland bland No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Meh about sums it up.  No inspiration like in LotR.  I did like the modernistic, tightly clustered Flies and Spiders the most.  Thrice Welcome is the only memorable melody, but it's a very basic descending motif; memorable due to simplicity rather than inspiration.

Shore's faxing it in.  I'd like to think it's because he can recognize quality in a movie, and doesn't see any.  The only great music we've gotten from these movies is "over misty mountains cold", which came during the only scene everybody seems to agree was decent. Or maybe because he had to have that one written before they could do any filming, so he wasn't demoralized yet.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Possibly Thorin meeting Gandalf in Bree. I'm not sure if there was a definite answer here before, but can they legally include this scene in the movie?
They can, but they will be treading a very fine legal line when it comes to drawing on the account in Appendix A and the more fleshed out account in Unfinished Tales. I'm not sure where they'd fit the Bree thing though. I don't recall any word of it being in AUJ-EE; is this going to be a flashback in DOS? I hope not. No
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:31 pm

well It's not in the AUJ EE Eldo. So it has to be something from DOS maybe in a flash back in Beorn's home taking the place for the Battle of Moria.Which from my understanding was supposed to be at Beorn's. But moved to the prologue of AUJ instead. The appendices of Jackson's hobbit is where I heard that info (at least about the Moria battle sequence being moved)

From my understanding the prologue of DOS will be more of the Battle of Moria though this time following Thrain, and finding out where he went and what happened to him.

Last edited by Sinister71 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to say something)
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Eldorion wrote:
They can, but they will be treading a very fine legal line
Wouldn't it be ironic if the Tolkien estate ended up suing Jackson for being too close to Tolkien's text ? :facepalm: 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:24 pm

That would be funny. Laughing I don't think it will happen though. PJ and the Coven have already strayed close too forbidden material before (and have openly stated that they took ideas from posthumously published works), but they're smart enough not to open themselves up to legal liability by copying specifics verbatim.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:59 pm

"but they're smart enough not to open themselves up to legal liability by copying specifics verbatim." - Eldo

Well, they've never done that with the stuff they actually got the rights to do it with either Laughing

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Eldo; Which parts did you think came to close to other Tolkien writings in AUJ?

As for a law suit I think the one about the gambling machines and theme park rides are still in the courts?

Also the Tolkien estate has already hit their head on the wall a couple of times in the american courts where, in my opinion, the reverence for multi-billion dollar grossing businesses is a little to high.

They are probably still keeping a close eye on the Hobbit movies for any infractions, as Jacksons treatment of the Hobbit can have done no good to the relationship between the groups.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 am

Actually, the thing that came to mind first for me was Aragorn's story about Luthien in Fellowship of the Ring. I don't have my books in front of me though so I can't check how much information about Luthien was given in the books compared to what was stated in the movies. I'm pretty sure there was a comment in the EE documentaries about how they read The Silmarillion and/or other posthumous Tolkien works while writing the films, but I could be misremembering as its been quite some time since I've seen those.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am

Bluebottle wrote:Eldo; Which parts did you think came to close to other Tolkien writings in AUJ?

As for a law suit I think the one about the gambling machines and theme park rides are still in the courts?
It's still ongoing. As of July 11th, Warner Brothers was given the go ahead by the judge to pursue its counter suit. It's the long road of defeat. Where will it end? When the rights to the Silmarillion are acquired? There's a nightmare for me.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:34 am

Eldorion wrote:
I did something kinda similar, trying to appear discerning by saying that the Hobbit films would be a disappointment all the way back in February 2009. :DThough I like to think I wasn't speaking from ignorance.  I got flamed for it when I made that post on another forum, but I saved a copy of it so I could do an "I told you to so" to everyone.  {{{I was 14 when I wrote the post, I wasn't the most mature then (or now). Razz}}}

http://eldorion.com/tolkienpurism/hobbitchanges/prediction/
Thanks for the link. As necessarily vague as your predictions were, I found them quite prescient (if that's the word). The most interesting thing about the post was to remind me how much has changed concerning these films in the last few years. I guess we should have seen it coming!

Bungobaggins wrote:
Whenever I see them talking about having "faith in PJ" it makes me think of evangelical christians. I am fascinated and frightened by them (evangelical christians), the people on torn don't really frighten me. I've seen so many similar statements "trust in PJ" etc. So you'll trust the guy who FILMED aragorn fighting sauron???? Not that he just considered it at one point and abandoned the concept, but he and the writers felt they needed to have this to fit screenwriting basics, and then FILMED it. At one point it was going to be in the final product.

You have "faith" in the people who didn't even know what the point of the story was? I've learned in my life through my experiences that faith is an extremely flimsy concept and should be tossed out the window, other people can't be trusted, especially when there is evidence showing that they shouldn't be trusted.

I am convinced that these people would like the movie no matter what happenes in it. Imagine tauriel killing bilbo in the elf kings hall and then she becomes the main character, I am convinced that some people over there would find a way to excuse it, and some would profess love for the change.

Torn, pffffff what a fucking joke. Forged by and for fans of Peter Jackson.
Oh geez. Calm down there. And can we get over ourselves and our obsession with profiling?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 am

Here's all the 30 second clips in one video.

The first one sounds like something I'd expect from a Philip Glass symphony. Suspect 

Oscillating thirds and what-not.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:54 am

Now the real question that remains to be seen is how much of the music on the CD soundtrack will appear in the film's score.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 am

Apparently this is legit. Sculpture of Smaug's head has been erected in Bucharest. Apparently there is also an official DOS emblem on it somewhere. Funny how that wasn't photographed as well, ya know...proof.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 TIlFWu0iqt5w1SfETdUdUmvPXHmyBCBQD8wunMgRxM8=w363-h512

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 GAFgTYe

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:46 am

Why does the Quest for Erebor sound like Gollum's theme in places and why does Barrels out of Bond have elements from Hobbiton's music?

Hmmmmm I smell a conspiracy here Suspect 

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 am

I think the stuff from Barrels out of Bond are Bilbo's themes, including the "fussy" theme. (Edit: Oh, wait. I don't know. It does sound like generic Shire music at the beginning. Pffff. Sleep )

I don't remember what Gollum's theme was.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:05 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Bungobaggins wrote:
Whenever I see them talking about having "faith in PJ" it makes me think of evangelical christians. I am fascinated and frightened by them (evangelical christians), the people on torn don't really frighten me. I've seen so many similar statements "trust in PJ" etc. So you'll trust the guy who FILMED aragorn fighting sauron???? Not that he just considered it at one point and abandoned the concept, but he and the writers felt they needed to have this to fit screenwriting basics, and then FILMED it. At one point it was going to be in the final product.

You have "faith" in the people who didn't even know what the point of the story was? I've learned in my life through my experiences that faith is an extremely flimsy concept and should be tossed out the window, other people can't be trusted, especially when there is evidence showing that they shouldn't be trusted.

I am convinced that these people would like the movie no matter what happenes in it. Imagine tauriel killing bilbo in the elf kings hall and then she becomes the main character, I am convinced that some people over there would find a way to excuse it, and some would profess love for the change.

Torn, pffffff what a fucking joke. Forged by and for fans of Peter Jackson.
Oh geez. Calm down there. And can we get over ourselves and our obsession with profiling?
Well to be fair and honest Forest, Bungo is quite correct on the attitude over at TORn. If you have issues with Peter Jackson's take on the Hobbit and don't back down. You find yourself on the outside looking in. While they claim to be a Tolkien site "forged for and by fan's of Tolkien" they certainly don't want any Tolkien thoughts that contradict Jackson's ideas. I know that is why I was banned. I posted definitions about fan fiction and the Tolkien estates views on fan fiction. Next thing I knew I was slapped with a ban. I was not rude or disrespectful to anyone just responding to other posters about the topic of fanfiction. So I presented the dictionaries definition of it. Many disagreed about it, many of whom post the same exact Jackson worshiping statements in their posts over and over again. Then as soon as something real and logical that was fact was presented, they got disrespectful and rude. kind of sounds like double standards to me.

TORn get exclusives from Jackson, WETA, and other sources first which IMO is why they are so Jackson friendly with their site. You bite the hand that feeds you wont be getting those exclusives. which would surely hurt its street cred with all the Jackson butt smoochers, who think his films are perfection. Many TORn posters are great people who think freely but then you have the majority who are those who worship Jackson and what he has done. TORn staffers get invited to events around the world to see Jackson's stuff. So IMO they are biased and the website which claims to be for Tolkien fans is not so anymore unless you are polite and accepting without stirring the waters of what Peter Jackson has done to Tolkien's works.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 am

bungobaggins wrote:Apparently this is legit. Sculpture of Smaug's head has been erected in Bucharest. Apparently there is also an official DOS emblem on it somewhere. Funny how that wasn't photographed as well, ya know...proof.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 TIlFWu0iqt5w1SfETdUdUmvPXHmyBCBQD8wunMgRxM8=w363-h512

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 11 GAFgTYe
No complaints about the head. But what I've seen so far of Smaug he seems too sinister to me, not the type who would engage a hobbit in rather charming boastful chit-chat before attempting to roast him. I'm afraid they took all the personality out of him.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 am

Yeah, I'm not going to apologize for my torn crabbit. From my experiences I feel that it's justified, and sometimes I really just need to vent about it.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 am

Why did Ian McKellen nearly quit acting during production on 'The Hobbit?'

Read more: http://thehobbitmovienews.blogspot.com/2013/11/why-did-ian-mckellen-nearly-quit-acting.html#ixzz2kxhWiHeC
Follow us: @newhobbitnews on Twitter

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 am

chris63 wrote:Why did Ian McKellen nearly quit acting during production on 'The Hobbit?'

Read more: http://thehobbitmovienews.blogspot.com/2013/11/why-did-ian-mckellen-nearly-quit-acting.html#ixzz2kxhWiHeC
Follow us: @newhobbitnews on Twitter
I remember reading this elsewhere as well. Sure makes you feel sympathetic for him, even if things are exaggerated somewhat.
I found it hilariously ironic that, due to my slow connection, the only thing I could see for a couple seconds was a solid green screen. Razz 

And Bungobaggins, I acknowledge your position concerning TORN, and find it acceptable. I merely took offense at the whole "evangelical Christians" thing. It is profiling, in an unpleasant way, and never sits right with me. We shall have to not apologize to each-other together on that one.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:00 am

Smaug is a sinister drake, he killed countless children and innocents so whether or not his cunning includes chit chat he is evil beyond measure and cruel and so his features should show that at least I think so. Otherwise I think, if he did not look like that I hardly think the dwarves would have run so easily. They are pretty stubborn and I an see them yelling to the women an children, if indeed there were any, to run and tell others and maybe fight til practically the last man fell. Especially Thorin and his father and grandfather.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next