CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
27 posters

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Oscar Watch - Page 10 Empty Re: Oscar Watch

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 am

I agree with bungo about the likelihood. I'd actually love to see a deleted scenes reel. That's one of the very few things that the EE extras could have been improved by.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:36 am

well the EE of AUJ sucked it really had nothing but the video blogs on it. other than that nothing. DOS was betterTBOT5A had better be something and all the LOTR and Hobbit films should have more behind the scenes stuff its more interesting than the actual movies to me

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:42 am

That was the theatrical cut of AUJ.  The EE had a full set of "Appendices" documentaries just like the LOTR releases.

And the LOTR EEs are still the gold-standard in terms of both scope and depth of detail when it comes to movie extras.  I can't think of a single other film that comes close, other than The Hobbit trilogy. I suppose something like Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse would, but that was a stand-alone documentary, not something created solely for a DVD release.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:36 am

The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven would have bumped the film from it's theatrical 39% on Rotten Tomatoes to well into the 80s if such things were re-scored by critics.

It is an amazing transformation of the characters and story. It literally adds in all the depth that people said the film lacked.
Of course, I brought this up with Petty ages ago, and he said how the other versions of Wicker Man had to be seen. I held up my end of the bargain and watched them (slappy naked seduction scene and all), but I think he has yet to see the better version of Kingdom of Heaven... Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Average review, not "mediocre."
"All's well that ends well"
"The result is at once the trilogy’s most engrossing episode, its most expeditious (at a comparatively lean 144 minutes) and also its darkest "
' “Battle” sports the most austere and forbidding look of the “Hobbit” films (courtesy of series lenser Andrew Lesnie), entirely absent the overly bright, backlot feel that pervaded “An Unexpected Journey” and parts of “Smaug.” '

Not mediocre reviews at all. Unless you mean the review itself is a mediocre attempt at a review.

Ayup FS...

Have to disagree there. What makes it 'Mediocre' in tone for me, is the yawn I can hear from the reviewer all over the review. Almost literally 'Bored of the Rings' (remember that ?) As if even 'Battle' was too much, special effects-wise to take in even after what, 12 years of LOTR ? and that this stretched Trilogy doesnt even have the energy, or indeed, story content, of the 'Old stuff' (my words) to come.

Whats also interesting to me, is the wish, expressed by a few commentators, certainly on Torn, of potentially using all the props left over from all this LOTR Sheanigans to bugger off somewheres and go do a mini-series or something. Personally, I'd like a remake of ROTK, as the originals more than bloody awful. Mind you, Mini-series are, by tradition, awful too.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:If they do end up releasing "anniversary editions" I don't think they'll include any extra footage into the finished films. They'll most likely be unfinished/unscored/unsfx'd deleted scenes.

that's cool,  Thumbs Up  too I like that behind the scenes stuff pub

I started a thread on this a while ago, I managed to dig up quite alot of info about extra footage for LOTR, not sure if you've read it or not:

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t976-unreleased-deleted-scenes-from-the-trilogy-etc

From memory there was at least some deleted scenes for AUJ and DOS, but info is rather scarce on the ground for the second trilogy (not that you'd care Wink ) when it was restructured from 2 to 3 films, alot of scenes were apparently jettisoned or reworked (many of which were only rumoured) add in the numerous recastings and reshoots (like poor Conan Stevens-Azog then Bolg, he actually gave an interview to TORn shortly before DOS came out, reassuring the fans he was still in the film...he wasn't Lawrence Makoare is credited as Bolg) it's more than likely you could construct and entirely alternate cut for both trilogies if the deleted scenes were ever released.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven would have bumped the film from it's theatrical 39% on Rotten Tomatoes to well into the 80s if such things were re-scored by critics.

It is an amazing transformation of the characters and story. It literally adds in all the depth that people said the film lacked.
Of course, I brought this up with Petty ages ago, and he said how the other versions of Wicker Man had to be seen. I held up my end of the bargain and watched them (slappy naked seduction scene and all), but I think he has yet to see the better version of Kingdom of Heaven... Mad

Kingdom of Heaven Directors cut is a masterpeice (other than Orlando Bloom) and further testament Ridley Scott is a very talented Director who makes some very bad decisions, it was recently re-released in the USA on Blu Ray in a '10th Anniversary Edition' containing loads of special features, and the theatrical cut for comparison:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Heaven-10th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B00MHIKRXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1417629471&sr=1-1&keywords=kingdom+of+heaven+ultimate+edition

According to the screenwriter, William Monahan there might be another version in circulation:

I’m a huge fan of director’s cuts or reassemblies if they’re good, but I remember being really excited about the restored version of Apocalypse Now, and then I preferred the original film. Kingdom of Heaven as a director’s cut is the real picture, but in fact someone recently told me that there was another cut, the original first cut, which he said was just extraordinary. I’ve never seen it—and of course now I want to, if it exists, and so would everybody else.
Read more at http://collider.com/william-monahan-london-boulevard-departed-sequel-interview/#gTCXFUpFLcVb294u.99

That is of course, a old interview, and there is no way of knowing if it is accurate (it may simply refer to the assembly cut).

I live in hope...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm

"Whats also interesting to me, is the wish, expressed by a few commentators, certainly on Torn, of potentially using all the props left over from all this LOTR Sheanigans to bugger off somewheres and go do a mini-series or something.".......Feanor.

No ! Burn all the props & costumes no longer needed,OR,sell them individually, not as a consignment, to fans etc. There's far to many imitation & lookalike films out there now. All of them have something that you can say looks like it was pinched from LOTRs, Ive even heard the same, Or very similar, lines being said, Its hard enough these days to get any originality in films & TV

Oscar Watch - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oscar Watch - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm

azriel wrote:"Whats also interesting to me, is the wish, expressed by a few commentators, certainly on Torn, of potentially using all the props left over from all this LOTR Sheanigans to bugger off somewheres and go do a mini-series or something.".......Feanor.

No ! Burn all the props & costumes no longer needed,OR,sell them individually, not as a consignment, to fans etc. There's far to many imitation & lookalike films out there now. All of them have something that you can say looks like it was pinched from LOTRs, Ive even heard the same, Or very similar, lines being said, Its hard enough these days to get any originality in films & TV

I remember reading Jackson wanted to set up a museum to store all the costumes/sets in after LOTR ended, apparently there was some sort of legal issue at the time, maybe he will try again. Though I have little interest at the moment in further adaptations, it would be a shame to see all the props/artwork/sets from the films destroyed or put into permanent storage to gather dust, the art direction in the films is one of the few things it's hard to get crabbit about (especially given it was partially inspired by the art work of John Howe and Alan Lee, both of whom have regularly been chosen to illustrate editions of Tolkien's work) , though not always faithful to the books, it's damn creative (and often, impressive) stuff and I'd hate to see it forgotten, the crew and fans deserve the opportunity to have their accomplishments preserved imo.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:22 pm

but I think he has yet to see the better version of Kingdom of Heaven.- Forest

I have in fact now seen the directors cut Forest- and I would agree its a considerably better told story. Unfortunately one of the central issues I had with the theatrical cut remains -Bloom cant carry a film, he is just not leading man material he's a supporting artist.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:26 pm

feanor 1999 wrote:
Ayup FS...

Have to disagree there. What makes it 'Mediocre' in tone for me, is the yawn I can hear from the reviewer all over the review. Almost literally 'Bored of the Rings' (remember that ?) As if even 'Battle' was too much, special effects-wise to take in even after what, 12 years of LOTR ? and that this stretched Trilogy doesnt even have the energy, or indeed, story content, of the 'Old stuff' (my words) to come.
Ah, so it's not so much the words and phrases that the critic used in their review, but rather the feeling you got from reading the review. Razz
Well, that could be chalked up to projection of your own emotions onto the writing, as it was really a positive review.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 pm

talking of John Howe somebody I spoke to on TORn (before I got banned) had the great idea of turning John Howes drawings into animation. I would love that, his drawings have a noble grandeur to them which fits LOTR very well.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:talking of John Howe somebody I spoke to on TORn (before I got banned)  had the great idea of turning John Howes drawings into animation. I would love that, his drawings have a noble grandeur to them which fits LOTR very well.

I love that idea I love you Nod probably be a bit expensive/time consuming for the artists though (I may be wrong, but in 'Letters' I recall Tolkien voicing his dislike of animated films), I always felt The Hobbit could work better as animated film than live action.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Ayup...

He He He...

Just Imagine, San Diego Comic-conned 2015. Cosplay abounds in original Hobbit and LOTR finery... all around the stalls and in the Lecture halls. Original Latex feet and ears melt under the lights... Sweet. Almost Like one of my Fave episodes of American Dad, All about steve.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 pm

feanor 1999 wrote:Ayup...

He He He...

Just Imagine, San Diego Comic-conned 2015. Cosplay abounds in original Hobbit and LOTR finery... all around the stalls and in the Lecture halls. Original Latex feet and ears melt under the lights... Sweet. Almost Like one of my Fave episodes of American Dad, All about steve.

American Dad is great, much better than Family Guy recently it probably isn't a coincidence the showrunners on American Dad used to work on the former...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:but I think he has yet to see the better version of Kingdom of Heaven.- Forest

I have in fact now seen the directors cut Forest- and I would agree its a considerably better told story. Unfortunately one of the central issues I had with the theatrical cut remains -Bloom cant carry a film, he is just not leading man material he's a supporting artist.
Oh nice, good to hear Petty.
I agree about Orlando Bloom. He lacks sincerity and depth in his acting. A pained expression on his face reveals only one-dimension, while a better actor could layer multiple internal emotions into a single glance.

Did you have a chance to watch the making-of stuff? The historical authority that they used for the film is a rather hilariously pretentious windbag. He often says things like, "my peers of course disagree about my views on such-and-such, but they're all wrong."

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 am

Did you have a chance to watch the making-of stuff?- Forest

No, there were no extras with the version I saw unfortunately.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Bloom makes a great Elf when he isnt defying gravity and being a dick.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Yeah, well, he's alright at that I suppose.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 pm

And who says you cant run about all over a Mumak ( or elephant ) ? If Leggy can do it ?................

Oscar Watch - Page 10 Eleman_zps1b36ecd0

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Fake!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:43 pm

I dunno Forest ? but, the write up to it is here......

"Douglas Grove (Okavango Delta, Botswana) has always the most remarkable close-ups of his African elephants, crawling underneath them or on top of them, and enjoys an unusually close relationship with them. As you can see here, those elephants are BIG."

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Seems legit to me after a quick google search. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Cool!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Ayup All...

Did you all see ? PJs star on the Hollywood walk of (sh) fame... ? Even the Missus turned up, with the Ubiquitous Dark Glasses ! Now I KNOW PJs in for a barrel full of Oscars ! Huzzah !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next