Norc
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next

Go down

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions for the Lore Masters.

Post by David H Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Could you provide a link to that image Elthir? I tried to find it and came up with a couple of her other horse pictures:

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 893E660C3EB3A789768FF1B23A160753

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 61ZPWNFE1JL._SS500_

The last one is clearly from after Tolkien's death so it means even less, but I see a bay in the foreground and a couple of chestnuts in the back.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Empty Re: Questions for the Lore Masters.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Um, in that first cover is it just the buckie or is that a pink horse? Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:34 pm

It may appear to be pink, but it's actually strawberry roan. Nod

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZypMNXnFw2Q4CsALjdUnmMZTUAoPqbrQy10TGrrCdNLwORjgF9w
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am

Wheres Yooper?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Strarwberries arent pink Dave! Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm

And by the way, just as a Strawberry Roan may appear pink, a Blue Roan may appear grey, but it's NOT! Suspect

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUQysR4DzIupmWYmMFVvFr2c3LR4t-HJB5s-ycVZKJCfQTnqSF-b0Gd9A_
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Mad Quite screwing with colour! Bad enough the whole white is grey thing, now pink is strawberry and grey is also blue! Its not on you know.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Google 'pauline baynes fellowship' and you should find her Bill (for anyone still looking)
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm

woaH! she drew this!?
Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Baynes2

my lotr book has this on it's cover and I thought I was a retard for having this as a cover, since none else had it! Shocked
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

btw.. this is a pink horse.
Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCVClaZwSG0V2-6dRgOJvgp0VhNGNMMza4mDc0J72bTc55ghY_pR0qhwyL8A
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Why would the cover of a book show the ass-end of the entire fellowship? Some editor needed to be tossed out the back door. I don't think you're the retard, Norc.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Norc wrote:woaH! she drew this!?
Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 8 Baynes2

my lotr book has this on it's cover and I thought I was a retard for having this as a cover, since none else had it! Shocked

Yes she did. It was published as the top part of her map (well, above the map) -- bad guys on the bottom, below the map.

The map Tolkien actually helped with. The above and below illustrations however, prompted some negative commentary from JRRT, despite that in general Tolkien was a fan of Pauline Baynes. And according to John Rateliff, Tolkien actually cropped the top and bottom of the original illustration when he had it framed for Joy Hill, thus leaving only the map section with its ten vignettes on the map itself.

Last edited by Elthir on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Shrugging because they have nice asses?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Baynes' Bill's a "Bay". :carrot:

{{Norc, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ignore you if you can't take this subject seriously! Mad }}
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Note too: Legolas' hair is hidden. Hammond and Scull have revealed that among Tolkien's still private comments (about this illustration), he did not reveal the colour of Legolas' locks.

That is, I don't think there is a strand of hair showing. I used to have this poster full size but it got ruined in a (minor) bursting of pipes. I have a puzzle with the image, and calendars too, but these are smaller versions if memory serves, the poster being fairly large. I would buy a book with the image... if I found one.

By the way, look at the feet of the Hobbits. Notice anything odd?
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Hobbits wearing shoes?! Can't say I'm impressed.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:49 pm

they all look a bit silly don't they? I

about legolas hair color, is it never mentioned? Ive seen him as both dark haired and blond.. but this woman, she was a friend of tolkiens? should't she know stuff like this? like hobbits being barefoot?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Norc wrote: like hobbits being barefoot?

I think there's a note from Tolkien on that. Hang on......

"There is in the text no mention of his acquiring of boots. There should be! It had dropped out somehow or other in the various revisions -- the bootings occurred at Rivendel; and he was again bootless after leaving Rivendell on the way home" (Letters No. 27)

That's from his picture of Bilbo with Smaug. I don't know if the same was true for the Fellowship.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:14 pm

wow! WHAT! BILBO USED SHOES!! mindblown..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Tolkien illustrated Bilbo with boots, but his reference (in the letter noted) to a written mention of the Rivendell booting doesn't seem to exist, or was lost; or in any case there is no actual known written reference to date.

I was wondering rather: do the Hobbits appear to have hair on the bottom of their feet? Or is this a representation of the leathery soles? I'm not sure I ever took the illustration as depicting shoes, but I wish I had a larger, clearer version in any case.

Baynes and Tolkien did meet in person at least once if I recall correctly, but there appears to be no indication (as yet) that she ever asked JRRT about Legolas' hair, nor about the matter of pointed ears in general.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 pm

How does one pronounce Arahad?
He's one of the chieftains of the Dunedain. I was reading the appendices yesterday and it was bugging me.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm

probably A-r-a-h-a-d? Laughing but what do I know, I aint a Loremaster. :carrot:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:54 pm

As much as I like reading Tolkien,I sometimes wish he'd chosen names easier to bloody pronounce! Tho I spose "Ernie the Dwarf" doesnt really have the same ring does it. Shocked
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:19 am

What sounds are you wondering about?

Going from memory the vowel a here (all of 'em) should be as in English father; and here the primary stress falls on the first syllable, like with Aragorn.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 am

Oh thanks, it was the stress I wasn't sure about.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next