Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Norc
20 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [6] - Page 7 Empty Re: Doctor Who [6]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Agree its very much an ok episode- nothing wrong with it and nothing that special- nice bit of camaraderie between the two main leads however. Does bother me the Doctor is so naive about everyday human life though- the 11th doesn't seem to remember much of all that time he spent stuck on earth as the 3rd Doctor (it was about 700 years ago mind you) but you'd think on a 1970's army base he would have encountered football before.

Have you seen the 'sequel' episode Closing Time reuniting Craig and the Doctor?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Norc wrote:i think it shows a dedicated and selfless actress. more of those please.

Amen! Go Karen!!! Yes, this is me cheering on Karen. Petty, take a screen shot. Wink ((I don't love Amy, that's all. Would be interesting to see her in other roles.)

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 pm

yes, agree Am (althouh i liked amy pond). i don't know alot about this nebula character, but a scottish one Shrugging i am intrigued Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 pm

ok I seem to have missed a couple of episodes. erm I just watched the first part of a Hungry Earth.
Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 am

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/british-tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a500032/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-to-feature-return-of-the-daleks-pictures.html

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 am

No wonder you didnt like Amy and Rory Mrs Figg you seem to have missed out some rather crucial episodes regard those two, as well as watched them all out of order.

Im actually not a huge fan of the Hungry Earth two parter but it has its moments and some good performances. Very 3rd Doctor feel too it and thats no mistake as it was the 3rd Doctor who first encountered the Silurians (but in a better story).
And yup shades of Quatermass, but thats ok as the two shows have a history- did you know the main character in last series episde Hide was supposed to be Quatermass but they couldnt sort the rights out in time. Shame that, wouldnt have changed a thing story wise but would have been a nice touch to old scifi fans like me!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 am

Interesting Chris-
Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 pm

''No wonder you didnt like Amy and Rory Mrs Figg you seem to have missed out some rather crucial episodes regard those two, as well as watched them all out of order'' Petty

It wouldnt have made any difference. I dislike them even more now. Specially Rory.

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 pm

What about the episode where Rose swaps with Cassandra and large parts of the episode then revolve around her cleavage and how many ways they can shoot her either bending over gyrating and running her hands over her own body, or from above?

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Well how am I to know you only watched half of it if you dont say that? Mad  That is so typically, female.
Im not a mind reader, and if I were I wouldnt read a womans mind anyway- bloody confusing enough looking in from the outside Eru knows what its like from the inside looking out! pale 
And I wasnt very spoilery anyway- nothing you couldnt have easily worked out or that isnt in the coming next bit at the end of ep 1- and the really important spoilery stuff in this one I havent mentioned at all.

the Moffat/writer thing was supposed to be funny not serious- Figg

Well lets be honest when it comes to Moffat you are more often sarcastic than not, especially in relation to the subject of Amy's skirt length, so you can hardly blame me for assuming you were being so again. Shrugging 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 pm

dunno about you guys, but i've been following the comic con and nerd HQ (i think it's called that) about who and i recommend it, it's great fun Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 am

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 am

cheers yeey..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:11 pm

just watched the two parter Pandorica Opens and Big Bang. what utter tripe.
Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 pm

That's how it struck me too, Mrs Figg. The internal logic felt like a house of cards that would topple at the slightest inspection.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 pm

It could have been quite good. There were bits that seemed to be going in interesting directions and then went silly. I liked the extinction of time bit and the Pandoras box theme, but it was ruined by terrible dialogue and River Song being a truly unsympathetic character. I actually like Amy in these episodes, she is the only one that seems remotely 'real'. There was just too much 'stuff' crammed in.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Young Amy was the anchor for me. Her matter-of-fact approach to all the craziness was charming!
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm

yes I agree Young Amy was the best thing in it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 pm

At the end of "The Pandorica Opens" when all the suns were exploding, my sister hummed the 1812 Overture. I laughed so hard I cried.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 pm

POTENTIAL SPOILER ABOVE, SORRY.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Bloody hell where to start!

Right, first I am overjoyed Mrs Figg you are warming to Matt, I have honestly never understood how someone could not appreciate his performance, it is to me like saying Bach wasn't very good at composing.
And even in your critique of Pandorcia/Big Bang you make conciliatory nods to stuff you do like, and I just want you to know thats not appreciated at all! Mad It was much easier for me when you were stubbornly obstinate, now I have to put some work in to countering some of your points! Mad 

My main thing I object to, in order of severity, that you say against Pandorica is this one-

"Basically they made it up as they went along and it was shit."

Particularly the first bit, as your entitled to think what you like about the result.
The ending is set up from the very beginning, with the crack in the wall and the effect it has across Amy's life time, especially with regards to her memory and its ability to directly effect the real universe, a theme built up across the entirety of series 5 in episodes like the Angels two parter, Vincent and the Doctor.
and the TARDIS being the source of the explosion is revealed as the cliffhanger to the Hungry Earth/Cold Blood episodes.
And a scene form the finale takes place during the Angels two parter, half a series earlier.
Not to mention all the other themes that coalesce around the final episodes.

It also does make internal sense within the logic of the show that has been presented. And no point does it break Who rules of story telling. There is reason for everything including the paradox given in the script.

Which incidentally brings you into this Dave for this,

"The internal logic felt like a house of cards that would topple at the slightest inspection."

Perhaps either or both of you could give some examples of where you felt it was being thrown together or the internal logic was flawed, as you may just have missed something (I know I did first couple of viewings), as one complaint you have Mrs Figg I agree with it is jam packed (but then it also moves along very quickly which is good). It could maybe have done with being their first three parter.

Right next in order of wrongness!

"trite dialogue"

Given this has one of my all time favourite Who scenes in it, and its entirely dialogue based I cant agree.
Matts delivery and Moffats writing for his speech beside Amelia's bed is in my view stunning from all angles.
I already loved Matts' interpretation, but this was the scene that really sold me on their being an truly ancient soul behind that youthful face.
All the weight of the Doctor's years come out in his face somehow, and the dialogue matches the performance and informs it.
And for me Moffat handles expertly and better than most Who writes the balance of entertaining all his age groups at once.
If you can find me a kid who doesn't love all the fez stuff and some of the sillier aspects you will have discovered the worlds dullest child.

I agree with you both that young Amy is excellent, I think she is in every appearance she makes in the series.

Ah that felt good. Thanks Figgs!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 pm

My work here is done. Cool 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm

As regards the dialogue most of it is painful, maybe that one scene you mention is ok but a lot of it boils down to Rory and Amy running round like headless chickens, the dialogue felt amaturish in a lot of places and clunky in others. There was too much stuff going on, it felt like three different episodes stuffed together to try and make an 'epic' but it just felt diluted and messy as a result. It had all these themes running around in it jumping about in a haphazard way.
River is vile in these episodes, the scene with the Dalek was disgusting and she's still endlessly parading her non-stop smug catchphrases, even carving one of the monstrocities on a Cliff. She also almost totally ignores Amy, which is weird to watch.
Moffat Self-Indulgence really starts to come through in Bang, as any semblance of drama and excitement gives way to farting about with time and a non-stop spiel of meaningless gibberish. The time travel bit is actually quite interesting if they didnt fart about with the sound bites. There's too much running around, too much breathless exposition and too many glib wisecracks which is possibly a smokescreen for the fact that not a lot of it makes any actual sense even for Dr Who  it feels like Moffat Bullshit, incoherent gibberish.
'We're just the last light to go out' These are just like after-images, echoes, fossils in time, the footprints of the never-were'  'You're an anomaly! We're all just hanging on at the eye of the storm!'
Break all of these examples down and you're left with meaningless random, arty-farty images thrown together. They may sound deeply poetic, but they don't actually make any sense. There are more plot holes than a Swiss cheese, how the heck has Rory become an Auton plastic Rory, how the heck can Amy think the Doctor back into existence? why is the Pandorica a prison, a stasis field, a resurrection machine, a ship, does it  wash dishes too? everything but the kitchen sink, it IS the kitchen sink.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next