Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 12 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 am

He did have a beguiling quality in the books though. People calling him Smaug the magnificent and Gandalf making a point of mentioning his intelligence.

I agree with Halfwise that it would be a problem if that quality was lost for "movie making reasons."

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:Actually, the thing that came to mind first for me was Aragorn's story about Luthien in Fellowship of the Ring.  I don't have my books in front of me though so I can't check how much information about Luthien was given in the books compared to what was stated in the movies.  I'm pretty sure there was a comment in the EE documentaries about how they read The Silmarillion and/or other posthumous Tolkien works while writing the films, but I could be misremembering as its been quite some time since I've seen those.
I think Aragorn tells the Hobbit at least part of the story of Tinuviel at Weathertop, though there is obviously a lot more in the Silmarillion and elsewhere. Don't really remembered how much was shown in the movie, so there might be parts they had to take from elsewhere.

But I think it's quite obvious that some influence from the Silmarillion and other works will have crept through in places.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I really hope they show Smaugs character and dont turn him into some generic baddie, I imagine Smaug like a mixture of Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Notingham and Hannibal Lector. Fascinating, vain but totally bonkers Flying Frying killer.,
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I imagine Smaug like a mixture of Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Notingham and Hannibal Lector. Fascinating, vain but totally bonkers Flying Frying killer.,
If they can pull that off (and I think BC is an actor who could do it) I could forgive them a lot of other stupidity.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:06 pm

I know the voice for Smaug is gonna be incredible. Now what he actually says and looks like are the points that the character could fail. Or could be simply amazing. I just don't have that kind of faith in Peter Jackson to get everything right. He always seems to go one step too far in his interpretation for my tastes. So far I see more from DOS than I did from AUJ that looks good. The best parts of AUJ were the parts that stuck to the book which probably will be the same in DOS. Time will tell and we are less than a month away

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:17 pm

From what I've heard of Smaug, as I said above I think he's too sinister. No charm at all. Tolkien described him as having a rather overwhelming personality, not knee shaking terrifying with every word.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah, I feel like Smaug will make or break this movie. It can be salvaged if Smaug is great, but if he sucks, then it's going to be very dismal.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm

I don't think he'll suck so much as be wrong.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Hasn't Jackson already got the pronounciation of his name wrong? Certainly doesn't bode well.

I think it's a real shame they couldn't get Freeman and Cumberbatch in one place so they could really have a go at playing off each other. With the budget these films are made with that is pretty astounding.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
I think it's a real shame they couldn't get Freeman and Cumberbatch in one place so they could really have a go at playing off each other. With the budget these films are made with that is pretty astounding.
They should have just done dialogue during lunch while Sherlock was filming.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Martin Freemans house the day after the Hobbit film comes out. I bet he either just goes to the pub like nothing happened, or as he sits watching the telly he occasionally shudders to himself as he remembers the cringe making schmoozing he had to do at the request of the suits.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Hasn't Jackson already got the pronounciation of his name wrong? Certainly doesn't bode well.

A lot of things are pretty astounding compared to the budget they have. It's noticeably larger than LOTR, but where is all the money going? Not to prosthetics or miniatures or sets.

Another thing I've been wondering is if the difference in the production team has affected the film at all. I've been watching the LOTR appendices and I keep thinking that if the same people who worked on LOTR stayed for the Hobbit, would it be such a Hollywood style film. Viggo says something really important (it was some eerily accurate foreshadowing) about how big budget films can make you forget about what your really trying to do and how you can get caught up in the hype of it all and completely forget the source material and the values that you set out with. The director of District 9 said the same thing when talked to about making Elysium. He didn't want to at first because the more money he borrowed, the more his hands were tied by the production companies. I wonder if PJ is the puppet and Sauron is elsewhere Shrugging 

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:06 pm

• Things going "boom!" - check.
• Old characters replaced by young hunks - check.
• Sequel tie-in - check.
• Jiggle vision - semi check.

You may be on to something, Tin.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Figg; Well, he's only an incidentary character in this movie after all. He's not a lead like Thorin, Bard or Gandalf. Laughing 

My guess is he's probably thinking that after this he won't have to work again unless he wants to and if they'll ask him to do something he's not that interested in they'll probably pay him a shedload to do it.

Tin; I'm not really sure.

Some of the changes they have made to the story like the need to invent a bad guy for the first movie, in Azog, the introduction of a female character in the next one and the turning of all the central characters into heroes seem straight out of a "Hollywood movie production" text book.

But a lot of the things that doesn't really work with the movie is stuff Peter Jackson is championing, like the hfr and overuse of green screen.

So it's hard to say really, probably a bit of both.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 am

Bluebottle wrote:But a lot of the things that doesn't really work with the movie is stuff Peter Jackson is championing, like the hfr and overuse of green screen.
It's is a shame because some of these things Jackson's been using the Hobbit as vehicle to promote may have been great in a different genre or setting. Middle Earth wasn't the place to do it though.
And yeah, Jackson and co write very hamfistedly in my opinion. The only reason Azog is there is because basic movie making logic says each film must have an antagonist. The protagonist has to be handsome and relate-able hence Thorin "not Aragorn". Every character has to have an arc hence Faramir; it's only a shame he forgot about the most important character in the book: The Hobbit himself!

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:23 am

I just re-watched one of the TV spots for AUJ. I remember being so excited.

Razz 

One year later.

Extremely Crabbit 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:25 am

bungobaggins wrote:I just re-watched one of the TV spots for AUJ. I remember being so excited.

Razz 

One year later.

Extremely Crabbit 
I had nerdgasms for every new Developer Diary. I had a heck of a time trying to find other people who were as interested in talking about them as I was.

I remember I was talking to a friend over lunch (I was helping him and his dad with orchard work (being paid that is)) and we had been sitting there for a while. I went ahead and blurted out what was in my head, something about how Gollum could have bitten off Frodo's finger if he only had nine teeth and wondering which ones they were. Anyway, his estimation of my geeky-ness went up a good amount after that.
Le sigh. I had to explain the importance of such things to him after that.   Razz

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Lesigh

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:32 am

Me too. I didn't even know a hobbit movie was being made until the first trailer was released in December 2011 (I was totally out of the loop). I didn't have anything to do the day the trailer was released. So I waited around...ALL day. The trailer was released at 9pm CST, if I remember correctly. There was so much promise and hope. Neutral 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 am

bungobaggins wrote:There was so much promise and hope. Neutral 
And then you saw the movie.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Obi-Wan-Scream

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:22 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:There was so much promise and hope. Neutral 
And then you saw the movie.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Obi-Wan-Scream
RA, that just made my night. lol! 

I'd love to see a Plinkett review of The Hobbit movies.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 pm

There's a new TV spot with some Smaug Bilbo dialogue

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:37 pm

omg, the top youtube comment.

Some explanations why Legolas is int he movie:The Hobbit movie is not based on The Hobbit book,it is based on The Hobbit book + scripts at the end of Lotr book what have some things what were happening at the time at The Hobbit book,but these things are not in The Hobbit book.Tolkien wnted to re-write The Hobbit after Lotr,to fit it in nicely,but he died.Legolas lives at the time of The Hobbit book,cause he is Thranduil's son,and elves can't die by natural death.So, how would You explain if Legolas is not in the movie? Where is he then?
Tolkien wnted to re-write The Hobbit after Lotr,to fit it in nicely,but he died.
but he died.
my sides

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Oh+god+my+sides+just+ripped+off+_f350c1cd067c560578cda0cab9aee4eb

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm

This reminds me of Wisey Banks (sp?) and his channeling, or whatever that was called. Good thing Peter Jackson (and Co.) are around to finish Tolkien's work for him!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Why on earth do they feel the need to include lines like "The Darkness is coming" and "bla bla doomed bla bla prophecy-like bull****" everywhere? Mad

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Why on earth do they feel the need to include lines like "The Darkness is coming" and "bla bla doomed bla bla prophecy-like bull****" everywhere? Mad
Because it's dramatic, donchya know? Saucy Wink
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 39 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next