CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
27 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Empty Re: Oscar Watch

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Dont you have to pay to get your own star? Is it not just a millionaire film makers/stars club?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:04 pm

You don't pay for a star.  It's run by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce (who also pick the selection committee) and is a major tourist attraction in LA. The Oscars, on the other hand, are selected by members of the film industry (well, those members who are part of the Academy).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Not entirely free according to wiki-

'A fee ($30,000 as of 2012) payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame.'

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:12 pm

I watched a little bit of the video that was posted online and was surprised to hear that Orlando Bloom had a star before PJ! To think he would have gotten one after the LOTR trilogy when a lot of people loved him.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Oscar noms are out.

One (1) nomination for Hobbit, in sound editing.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees?cid=oscars_nominees_announcement_cadillac

No visual effects nom, and rightfully so. The noms in that category are:

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
X-Men Days of Future Past

I saw three of these movies over the past year (Apes, Guardians, Interstellar) and BOFA's visual effects paled in comparison to those movies. There was nothing I hadn't seen in BOFA it was more of the same, and TBH most of it was pretty sub par and some of it shockingly bad.

As for who deserves that best visual effects oscar, I'd say it's a toss up between Interstellar and Apes. I feel that Interstellar deserves the oscar, though.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:19 pm

yep Interstellar should win, its was pretty great stuff. those planets were amazing, and the multi-dimension world.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 pm

1? Shocked So much for saving up the nominations for the last movie in a triology..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Ouch. Laughing Looking like this will indeed go the way of HP, then.

I actually haven't seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet, but I'd like to since I enjoyed the first movie.  But Interstellar had some great visuals and I'd be happy for it to win, no doubt.

Edit: I hope Interstellar doesn't win for Sound Editing though. The rocket launch and wormhole scenes were great, but I like being able to understand the actors during key moments of dialogue.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Edit: I hope Interstellar doesn't win for Sound Editing though.  The rocket launch and wormhole scenes were great, but I like being able to understand the actors during key moments of dialogue.

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Tumblr_inline_n7smbowsXk1r7ejbg

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Eldorion wrote:

I actually haven't seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet, but I'd like to since I enjoyed the first movie.  But Interstellar had some great visuals and I'd be happy for it to win, no doubt.

I really liked it, a lot more than the first one (mostly because there was no James Franco). So I'd definitely check it out. Yeah, Interstellar should win, though. Cooper falling into the black hole and the teseract was a fantastic sequence.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Bluebottle wrote:1? Shocked So much for saving up the nominations for the last movie in a triology..

Don't go over to torn, they're pretty upset about it. Razz

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:16 pm

They would be, wouldn't they. Razz

Not sure how much weight one should give Oscar nominations, but it does seem a definite snub.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure how much "politics" is involved. But seriously, the VFX in BOFA were a joke compared to Interstellar and Apes (and anyone expecting anything other than technical nominations for the Hobbit movies is in need of some serious mental help).

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I was kind of hoping Last Goodbye would get a nomination for best original song, but no cigar. Part of me thinks that it's the Academy protesting the HFR. Clearly the Academy is stuck in its ways, what with no people of color nominated for anything and no women nominated for director or screenwriter (Gillian what's her name for Gone Girl should have gotten a nod AT LEAST!) Times are changing Academy!!!!

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm not sure I feel it deserved any more nominations, or necessarily the one it got for that matter. Someone mentioned best make-up.. best costume design.. Maybe that. Shrugging

I thought someone on Torn put it well. The way these movies ended up, they've turned into run of the mill blockbusters. And people are treating them as such.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Eldorion wrote:Ouch. Laughing Looking like this will indeed go the way of HP, then.

Edit: I hope Interstellar doesn't win for Sound Editing though.  The rocket launch and wormhole scenes were great, but I like being able to understand the actors during key moments of dialogue.

I thought Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was pretty good. IMHO better than the first. But everyone is different.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Tumblr_inline_n7smbowsXk1r7ejbg
lol!

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:55 am

Smugdog

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how much "politics" is involved. But seriously, the VFX in BOFA were a joke compared to Interstellar and Apes (and anyone expecting anything other than technical nominations for the Hobbit movies is in need of some serious mental help).

Laughing The Oscars are always political, but I think there's been a certain "been there, done that" feeling surrounding The Hobbit movies.  And the VFX certainly weren't revolutionary or far ahead of everything else the way that LOTR's were.

bungobaggins wrote:I really liked it, a lot more than the first one (mostly because there was no James Franco). So I'd definitely check it out. Yeah, Interstellar should win, though. Cooper falling into the black hole and the teseract was a fantastic sequence.

Poor Franco. Sad I thought he was good enough in the first Apes movie.  But I think it's cool that the second seems to have gone in a very different direction from its predecessor.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Id be shocked & stunned if The Hobbit was even nominated for anymore than the only nomination it got ! You cannot award something that has no originality, has no decent script, piss poor acting, confusing & uninteresting scenes/locations, flits about from one muddled mess to another muddled mess leaving the viewer wondering who is who & what is what ! The title is misleading as the battle was worse than Ive ever seen. No logical build up, no tension, nothing. The conclusion was so poor it did beg the question what the hell was the point of a trilogy anyhow. The CGI was tired & boring, the whole film felt like the end of the week catch up for when youve missed the weekly episodes. Was GDTs name added purely so he could take share of the blame for this appalling crap ? If all else fails blame the last name on the list ? What could anyone say about the film as they were leaving the picture house ? How could you describe it to anyone who didnt see it ? After 5mins of someone babbling on youde give up & wouldnt give a dam ! The acting was so wooden it left sawdust on the floor. Richard Armitage did try to give it some depth, I will give him that but, it needed everyone to pull together, It didnt gel, not from the very first scene to the very last. It was stuttering, staggered & jarring. everyone was only interested in their own moment & it failed enormously to bind together & become 'one'. Ive never felt so indifferent to characters in a film as I did on this. I couldnt give a fook if ALL the cast & extras dropped dead & Smaug ate them for breakfast, "Hurray" Id shout, "Thats one less!"

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oscar Watch - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Maybe the HFR and 2=3 films decisions may have had an effect...

I think it may have deserved a few more noms, sound editing, costume design etc but no wins...

Interstellar definitely deserves wins in the technical categories i.m.o.

I don't get why people on TORn are upset in his recent interview Jackson said he had no regrets about how the films turned out, by his own admission then it's his fault they weren't nominated Laughing

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 am

On this subject the funniest thing i read was some knobule saying that any true Tolkien fan should love the song Last Goodbye and it should have been nominated. Last i checked Tolkien didn't write that piece of shite.

I don't think it deserved any others nominations despite calls for RA and Sir Ian for acting, best picture, best effects etc.

The common one seems to be effects but in bofa they were obvious and in some parts rubbish. Whereas in Apes I can't think of any part where I thought, wow that cgi is bad. Now days cgi should generally be seamless and near perfect realistic. So much of bofa was worse than some games, for example the dwarves arrival was just c-r-a-p.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 pm

the last goodbye was LOTR milking, and Sir Ian phoned in his performance. ok now and again RA could give a good twinkle but that's not enough for an award. The cgi was worse than 10 years ago.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:the last goodbye was LOTR milking, and Sir Ian phoned in his performance. ok now and again RA could give a good twinkle but that's not enough for an award. The cgi was worse than 10 years ago.

That is the part I don't understand the visual effects were better 10 years ago. Maybe it was the epic red cameras and the way the film was shot on digital. But I would have thought that would have helped. Obviously it didn't. So why did it all go wrong? I think it was the horrible overuse of it, and everything was so obviously fake and over the top, it was hard not to notice how spotty it was

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:54 pm

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2015/01/19/96670-the-hobbit-botfa-and-its-shocking-exclusion-from-the-oscar-race/

All I can say is: Get over it. Revenge of the Sith did not get Oscar nominations for visual effects, and I don't remember Star Wars fans throwing a hissy-fit over it.

There were a lot of great movies this year with better effects than BOFA that did not get nominated; Edge of Tomorrow and, Godzilla are the first that come to mind.

Did it ever cross their minds that maybe, just maybe, the effects really weren't that great when stacked up against the competition?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 am

bungobaggins wrote:http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2015/01/19/96670-the-hobbit-botfa-and-its-shocking-exclusion-from-the-oscar-race/

All I can say is: Get over it. Revenge of the Sith did not get Oscar nominations for visual effects, and I don't remember Star Wars fans throwing a hissy-fit over it.

There were a lot of great movies this year with better effects than BOFA that did not get nominated; Edge of Tomorrow and, Godzilla are the first that come to mind.

Did it ever cross their minds that maybe, just maybe, the effects really weren't that great when stacked up against the competition?

Bingo nailed it right on the head Bungo

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next